Pizza Bob

It Was a Close One....

Great job Bob. Excellent self control. If it were me surrounded by three pitbulls.... I'd probably be rolling around on the ground playing with them. Great dogs, even many of the ones in the GHETTO as Ray Ray has pointed out, are mistreated and misunderstood.

The problem with most people, and any animal, is that people attach human thought processes and emotions to the animals. They do not think, act, or SENSE the way we do. When you are afraid you give off pheromones that animals can and will interpret as aggression, you need to keep a level head especially with an animal that can hurt you. I hate to get all dog whisperer here but it's the truth.

I understand every animal is different and they have their own personalities. But it's my daughter's life I'm worried about. I'll walk accross the street or the other way regardless. Better safe than sorry.

Old School - just curious, why should he have used the shotgun instead? Never know if that situation could happen again.

I too was curious, so I e-mailed Frank re: his comment. Since it was asked on the board, I'll paraphrase what I said in my e-mail.

To do what I did during this incident would not have been possible had I been saddled with trying to control a long arm. I used my free hand (weak hand) continuously throughout, to both herd the woman toward my door and to keep the dogs at bay. Try doing that while maintaining good muzzle and trigger discipline and also be ready to depress the safety and fire, should things go sideways. The only advantage I could see with a long arm would be the ability to butt stroke, but even that, in this instance, would have been excessive.

I can't claim that I thought all this through before choosing how to arm myself (and arming myself was never in question), it is just that the.45 was more readily accessible and I have greater familiarity with that platform - it was, literally, a no-brainer.

JMHO, but then, I was there.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I hate to get all dog whisperer here but it's the truth.

As a dog lover and owner, I have to agree with you. Just watch some of these dog whisperer's on tv - their change in action vs the dog owner is subtle but they speak the dog's language and it's obvious, quickly.

By the way, I have been nipped by a strange dog - since then, I exercise much more caution around strange dogs.

She was screaming, this is as you said something that can excite them further. Being scared doesn't mean you aren't also being stupid. Ignorance is no excuse. We have enough ignorance in this state, I will not excuse any of it.

I don't usually jump in to respond to dumb comments made by people online, but... for some reason your post really ticked me off.

If ignorance is no excuse, as you stated... then what is YOUR excuse? Seriously... your comments are just plain idiotic. You state that this poor woman is stupid, when it was already stated that the woman has prior history of being attacked by dogs. Not to mention that she was surrounded by 3 large pitbulls... Can you blame her for panicking? I do not currently own a dog, but I have owned several hunting dogs in the past, so I'm not unfamiliar with them or easily frightened by them. I'm also a big guy at 6'2" and 250lbs... and you know what? 3 large pittbulls on the loose that I am unfamiliar with and running towards me, would definitely make me nervous too! Anyone that would say that they would not be nervous, is full of crap.

No, it is not the animals fault that they were running loose... but if it were me, I would not have any hesitation in putting the dogs down if it was necessary. You cannot put more value on an animals life than a human beings, and luckily in this event, nothing bad happened (Kudos to Bob for keeping his cool!). The owner of these dogs needs to be held responsible and should be punished, even though the situation did not have a bad ending. What if the dogs did flip out and harmed this woman or mauled some child playing out in front of their house? I love dogs, but I would never put more value on a dog over a human being.

If in fact you do stand behind the statements you made, that the woman was ignorant and an idiot for screaming, then you sir, are the prime example of the ignorance that you claim exists in this state. In addition, do you have at least one post where you do not bash NJ???? Seriously, you sound like a broken record. No, NJ is not the perfect place... but trust me, I can think of many worse places in this country (and the rest of the world) to live in. I have lived abroad for several years and I have traveled to many places in this country and the world, so I can tell you with certainty that there are much worse places to live in than NJ.

In any case, this is America and it is a free country, so you are free to speak your mind and say whatever you like... but when you make ignorant comments, just be prepared to get flamed.

