Sign in to follow this  
dave545

M1 GARAND problem

I have a springfield armory M1 garand and it has a problem. it likes to try and eject the clip before it is empty, so normally after the second to last round it will try to eject and get jammed and then the last round will be ejected with the clip. and sometimes the slide will get stuck behind one of the bullets. and the slide gets pretty tight at the halfway back position. i am shoot the milsurp Greek hxp ammo. and tried regular ammo and same problem

Worn cartridge clip detents. Weak clip latch spring. Worn clip latch. Bent follower rod or worn follower rod forks. Worn follower arm. Worn or deformed operating rod catch or bullet guide. Follower rod rubs on operating rod catch.

Those are possibilities.

Dave:

I ran this past my buddy, who is an M1 guru (glennp knows who I'm talking about) and he is quite familiar with your problem and probably not something easily fixed by an amateur. He's right in Ewing Twp so you could transport the gun to him.

Here's the info...

http://www.radomski.us/njhp/major.htm

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

It's a pretty common problem - Google "7th Round Stoppage" for a bunch of info on it.

Clip latch spring seems to be the most common and easiest fix. You can order a stronger one from Fulton Armory, or maybe borrow a few parts from someone to figure out what's causing it.