Pizza Bob

It Was a Close One....

This just happened about 30 minutes ago. I was sitting at the computer, which is in a room facing the street, perusing this forum, when I hear someone screaming. At first I thought it was kids fooling around, but it didn't stop and it was growing closer. I could now distinguish that it was a woman's voice and she was screaming "Help me!" over and over again. I looked out the window to see a very slight Asian woman surrounded by three Pit Bulls. One was jumping up on her, two were concentrating on her legs and ankles.

I ran into the bedroom and collected my Sig RCS and the extra mag (there were three of them) and ran outside. I ran to her, which distracted the dogs enough that they came toward me. I literally had the skull of one at the end of the barrel, when I realized, they were being aggressively friendly. Tails wagging, but they were big (two combined probably outweighed this lady - three combined made it impossible for her to move). I didn't shoot, but put myself between her and the dogs and backed toward my front door. Got her in the house and shut the door.

Called 911 and got the police out to the house (at this point the dogs were all hanging around on my front porch). First LEO on the scene didn't get out of his car. Waited until back-up arrived. When the second LEO got there, they both got out and the dogs went up to them. Once they established that they weren't agressive, they managed to herd them into the back of one of their units and called animal control.

Once we were in the house, before the LEO's arrived, I ascertained that the woman wasn't injured - no blood, no broken skin, she was just totally freaked out. I learned that when she was a child she had been attacked by dogs, which certainly played a large part in her reaction to totday's events.

Animal control came and collected them. I had never seen these dogs before. I know they don't belong to anyone on this street. They all had collars, but no licenses. Animal Control said they'll track down the owners and cite them.

This episode was particularly ironic since last week I was at the dog park with our dog. A woman with a large red Husky asked me, out of the blue, what would I do if I, and my dog, were attacked by another large dog. I asked her if she meant physical damage was being done, and she backed off and said, no, just posturing. I said I would attempt to leave the area and distance ourselves from the threat. She persisted and said, what if you were being physically attacked? I just looked at her and said, "I'd shoot the dog". That shut her up pretty quick. That was going through my head as I exited my house, gun in hand, toward three Pit Bulls. Fortunately it didn't come to that.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 3

I'm glad you are such an intelligent man. Any other idiot would have shot them probably. It's not the pit bulls fault this lady is an idiot or that their owner let them run free. Pit Bulls aren't bad dogs, but I fear it is only a matter of time until the New Jersey logic decides to ban them all. I just found out that my trip to Ontario this summer I will not be able to take my dog as she is a Pit Bull/Boxer mix and all Pit bulls and similar dogs are banned in the entire province. Only a collection of idiots ban things and not actions. If there is a problem with people training pit bulls to be aggressive and they are hurting people then make a law that puts people who own a pit bull which attacks another person and causes harm spend 15 years in prison. It would decrease the number of people who would own one in the first place and it would also make sure the ones that do are training them right. Sorry to jump up on a soapbox there, just had to deal with the fact I can't take my puppy with me on a trip :icon_mrgreen:

This I the vicious bullboxer that isn't allowed in the borders of Ontario

250430_10150207392332282_506777281_7500556_3408096_n.jpg

Stories like this make me very very glad that you are a member of this forum, Bob. Kudos on your first thought being to help, and even moreso for keeping a level head throughout the incident.

Clearly the dogs' owner is at fault. The dogs should not be off their property without a leash.

Bob, not all wagging tails mean they are friendly. I've had numerous contacts with aggressive dogs with wagging tails. Glad you made the decision not to shoot. If you had, it still would've been a right decision.

Just curious, did the fact that you had a loaded gun outside ever come up? Did the LOEs ever find out about it? I wonder if someone who witnessed the whole thing told the LOEs that you almost used a gun protect the woman and yourself if anything would have happened. Glad it didn't come to that.

Wow, can you imagine the heartbreak if you had killed some guy's dog because it was trying to say hello?

Incidents like this make me wonder what all has been done just because a woman was screaming.

One time, before I got my first firearm, I was at home and there was this woman shreiking "ROBBERY ROBBERY, Call the police!" over and over. I was in a multi-family dwelling with an ally way that echoed. All of two builings heard this and people wer spilling out into the street to find where it was coming from. I called the police as well as most everyone else.

Thing was she just kept yelling it - way too long if you asked me. I waited to see who came out of the apartment and got a good look at the guy for when the police came. I saw the guy, told the police with the super present and the super says "Oh, that's her husband and brother." Turns out they were trying to return some things she bought on credit but couldn't afford. Seems she had that addiction where she just buys everything on QVC. The guy didn't want to pay for it and he and her brother had an intervention.

