Rifleman1

Best Shotgun Ammo for Home Defense

I read this from the Firearms Tactical Institute. I don't kow much about them but does anyone agree/disagree or otherwise have comments or other support?

"12 Gauge Shotshell Ammunition

For personal defense and law enforcement applications, the International Wound Ballistics Association advocates number 1 buckshot as being superior to all other buckshot sizes.

Number 1 buck is the smallest diameter shot that reliably and consistently penetrates more than 12 inches of standard ordnance gelatin when fired at typical shotgun engagement distances. A standard 2 ¾-inch 12 gauge shotshell contains 16 pellets of #1 buck. The total combined cross sectional area of the 16 pellets is 1.13 square inches. Compared to the total combined cross sectional area of the nine pellets in a standard #00 (double-aught) buck shotshell (0.77 square inches), the # 1 buck shotshell has the capacity to produce over 30 percent more potentially effective wound trauma.

In all shotshell loads, number 1 buckshot produces more potentially effective wound trauma than either #00 or #000 buck. In addition, number 1 buck is less likely to over-penetrate and exit an attacker's body.

For home defense applications a standard velocity 2 ¾-inch #1 buck shotshell (16 pellet payload) from Federal, Remington or Winchester is your best choice. We feel the Federal Classic 2 ¾-inch #1 buck load (F127) is slightly better than the same loads offered by Remington and Winchester. The Federal shotshell uses both a plastic shot cup and granulated plastic shot buffer to minimize post-ignition pellet deformation, whereas the Remington and Winchester loads do not.

Second best choice is Winchester's 2 ¾-inch Magnum #1 buck shotshell, which is loaded with 20 pieces of copper-plated, buffered, hardened lead #1 buckshot. For those of you who are concerned about a tight shot pattern, this shotshell will probably give you the best patterning results in number 1 buck. This load may not be a good choice for those who are recoil sensitive.

Third choice is any standard or reduced recoil 2 ¾-inch #00 lead buckshot load from Winchester, Remington or Federal.

If you choose a reduced recoil load or any load containing hardened Magnum #00 buckshot you increase the risk of over-penetration because these innovations assist in maintaining pellet shape integrity. Round pellets have better sectional density for deeper penetration than deformed pellets.

Fourth choice is any 2 ¾-inch Magnum shotshell that is loaded with hardened, plated and buffered #4 buckshot. The Magnum cartridge has the lowest velocity, and the lower velocity will help to minimize pellet deformation on impact. The hardened buckshot and buffering granules also help to minimize pellet deformation too. These three innovations help to maximize pellet penetration. Number 4 hardened buckshot is a marginal performer. Some of the hardened buckshot will penetrate at least 12 inches deep and some will not."

I agree on #1 buck, and is what I have always used for HD shotgun applications. It is also the best hunting ammo for close range deer, especially in the pines of SJ. #1 normally yields a tighter pattern, and rips through dense thickets with ease.

i actually like the pdx. has a slug and 3 buck shot. the buck fires in a triangle and the slug in center.. its proven i shot it last saturday

I'm of the opinion that for HD situations ANY 12 gauge shotshell will do the job. I use Remington HD BB shot, Winchester PDX-1, Hornady TAP 00Buck, and Federal 00Buck low recoil shotshells. I've shot them all and I know all will suffice.

I think birdshot will put someone down, but depending on the situation, I think you would need to shoot them close to point blank to incapacitate them.

Buckshot is the way to go. Honestly, any buck will do (0-4b) that feeds well in your shotgun will do plenty of damage in a HD situation.

I think birdshot will put someone down, but depending on the situation, I think you would need to shoot them close to point blank to incapacitate them.

Buckshot is the way to go. Honestly, any buck will do (0-4b) that feeds well in your shotgun will do plenty of damage in a HD situation.

lol me and ray were laughing last weekend at the range when shooting my supernova pushing out bird shot ray laughs looks at me and says idc what anyone says that man is dead!

lol me and ray were laughing last weekend at the range when shooting my supernova pushing out bird shot ray laughs looks at me and says idc what anyone says that man is dead!

I know he swears by it, but in all honesty, if you shoot someone in the chest 6 feet away, yeah they're gonna probably die with the tight pattern and power a 12ga birdshot shell has. Now if you shoot someone with that same load of bird at, how about 15 or 20 feet, the pattern is going to be much bigger and the bb's are not going to penetrate THAT far into your skin/body to do what they need to kill you.

There have been accounts of people getting shot with birdshot and all that happened was they had 200 pellets of shot embedded into their skin. There was a news story about that in the past, two neighbors were arguing then one goes back to his house and grabs his shotgun loaded with birdshot, drives back to the neighbors house and shoots him from close range. The guy who got shot lived to tell about it, though he was pretty upset haha.

