DJNEB

Help Please!

I own a gsg kalashnikov 22lr hv ak47 rifle (as is marked in the manual), and I have shot it at the range on 2 separate occasions, using both the 22lr hv ammunition the first time, and regular 22lr ammunition the second time. On both times, the gun jammed, in both my and my friend's opinion who was with me, very frequently. However, I think that after a certain amount of clips fired through it, the jamming seems to either stop or lessen (or that may just be my hopeful rational that something is not really wrong with the gun itself). Now, the rifle has a magazine that is blocked at 10 rounds... and after thinking about it, i am going to speculate that on average, the rifle jams about 15 times in the span of 30 or so rounds. I did find that i was, at first, not cocking the ejection port quick enough which allowed more than one bullet in the chamber at a time, however I corrected my method quickly for this. However, when the gun DOES jam, it either A) has a shell casing stuck in the ejection port, or B) has a bullet in the chamber either off-kilter or there are two in the chamber. This is all I notice to seem to cause jams, although I do not know too much about firearms. Other times, the gun will seem to jam, then after taking out the magazine and inspecting the chamber, I do not see anything in it - I then proceed to close the ejection port, re-attach the magazine, cock it, put safety off and the gun fires again. It is strange. I was hoping anyone here may have an idea as to what the problem is? Another thing I feel I should mention is I did no after market modifications. It has the exact same parts and magazine as came with the gun when I bought it at Cheyenne in new condition. Any ideas? Please assist me if you have any ideas! I looked around on the web and found that most people say the gun jams very little. I hope I do not have to shell out a lot of money to find a slight malfunction.. Thank you for your assistance!

What exactly is the ammo you're using? I have a GSG-5 and find that I can't use plain, lead bullet ammo in it. The feed angle from the magazine is too steep and the bullets end up deforming and jamming at the chamber entrance when the bolt pushes them forward.

I have much, much better results using copper-plated hollowpoint ammo, specifically the Federal 525 packs:

745-2T.jpg

Are you using hollow point ammunition or solid point. If using hollow points, it might be contributing to your feeding issue. Did you done a thorough cleaning of the weapon? 22lr is a notoriously filthy round, and the gun may not function well dirty.

henry - the gun was jamming even on the first time shooting after purchasing the rifle new. I have not done a thorough cleaning as I have not purchased a cleaning kit as of yet, could you point me in the direction of what cleaning kit i would need? I am not entirely sure. you could use the website, Amazon dot com to post a link if at all possible?

I do not remember what ammo i used when using HV ammo, but when using regular 22lr bullets, the package says CCL minimag 22LR (22 long rifle copper plated round nose 40 grain)

DirtyDigz - I will try the federal 525 packs upon my next venture to the range. When you say you have much better results using it, do you still find jams? Maybe it is just the gun itself somehow?

Welcome to the forum DJNEB.

Many of us will tell you to clean a gun before you fire it for the first time. Many guns have machining marks/flaws which will eventually be worked out by the parts meshing together. For a 22, a Boresnake will make your life easy. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=260083

Some Walmarts (even the ones in Jersey which don't sell guns or ammo) carry gun cleaning supplies and kits. You can get a starter kit for under $20.

...I do not remember what ammo i used when using HV ammo, but when using regular 22lr bullets, the package says CCL minimag 22LR (22 long rifle copper plated round nose 40 grain)

DirtyDigz - I will try the federal 525 packs upon my next venture to the range. When you say you have much better results using it, do you still find jams? Maybe it is just the gun itself somehow?

CCI minimags with copper plating are a very high quality .22 round, better than the Federals, so that doesn't support ammo being the problem.

When I tried plain lead bullets in my GSG-5 they would jam about 1 in every 5 rounds, usually getting hung up on entry into the chamber because the soft bullet got deformed. Federal 525's might jam 1 in 60 or 1 in 100 rounds, and usually when it happens its because I was too hasty in loading up the magazine and didn't get all the rounds slotted correctly.

I'd also suggest calling the importer (American Tactical Imports, [email protected]), they have a reputation for good customer service.

I would strip the gun and clean it as suggested. Inspect parts and see if you notice burrs anywhere. After cleaning, try again. The CCI minimags are high quality ammo, so if your gun jams with these there is probably something wrong with it. I have a GSG-5 that I have shot many failure free rounds of the federal bulk pack as suggested above.

If you find the gun still malfunctions, bring it back to place of purchase. They should be able to return it for repair.

My GSG is very sensitive to magazine angle. You cannot use the mag as your forward grip like many folks do with AK-style rifles. By using the front handguard, I have eliminated 99% of my misfires. I always use the Federal Bulk ammo, so I never knew about the problem with lead bullets.

henry - the gun was jamming even on the first time shooting after purchasing the rifle new. I have not done a thorough cleaning as I have not purchased a cleaning kit as of yet, could you point me in the direction of what cleaning kit i would need? I am not entirely sure. you could use the website, Amazon dot com to post a link if at all possible?

I do not remember what ammo i used when using HV ammo, but when using regular 22lr bullets, the package says CCL minimag 22LR (22 long rifle copper plated round nose 40 grain)

Check the minimags - i've ended up with a bunch of 40gr rounds with a rather thick coat of wax on them. it scratches off easily enough with a fingernail, but could cause some issues.

I have a GSG-5 but not the ak version. I agree that you should make sure that you clean the rifle thoroughly and try different types of .22 ammo. You may note your manual indicates it is designed for high speed/velocity .22 rounds. Do not use plain lead .22, you should be using jacketed ammo. I find that CCI mini mags work great, so does winchester super x and federal. If you still have a problem bring the rifle back to dealer or ship to mfg if still under warranty.

Welcome to the forum DJNEB.

Many of us will tell you to clean a gun before you fire it for the first time. Many guns have machining marks/flaws which will eventually be worked out by the parts meshing together. For a 22, a Boresnake will make your life easy. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=260083

Some Walmarts (even the ones in Jersey which don't sell guns or ammo) carry gun cleaning supplies and kits. You can get a starter kit for under $20.

Holy crap... So you're not ALWAYS rude! #impressed.. lol