For a while there nearly everyone in two buildings wanted to break down that door and hurt the guys.

Anyway, kudos. You can be just as heroic for not pulling a trigger, in my belief.

Thanks for all the kind words, everybody. I'm a dog-lover at heart and glad it didn't come to that also. Vozella - absolutely. The RCS is a 1911 platform. It was loaded with 230 gr Gold Dot HP's and was cocked and locked and my thumb was riding the safety, but I had not disengaged it. As I said, the muzzle was literally against the one dog's skull.

Kind of surprised to hear a couple people kind of blame the woman. She was truly terrified and from my original vantage point I couldn't tell whether she was injured or not. No way was I going up against three unknown pit bulls unarmed. When I got outside and was able to ascertain that they were, in fact, being aggressively friendly, then it was a matter of getting her into the house. I got part way there and thought, "Oh sh*t, my dog is right on the other side of the door. First I warned her of that fact and then it was a matter of trying to get her in the door, while not letting my dog out, or the three, very pushy, pit bulls in. Managed that juggling act and you know the rest.

The gun never entered into it. Once we got inside, I stowed the gun after we called the police. She, whether by design or the fact that she was in shock, never said anything to the officer's and it really was irrelevant. so I didn't mention it :icon_rolleyes: .

I was also surprised that none of my neighbors heeded her cries for help. I know some of them were home, but they never even came outside, even after the street was parked-up with police cars and the animal control truck. It was a real adrenaline dump to first recognize that it was a woman screaming and secondly, to see her surrounded by pit bulls of unknown intentions.

Just glad it ended the way it did. Thanks again.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Way to go Bob!!!!It is nice to know that there are still people out there who are willing to get involved instead of looking the other way,none of my business yada yada.Glad the woman is ok,you didnt have to fire,and the pits are off the street.

I'm glad you are such an intelligent man. Any other idiot would have shot them probably. It's not the pit bulls fault this lady is an idiot or that their owner let them run free.

I'm confused. Why is the lady an idiot? If I had 3 large dogs I have never seen before jumping all over me, and had been attacked by dogs when I was younger, I wouldn't be very comfortable either. Just because she was yelling, which probably excited the dogs even further, doesn't make her an idiot. It means she was scared. The thing that makes pit bulls often more dangerous then other dogs, is they have a strong jaw, and sometimes there 'play' biting is real biting. Dogs like that can sometimes be just playing, and while not acting maliciously at all can cause pretty big damage. I have a scar on the back of my hand to prove it.

I'm glad this situation worked out well. Even though it doesn't appear that she was actually in danger, you didn't know that, and its good to hear you were willing to help out when none of your neighbors did. Good on ya!

Snip:

The gun never entered into it. Once we got inside, I stowed the gun after we called the police. She, whether by design or the fact that she was in shock, never said anything to the officer's and it really was irrelevant. so I didn't mention it :icon_rolleyes: .

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Very smart not to mention it!

Lucky you weren't in Ewing. If the police that arrived were the same ones I encountered last week you'd be in a different mood at this point. My experience with some of the Ewing officers is downright scary. They do not know the laws and I believe are very much against citizens having firearms.

I won't go into detail here, but suffice to say the Ewing police that responded to my call treated me more like the bad guy than the bad guys. There were 4 in my front office questioning me, two not too bad, one Sgt. total (censored) one half (censored). It's been a week and a half and I'm still pretty upset about my treatment.

I'm glad you were the one to respond to the lady, GOOD JOB!

I'm confused. Why is the lady an idiot? If I had 3 large dogs I have never seen before jumping all over me, and had been attacked by dogs when I was younger, I wouldn't be very comfortable either. Just because she was yelling, which probably excited the dogs even further, doesn't make her an idiot. It means she was scared. The thing that makes pit bulls often more dangerous then other dogs, is they have a strong jaw, and sometimes there 'play' biting is real biting. Dogs like that can sometimes be just playing, and while not acting maliciously at all can cause pretty big damage. I have a scar on the back of my hand to prove it.

I'm glad this situation worked out well. Even though it doesn't appear that she was actually in danger, you didn't know that, and its good to hear you were willing to help out when none of your neighbors did. Good on ya!

She was screaming, this is as you said something that can excite them further. Being scared doesn't mean you aren't also being stupid. Ignorance is no excuse. We have enough ignorance in this state, I will not excuse any of it.