• Like 2

These are powerful dogs and when confronted by a pack with no owner in sight it's common sence to back off.There is a big cute fluffy black dog(80 lb mutt) around the block from me. It's never on a leash(not a problem with me) when I'm with my 3 year old we cross the street.

I've owned dogs for 30 years now and realize they can harm you unintentionally.

The lady screaming could have set even friendly dogs off. You handled it right I would have went out with a bat as I dont want to do time for the gun.

I'm a dog owner myself. I currently own two Weimaraners at 75lbs a piece and have previously owned Boxers and other bully breeds. My brother-in-law currently owns two pit bulls. My experience has taught me that, bottom line, a dog's behavior, especially one you don't know, is unpredictable. I think the woman's reaction was completely understandable and her fear was not unwarranted. I once ran into a stray pit at 5am while walking my dogs one morning and I was scared, not of being attacked myself but, of the possibility of having to somehow remove a pit bull's clamped jaws from off one of my dogs' necks. If I felt that way and I've never had a negative experience with any dogs, I can understand the woman's fear. I think Bob did the right thing.

I too was curious, so I e-mailed Frank re: his comment. Since it was asked on the board, I'll paraphrase what I said in my e-mail.

To do what I did during this incident would not have been possible had I been saddled with trying to control a long arm. I used my free hand (weak hand) continuously throughout, to both herd the woman toward my door and to keep the dogs at bay. Try doing that while maintaining good muzzle and trigger discipline and also be ready to depress the safety and fire, should things go sideways. The only advantage I could see with a long arm would be the ability to butt stroke, but even that, in this instance, would have been excessive.

I can't claim that I thought all this through before choosing how to arm myself (and arming myself was never in question), it is just that the.45 was more readily accessible and I have greater familiarity with that platform - it was, literally, a no-brainer.

JMHO, but then, I was there.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Just to answer, just because a few listers asked.

#1 What Bob did right, adaquate, and most admirable!

I'm just the kind of person that uses a handgun to fight their way to their long gun. Period!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_fatal_dog_attack

SPOTSYLVANIA, Va. – Police say a Virginia man found dead in his home was killed by his pit bull.

The Spotsylvania County Sheriff's Department says in a news release that an autopsy found indications of paw marks on the victim's body and defensive wounds on the fingers and hands.

Police say the body of 38-year-old David Quyon Haigler was found Saturday in his home by his 18-year-old son.

Sheriff's Lt. Col. Michael Timm tells The Free-Lance Star that the 6-year-old pit bull was roaming free in the house. Another 6-year-old pit bull was chained in another area of the residence.

Timm says both dogs are being held at the county animal shelter.

I'm a dog owner myself. I currently own two Weimaraners at 75lbs a piece and have previously owned Boxers and other bully breeds. My brother-in-law currently owns two pit bulls. My experience has taught me that, bottom line, a dog's behavior, especially one you don't know, is unpredictable. I think the woman's reaction was completely understandable and her fear was not unwarranted. I once ran into a stray pit at 5am while walking my dogs one morning and I was scared, not of being attacked myself but, of the possibility of having to somehow remove a pit bull's clamped jaws from off one of my dogs' necks. If I felt that way and I've never had a negative experience with any dogs, I can understand the woman's fear. I think Bob did the right thing.

This right here. As an outsider you have NO IDEA of what environment a strange dog is from. Actions and Behaviors a "Normal" dog exhibits go out the window when you are dealing with an animal that has been neglected or abused. While i have seen tons of Pits that are well-behaved, friendly and have been raised correctly, I've also seen just as many that I dont want to be in the same County with. Owners unknown or unseen, a strange dog is going into the Second category until i get more information or have more interaction with it. WORST dog bite i have ever seen was not from a Pit, Boxer, Rott or Dobie, it was from a Golden/Lab mixture, It opened a friend of mine's arm from inside her elbow to her wrist..and this was this dog's THIRD bite, but because it wasnt a Pitbull or other "Dangerous Breed" it got a pass. She was also familiar with the dog from the day the owners had it, ebcause they live next door to her. To this day