I don't want to turn this into a bird vs. buck debate, but just saying I don't trust it for HD. Plus, why be unsure about something like that when you can just use other loads (slug/buck) that are proven to kill someone at 5yds or 25yds or farther.

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/shotshells/home-defense/home-defense-loads.aspx

High brass bird shot, recoil sensative people need not click. This stuff will take care of ANY home defense issue. NUFF SAID

A bit unlucky for me that this topic got started yesterday and not last week. I just received 175 rounds of Federal 00 buckshot 2 3/4" shells. (It came with a nifty ammo can.) When I finally get around to getting my Mossberg 500, I plan to shoot a box or two of shells to get familiar with it, then put it away for HD. Guess I'll just have to make the best of it. (And tell me neighbors to stay low if any trouble starts!)

A bit unlucky for me that this topic got started yesterday and not last week. I just received 175 rounds of Federal 00 buckshot 2 3/4" shells. (It came with a nifty ammo can.) When I finally get around to getting my Mossberg 500, I plan to shoot a box or two of shells to get familiar with it, then put it away for HD. Guess I'll just have to make the best of it. (And tell me neighbors to stay low if any trouble starts!)

Sorry, I am studying and researching as fast as I can. I had bought a variety of shotshells in limited quantities to sample the brands, reduced recoil, 6+1 HD from Centurion and Winchester, 2-3/4 & 3" shells to see how they all work and to do some patterning work. I still have 50 or so 00 Buck, 40 rounds of #6 birdshot (circa 1935), and ordered 100 of a variety of rifled slugs to try out in the new Remington 870 Express Tactical.

• Like 1

00 is the best stuff.

Limiting penetration is a good thing, but to an extent. If you get a round that cant make it through a couple sheets of drywall how could it possibly go 12" into a person and stop a threat?

00 buck still penetrates less than handgun rounds

i would never, under any circumstances, feel undergunned with nothing but 00 buck

Everyone has their own take on what's the best shotgun ammo for HD. The best you can do is gather as much info as you can and then make the decision that you think is right for you and pray you never have to find out if you chose correctly.

For me, the choice I made is Federal LE Tactical 2 3/4" low recoil 00 buck (with the FlightControl wad).

http://le.atk.com/pdf/Shotshell_Data_Book.pdf

Nothing wrong with 00 buck, that is a great round for HD...I dunno why you're complaining. You should be happy you bought that instead of birdshot!

Nothing wrong with 00 buck, that is a great round for HD...I dunno why you're complaining. You should be happy you bought that instead of birdshot!

Correct, you seem like you are pissed that you ONLY have 00buck.

We can argue the birshot use all day long, and there are better choices to use in shotguns. BUT, it will get the job done at close ranges(in the house) just as good as 00, 0, #4, or slugs.

If you don't want the #00 buckshot lemme know!

I bought a case of #00 the other day at Dicks, 150 rounds in a case. I had shot about 30 rounds the previous week to break-in my Saiga-12 and LOVED the hit! I shot 15 rounds from my shoulder like I was shooting my rifle. I then held it at my hip and shot another 30 rounds. I love that Saiga! I bought 6 magazines and had my niece giving them to me as I emptied them into water bottles!

So, $45 in a few minutes gone, but I LOVED IT!

I have to see if that gun will take 3" shells. The magazines look like they will hold them, have to see if the gun was designed for it or not. Those #00 shells are ok, but I can certainly handle more. Maybe a pump gun like a Remi 870 will give me more of a hit. Guess I am not recoil sensitive, whatever that is......... :icon_mrgreen:

Gotta bring the wifes 870 to the range and see what it feels like. We just use it for Trap Shooting with whimpy shot. :sarcastichand:

Mike,

3" Magnum High Brass will take you for a harder ride, that's for sure! Higher pellet count means more weight in lead which translates to increased recoil to get the same speed for the pellets. Probably 4 dram or more equivalent. Wouldn't use 3" shells for HD though, as too much chance of over-penetration.

Take care,

Dave

Caine excellent info.

I prefer #1 followed by #4. The OP the article makes some interesting claims. Caine's link gives the hard date to substantiate the article with shots of gelatin wound channels, pics of recovered projectiles and photos of the "Q" targets. They also included barrier tests.

Also, for your consideration:

Personally, I recommend a 20g for home defense, if you choose a shotgun, with your load choice heavily influenced by your concern level about pellets passing through walls.

RJP

Well, that load will be traveling thru my apt into my neighbors for sure.