She was screaming, this is as you said something that can excite them further. Being scared doesn't mean you aren't also being stupid. Ignorance is no excuse. We have enough ignorance in this state, I will not excuse any of it.

If you don't have dogs, and you aren't around dogs then you don't know how to act around them. I know dogs pretty well but if I got cornered by 3 overly enthusiastic pitbulls I would be a bit nervous too. You will not excuse it? Just who do you think you are to excuse anything? Get off your high horse.

All you do is bash this state and everyone in it every chance you get. It's getting old. Odd since you moved here. I'll admit a lot of things in this state suck, but some of of us make the best of it, and have quite a good time in the process. Life is what you make it man. If this state sucks so badly then leave. I'll get you some boxes if you need them. I don't know you, and you might be a good guy, but the constant bashing and judging of everyone has passed it's expiration date.

Flame suit ENGAGE

• Like 6

If you don't have dogs, and you aren't around dogs then you don't know how to act around them. I know dogs pretty well but if I got cornered by 3 overly enthusiastic pitbulls I would be a bit nervous too. You will not excuse it? Just who do you think you are to excuse anything? Get off your high horse.

All you do is bash this state and everyone in it every chance you get. It's getting old. Odd since you moved here. I'll admit a lot of things in this state suck, but some of of us make the best of it, and have quite a good time in the process. Life is what you make it man. If this state sucks so badly then leave. I'll get you some boxes if you need them. I don't know you, and you might be a good guy, but the constant bashing and judging of everyone has passed it's expiration date.

Flame suit ENGAGE

be a bit nervous = screaming? Interesting.

I have the same ability to not excuse her for her actions as you have the ability to choose not to excuse me for words.

If I could I would move in a heart beat, but that is not my call to make unfortunately. I do apologize for bringing to light what this state is. I am sure it is easier for most to make the best of it by just not thinking about it. I just haven't figured out how to turn the thinking part off yet.

I'm gonna be brutally honest, I don't like pitbulls at all. Whenever I see one, especially with my daughter, I walk away from them. All I hear is, "oh, he or she is harmless" or "he or she doesn't bite" Really? Then why have a dog that's built to kill with a bite like that as a pet?

I'm gonna be brutally honest, I don't like guns at all. Whenever I see one, especially with my daughter, I walk away from it. All I hear is, "oh, it is harmless" or "it doesn't shoot on its own" Really? Then why have a gun that's built to kill with a high capacity magazine like that as a gun?

Sorry Kevin, I live in a neighborhood where all I see are these ugly dogs with chains for collars and their owners look like trash. These dogs are usually dragging them around and looking like they wanna hit someone. Pass

I'm gonna be brutally honest, I don't like guns at all. Whenever I see one, especially with my daughter, I walk away from it. All I hear is, "oh, it is harmless" or "it doesn't shoot on its own" Really? Then why have a gun that's built to kill with a high capacity magazine like that as a gun?

Inanimate object. (ie. firearm)

Person with inanimate object.

Dog.

Certainly guns don't shoot on their own. But last time I checked, dogs were capable of biting on their own. So where is this coming from? I don't just walk away when I see a dog. But when I see 3 large dogs, without an owner around I do. Just like I don't walk away just because I see a gun, but if I saw 3 people waving around guns I would. Your attempt at using that as an argument/comparison is really quite poor. I love dogs. But the nice hole in the back of my hand didn't happen on it's own. I was caused by a "harmless" pit bull. It didn't matter that it wasn't being vicious...

Dogs are not inanimate objects!!! You do realize what you are actually arguing is that because dogs can be nice they won't be bad, which is the same type of argument as saying because guns can be dangerous they must be bad.

Don't fall over on your way down.

Bob- I respect your chain of decisions. Especially the first one, to arm yourself and go to the aid of a neighbor.

Glad it turned out as it did. BTW- Next time get the shotgun. For several reasons. Willing to discuss offline.

We still don't know anything of her "scary experience" when she was younger. Maybe 3 pitbulls bit her hard enough to draw blood, down to the bone? If I hadn't seen a pitbull up close since one closed it's jaws around my thigh/throat/wrist, and 3 charged up on me I'd scream also. It's easy to take some bastardized version of the high-road and claim she acted incorrectly when we don't know the details. This thread's focus should be how one of our own acted effectively, swiftly, and responsibly to help another, as we would expect of them. Good work Bob.