that animal will bodily throw itself against the door of the house or the fence/gate if its in the yard when someone walks past. The dog is lucky, he grabbed my friend by the strong hand, while she was off duty (Prosecutor's office) and not carrying, or fido would have gone to the big boneyard in the sky. My Neigbors just took in a Cocker Spaniel that was a rescue..they have to get rid of it because it's So sensitive it lashes out without any warning. One minute it's fine, the next it's growling and actively trying to bite. So far we cant pin down WHAT sets him off, there isnt a pattern to it. I feel bad for the dog, it isnt HIS fault he was abused..but the neighbors cant have a dog around their kids like that..nevermind the liability of someone else's kid getting bit.

I love dogs..but people come first.

I love dogs..but people come first.

I think this pretty much sums it up. I love dogs as well. There's nothing like coming home and being greeted by a dog who's happier than hell to see you. However, strange dog vs. strange person, I'm going to help the person who may be in danger of being "attacked" by the dog first. Bob, I think you made the right move. That's a crappy situation to be in though, as it could have gotten ugly pretty quickly.

Another thing to keep in mind.....criminals will often use a distraction like this to get you out of your house, then have someone sneak in while you're distracted. Training dogs like that would be a little over the head of the common criminal, but the element you need to look out for is a DISTRACTION, regardless of what the distraction is.

My Neigbors just took in a Cocker Spaniel that was a rescue..they have to get rid of it because it's So sensitive it lashes out without any warning. One minute it's fine, the next it's growling and actively trying to bite. So far we cant pin down WHAT sets him off, there isnt a pattern to it. I feel bad for the dog, it isnt HIS fault he was abused..but the neighbors cant have a dog around their kids like that..nevermind the liability of someone else's kid getting bit.

Tell your neighbor's to take the cocker to the vet and have them do tests on the dogs thyroid glands. My roommate had a boxer, who was the friendliest dog you would ever meet in your life. then all of a sudden he would get mean. For example, if you were petting him, he would start to growl out of nowhere. Sometimes snap at you. We couldn't pattern it either. We figured maybe jealousy over his toys, if there was food around, maybe he was injured. No clue. Dog attacked me one night, I walked around my house with my shotgun, room mate wised up. Took do to the vet and turns out there was something wrong with his thyroids that was throwin his hormones all off. Started on medicine and he was all good in a week. Back to beenin Knuckles the friendly/dumb neighborhood boxer. Maybe the same problem...

Tell your neighbor's to take the cocker to the vet and have them do tests on the dogs thyroid glands. My roommate had a boxer, who was the friendliest dog you would ever meet in your life. then all of a sudden he would get mean. For example, if you were petting him, he would start to growl out of nowhere. Sometimes snap at you. We couldn't pattern it either. We figured maybe jealousy over his toys, if there was food around, maybe he was injured. No clue. Dog attacked me one night, I walked around my house with my shotgun, room mate wised up. Took do to the vet and turns out there was something wrong with his thyroids that was throwin his hormones all off. Started on medicine and he was all good in a week. Back to beenin Knuckles the friendly/dumb neighborhood boxer. Maybe the same problem...

Ill mention it but I doubt it, the rescue folks had it to the vet before they got it for a pretty thorough workup, the dog had been physically abused apparently. He's not a "Bad" dog, but he's just too unpredictable to have around Children. he needs a quieter environment.

My brother has a Basengi like that! She can be sleeping on the couch next to you for an hour, all happy as hell, then she wakes up and for no reason, attacks your hand. WTF! He has had to be stitched twice! Good thing she likes me!

