If I were you, I'd head to Maryland to catch some. I've heard that there is a $200 bounty per fish, and all you need for proof is a picture. Don't know if this is true, but it certainly bears looking into. Quick way to replensih your gun fund. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Nice job removing them. If they get a foothold in the canal it would be devastating to other native species. Let me know if you need help. Could be a fun way to spend a day off. LOL

I've heard they're good eating.

They are, and because the flesh is so dense, they actually withstand grilling quite well.

Is it true they can survive short periods of time out of water and wiggle there way to other bodies of water?

Those things are brutal.

Yes, this is true. Actually, I think they can travel relatively far, though I forget what the distance is. Iw ant to say 100 feet, but that may be way high.

We discussed these, and the deer overpopulation in my Biology 4 class, which is global ecology. Invasive species are a huge problem, particularly when you get these terminator type species that reproduce quickly, have no predators in the new habitats, and are fairly hardy. I would imagine the state would allow for a kill on contact, though I could be wrong. I would be interested in eating snakehead, I didn't think it was edible, but I do love all sorts of fish.

After all, eating delicious fish is a type of environmental action we can all get behind.

All freshwater fish are edible.

Not true, I wouldn't eat the fish out of the Passaic River, or Newark Bay, or the East River, the Hackensack River or the lower Hudson River.

Hey Shawn, Are they in the lake at the Sportsman club?

none have been caught it its possible. they are in the salem canal and the canal connects to the creek and swamps at the club. during the hurricane the whole place flooded so everything was free to roam around. as of now ill saw no because i havent seen or caught any but it is possible.

Yes, this is true. Actually, I think they can travel relatively far, though I forget what the distance is. Iw ant to say 100 feet, but that may be way high.

We discussed these, and the deer overpopulation in my Biology 4 class, which is global ecology. Invasive species are a huge problem, particularly when you get these terminator type species that reproduce quickly, have no predators in the new habitats, and are fairly hardy. I would imagine the state would allow for a kill on contact, though I could be wrong. I would be interested in eating snakehead, I didn't think it was edible, but I do love all sorts of fish.

After all, eating delicious fish is a type of environmental action we can all get behind.

When I go fishing up in Sussex at the bait shops and ranger stations, they have a little magazine NJ fish and wildlife or something like that, and they list snakeheads as an invasive species and if you catch one to kill it, don't release it back. (I think they advise if you catch one kill it and call the game warden to report where you caught it and stuff.)

Biologists believe their invasion started when a man bought two live snakheads from Chinatown to make a soup for his ill sister, when she recovered he released them into a local lake.

"Snakeheads can breathe air and survive for up to four days out of water, and can survive for longer periods of time when burrowed in the mud. They are capable of traveling over land to new bodies of water by wriggling their bodies over the ground."

Very harmful to our ecosystem, but IMO very fascinating creatures.

http://www.csa.com/discoveryguides/snakehead/overview.php

Not true, I wouldn't eat the fish out of the Passaic River, or Newark Bay, or the East River, the Hackensack River or the lower Hudson River.

Well OK, you have me there....... but they will poison you slowly.

FYI - only the Passaic river and Hackensack rivers have portions that are freshwater, and the Hackensack's section is not very long.

Well OK, you have me there....... but they will poison you slowly.

FYI - only the Passaic river and Hackensack rivers have portions that are freshwater, and the Hackensack's section is not very long.

Not really, it's briny which could carry all kinds of fish.