I got in touch with my mayor since the PD didn't seem to be making much effort to get things sorted out. I pointed to the sections of NJ law where it explains the FID signing process and asked why the PD in my town were not following that. He gave me the same story about the Attorney General needing to let them know what to do. I just don't understand why it has taken since the beginning of February to get to this point of not knowing. Does it really take that long for the AG to figure out what my town is supposed to do? Even when it says in the law the highest ranking officer is supposed to sign? or do you think my PD took their sweet time in looking for an answer in the first place? I hate to come across as over anxious, but I'm quite busy for most of the year and this year I'm off all of July and would REALLY like to get some shooting/range time in while I'm able to.

you guys are going to LOVE this (and by love I mean hate)....

So today I came home and listened to my answering machine, "Hello Justin, this is xxxxxxxxxx from Franklin Lakes Police Department. I wanted to call to let you know we have been given the authority to sign FID cards again." I heard this and immediately grabbed my keys and wallet to go pick it up. I then heard "unfortunately, due to the amount of time that has passed your application has expired. You will need to submit a new application and have another background check done. Please give me a call if you have any questions."

I was PISSED. After waiting for over 5 months for my card I now have to start over and pay the state to do another background check. They need to do everything - mental health check, references, background check, etc. AAHHHHHHH!!!!

that doesn't even make sense.. people have gone longer then that from application to permits at other PD's just waiting for them to finish the paper work. Maybe they dated them when they were ready for a signature? that would have been 3 months ago.

Personally if things are back in order i wouldn't. If there back to issuing permits in 30 days then i dont see a reason to get under there skin. If for instances this was one of those 3+month PD's that take forever i would be calling every day.

Personally if things are back in order i wouldn't. If there back to issuing permits in 30 days then i dont see a reason to get under there skin. If for instances this was one of those 3+month PD's that take forever i would be calling every day.

That's what I was thinking too, thanks. I ran into the detective handling the firearms stuff the following afternoon at a store in town, and he told me that my paperwork had already been sent out that morning. From what I've heard from others my town is quite fast with FID and PP times. The detective said the thing that takes the longest is the mental health check which they don't have control over. It seems like that is the real holdup with the FID process in NJ.