swiftcoyote

Federal Conceal Carry Bill

No.... it wouldnt.

"Congressmen Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) and Heath Shuler (D-N.C.) have introduced vital legislation that will enable millions of permit holders to exercise their right to self-defense while traveling outside their home states."

If you are a NJ resident, you are not traveling outside your home state, NJ, and therefore are not afforded reciprocity because you do not have a carry permit from your home state.

I think that "Swift Coyote" may have something here! Read on:

.........nonresidents of a State may carry concealed firearms in the State. (does not say you have to have your OWN state license)

`Sec. 926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms

`(a) Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof, related to the carrying or transportation of firearms, a person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and who is carrying a government-issued photographic identification document and a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of a State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may carry a concealed handgun (other than a machinegun or destructive device) that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, in any State, other than the State of residence of the person, that--

`(1) has a statute that allows residents of the State to obtain licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms; or

`(2) does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms by residents of the State for lawful purposes.

`(b) A person carrying a concealed handgun under this section shall be permitted to carry a handgun subject to the same conditions or limitations that apply to residents of the State who have permits issued by the State or are otherwise lawfully allowed to do so by the State.

Any legal minds that can clearly respond to this amendment????

Regards,

Spectre

I think that "Swift Coyote" may have something here! Read on:

.........nonresidents of a State may carry concealed firearms in the State. (does not say you have to have your OWN state license)

`Sec. 926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms

I'm going to trim down the next paragraph so it's easier to read.

`(a)Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State, a person who is not prohibited by Federal law, who is carrying a government-issued photographic ID to carry a concealed firearm, may carry a concealed handgun, in any State, other than the State of residence of the person, that--

`(1) has a statute that allows residents of the State to obtain licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms; or <---NJ Does

`(2) does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms by residents of the State for lawful purposes. <---NJ Does

`(b) A person carrying a concealed handgun under this section shall be permitted to carry a handgun subject to the same conditions or limitations that apply to residents of the State who have permits issued by the State or are otherwise lawfully allowed to do so by the State.

I don't see anywhere that this allows Carry in NJ. (for a NJ resident with a FL/UT/VA license)

so as i understand it... this allows ONLY the out-of-state residents with valid IDs and carrying permits to carry pretty much anywhere including here in NJ, but does nothing for residents who want to obtain and carry in their own state.

so for us, visitors can come here carrying their guns and it would be perfectly legal but this state can still make it hard for us residents in obtaining a license and carrying.

However, we can walk into Manhattan and carry our guns there?

It could make it possible for people in New Jersey to conceal carry legally with Florida conceal carry permits.

I think not as NJ has their own crooked way of looking at things. The AG has an opinion letter (tanamount to law in NJ) regarding LEOSA. Recognizes LEOSA (like they can ignoire a Federal law?) but says if the retired LEO is a NJ resident they must have a NJ RPO Carry Permit (and provide the state with $50 to do so).

`(a)Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State, a person who is not prohibited by Federal law, who is carrying a government-issued photographic ID to carry a concealed firearm, may carry a concealed handgun, in any State, other than the State of residence of the person, that--

This would allow me, as a PA resident, to carry in NJ with my PA LTCF...but would not allow you, as a NJ resident, to carry in NJ with a FL/UT/AZ permit.

I believe this was tried a couple yrs ago and was alot more 'Federalised'. However, they seem now to let indiv states some breathing room. Feds would be too blanket -imho. So imagine 10-round mag cap Nationwide. I wouldnt wana go there.

Last time this was intro'd in the US Senate(?) Lautenberg had a FIT. Saying it was the "Most daanngggeerrrous legislation he's seen in some time". Korzine also flew down to protest, I believe.

Anyway. It was defeated ONLY by 2 votes. I see that in just a few short years later, along with Heller and Chicago rulings from SCOTUS of late, it would appear to me that a National -recognition- of CCW permit holders will have gained enough support to tilt the votes well into the favorable range.

Yea we've been down this road before, as this topic has come up a couple times. As stated before, this allows you to carry in OTHER states. Essentially, I could get an FL carry permit, and carry in ANY state that allows concealed carry, other than NJ. NJ does not specifically prohibit concealed carry, they just simply do not issue the permits, and they do not honor any other states permits. If this bill were to be passed, anybody who is NOT an NJ resident could carry in NJ, but NJ residents could not however carry in NJ.

This bill does not force states to issue permits. This bill, in essence, forces states to recognize the permits of any other state, as long as the state does not specifically prohibit carry.

Hopefully you are all understanding that, if passed, this reciprocity would almost (hopefully) force NJ into changing to a "shall issue", in order to give its own residents the same rights as visitors. If nothing else, it would bring up a whole slew of lawsuits against the state infringing on what I believe would be our 14th Amend. Time will tell!!

Hopefully you are all understanding that, if passed, this reciprocity would almost (hopefully) force NJ into changing to a "shall issue", in order to give its own residents the same rights as visitors. If nothing else, it would bring up a whole slew of lawsuits against the state infringing on what I believe would be our 14th Amend. Time will tell!!

Wishful thinking..the fact that this Legislation would allow Non-residents to have more rights than Residents would be lost on the Brain Trust in Trenton.

But who is to say that with FLA no longer putting your home address on the permit, that you are not a duel resident, and spend part of your time as a resident of FLA. Would this make you a law breaker when then if you were here part of the time.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/license/changes.html

So I have an AZ carry permit, and I maintain a residence there, though my primary residence and drivers lic are NJ. I'm assuming I cannot carry, even though I have an AZ permit, and an AZ state ID? I need to go get a drivers license out there.