KpdPipes

OK, Someone talk me out of a .38 Super

Found the basis for a .38 Super Open-class 1911 on one of the auction sites for a REALLY Sweet price. It looks like it needs some work, maybe a new barrel and trigger job, both of which i can do myself, already has an optic rail installed..all in all it SEEMS like a right place at the right time thing. Any thoughts???

Don't do it. No. Forget about it.. walk away... Wait... you say it has an optics rail? A really sweet price? You are in the market for a Open Class 1911? OK just buy it. ;p

If it is a 1911 your call.

If it is a 2011, all depends on the price, but I would consider a 9major "open" gun. Brass is so much cheaper and if you use it in USPSA or something else, have fun finding the brass.

I don't know much about 38 super so all I have is this:

can you get the ammo for a reasonable price at most sportig goods stores? If the answer to either is "no" then my follow up is; are you a reloader? If no still is the answer then you may want to look into something else.

That's all I have.

You don't want it. Too hard to find ammo, takes up soo much time to reload. Frustrating when you lose that expensive brass at the range. Just forget all about it....right after you send me the link to the auction. :D

Every time someone makes a bid the clock resets to 15 min...if somneone waits till ONE second before it ends and makes a bid..it resets the clock. Finally won it at $675.00 + $25.00 shipping

Don't you mean .38 special?

John Dillinger at one point in his criminal carrear used 38 super. It was said he preferd the round becuse it went through car doors and vests beter the 45acp did. This is a photo of a gun John Dillinger used, A machine pistol 1911 with a thompshon handle in 38 super.

400px-1911Full.jpg

• Like 3

link?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=231325340

Looks like it's going to need some work, but it can be my winter project for next year, plus that will give me time to build up componenets and work up a good load. I may keep it light and stick to Steel with it, rather than USPSA..haven't decided yet. Barrel, Bushing, Internals, Springs and a trigger job..... Brownells is going to LOVE Me this year LOL.

John Dillinger at one point in his criminal carrear used 38 super. It was said he preferd the round becuse it went through car doors and vests beter the 45acp did. This is a photo of a gun John Dillinger used, A machine pistol 1911 with a thompshon handle in 38 super.

Wow, bravo sir :good:

• Like 1

LOL, If you saw the movie Public Enemies you can see the gun being used by Baby Face Nelson for a moment in the Little Bohemia shootout. Heres a better pic of the 38 super machine pistol.

untitled.jpg

• Like 1

well i know that auction ended but it was a single stack, youre not going to get the 27+ rounds most open guys will get. for steel it would be nice if you dont mind the tube for the red dot, the comp isnt all that great, but you mentioned a barrel change anyway.

here is what i have to say about 38 super. if you are not reloading dont bother with open till you do its not worth it. if you are new to reloading dont load 9 major it can be tricky you really need to know the why and why not for everything like slow vs fast powder, why a certain overall length, barrel config. ie supported chamber possibly openeing up the throat. there is many more but 38 super is much easier to load and make major, there are more powders and you dont have to load long, at least i didnt.

super brass is expensive its hard to find used brass so you have to use new and not get upset when you cant find it on the range. it gets worse when you shoot supercomp and starline is always on backorder so you have to buy more than you want to pay for cause you cant risk running out.

9 major is much more finicky and tricky, but when you know the ins and out 9major will be the way to go. so only buy 9major if you are really experienced with reloading, or you have a close friend who is willing to walk you through the steps.

well i know that auction ended but it was a single stack, youre not going to get the 27+ rounds most open guys will get. for steel it would be nice if you dont mind the tube for the red dot, the comp isnt all that great, but you mentioned a barrel change anyway.

here is what i have to say about 38 super. if you are not reloading dont bother with open till you do its not worth it. if you are new to reloading dont load 9 major it can be tricky you really need to know the why and why not for everything like slow vs fast powder, why a certain overall length, barrel config. ie supported chamber possibly openeing up the throat. there is many more but 38 super is much easier to load and make major, there are more powders and you dont have to load long, at least i didnt.

super brass is expensive its hard to find used brass so you have to use new and not get upset when you cant find it on the range. it gets worse when you shoot supercomp and starline is always on backorder so you have to buy more than you want to pay for cause you cant risk running out.

9 major is much more finicky and tricky, but when you know the ins and out 9major will be the way to go. so only buy 9major if you are really experienced with reloading, or you have a close friend who is willing to walk you through the steps.

Thw one pictured in the above posts is from the FBI museum..it's the .38 Super Machine Pistol John Dillinger owned, NOT the one I purchased. The one I bought had no Comp, just a straight-crowned Kart Barrel. As for 27+ Rounds this is NJ, and im not going to risk my career for a game. IF I shoot uspsa with it it will be for fun with 10-rounders. Reloading, Yes i plan to, I'm not interested in 9-major and i'm well aware of the hazards with that I have a close friend who shoots 9-M open. So far I've found .38 super brass for around $150.00 per Thousand.

That said...i'm liking .38 Super more and more ballistics-wise. As I read more about it..I may have to build one up as an Off-duty piece.