But, there is nothing like a dog's unconditional love! Try locking your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car for an hour, then see who is happy to see you when you open it? rofl.gif

Another thing to keep in mind.....criminals will often use a distraction like this to get you out of your house, then have someone sneak in while you're distracted. Training dogs like that would be a little over the head of the common criminal, but the element you need to look out for is a DISTRACTION, regardless of what the distraction is.

Criminals will release 3 dogs in your front yard to distract you to get into your house? That seems a little far fetched to me. If a criminal wants to get into your house I doubt they are going to go thru all that trouble. Where have you heard this?

Criminals will release 3 dogs in your front yard to distract you to get into your house? That seems a little far fetched to me. If a criminal wants to get into your house I doubt they are going to go thru all that trouble. Where have you heard this?

Training dogs like that would be a little over the head of the common criminal

I know, I already said that wouldn't be something they would do. I said that they would use some type of DISTRACTION to get you out of your house. The more common method is a woman outside shouting "Help, RAPE!!". Sometimes they will be banging on your front door, shouting that someone is chasing after them. You open the door, two guys waiting out of site push their way in. Again, that's just an EXAMPLE, the element you want to look for is a distraction to get you outside of your house.

I know, I already said that wouldn't be something they would do. I said that they would use some type of DISTRACTION to get you out of your house. The more common method is a woman outside shouting "Help, RAPE!!". Sometimes they will be banging on your front door, shouting that someone is chasing after them. You open the door, two guys waiting out of site push their way in. Again, that's just an EXAMPLE, the element you want to look for is a distraction to get you outside of your house.

Ok. Gotcha

There is no excuse for 3 pitbulls to be loose unleashed on the street. What if these dogs weren't so friendly and a woman died from a heart attack or a childs face was ripped off. I hope the owner is fined to the max. I like dogs, but owners have to be responsible for their animals. This could have turned out real bad. There are no "I'm sorries" for a disfigured child.

There is no excuse for 3 pitbulls to be loose unleashed on the street.

Your young kid leaving your gate open by accident. A guest leaving it open or unlatched. A landscaper leaving the gate open or unlatched. Utilities company tech leaving the gate open. Carrying a bundle of crap into your back yard and kicking the gate closed and it doesn't latch properly. A storm blowing a part of the fence over you cant see from the back door (Happened to me 2 years ago)

These things happen every day. They also happen quite easily. Some dogs love to get out. We don't live in a perfect world so **** does happen. I don't know of any dog owners who WANT their dogs running loose on the streets. But yeah it does happen, and dogs who live together will travel around together (pack mentality). So yeah there is an excuse why 3 pitbulls (or any dog for that matter) running loose thru the streets.

You have never forgotten to turn a light off in your house? Forgot to lock a door or window? Forgot your keys in the door or in your car?

Those are all REASONS not EXCUSES! If you are going to own the worlds most dangerous dogs, you had better be prepared to watch them diligently and ensure they do not get loose. And you had better carry a rider on your insurance policy.

There's a BIG difference betwwen forgetting to turn the light off in the house and 3 pitbulls loose on the street. I think you're missing my point. This shouldn't be taken lightly and I hope the owner is fined to the max for "forgetting to close the latch."

Funny way to get a woman into the house but what ever works for you. :sarcastichand:

Seriously Bob, very good job, handled well, very well I might add.

Reading down the thread I see some who might think the lady over reacted, I doubt it, regardless if she had a prior problem, you see 3 dogs coming at you their size and our going to get a little nervous to say the least, and for some who say act like your not scared, well try it some time, even when you think your acting like your not afraid, dogs can sense that you are and if they are really aggressive they will act on it.

Harry

There's a BIG difference betwwen forgetting to turn the light off in the house and 3 pitbulls loose on the street. I think you're missing my point. This shouldn't be taken lightly and I hope the owner is fined to the max for "forgetting to close the latch."

I think your missing my point that forgetting to latch the gate or even it not latching properly happens just as easily as forgetting to flick off a lightswitch.