McClane

What to do with all my 9mm brass?

I've been taking my 9mm brass home with me every range trip for the last 2 years. I've accumulated about 25lbs of once fired 9mm brass from several different makers, probably 2500-3000rds, maybe more. The thing is, I don't reload ammo and have no interest what so ever in starting. The box I've been keeping it in is full to the top so I'd like to get rid of it, and start over. I just don't know what to do with it.

Does this mixed box of once fired brass hold any value to people who reload?

Should I just sell it for scrap? (There is a scarp metal purchaser less than 1 mile form the range I shoot at.)

Any guidance you guys can give me on what to do with it would be appreciated.

There are several people on this forum who will probably pay you for it. Being that it's all 9mm, with nothing mixed in, I would say sell it as once-fired brass. If it was mixed calibers, I'd say to sell it as scrap.

Thanks for the reference.

It's all 9mm, mostly Federal Am Eagle 124gr which makes up about 2000+rds. There is some Rem, Speer, CCI Bl. Brass and some Win. I sure as hell don't want to count it out per peice nor do I want to separate it. Would I have to seperate it and count it out to sell it to a re-loader?

Guest schutzen-jager

$1.80 + per pound at scrap yard -

Luis,

I called a few more places today for scrap prices and there is no way I'll get $3+ a lb. The one shop I called yesterday wasn't very clear with the information he gave me so I was totally wrong. Sorry.

I'm still on the fence about what to do with it all. I may just hang on to it and shoot the 2500rds of CCI Blazer Brass I currently have to add to it. Or maybe I'll just wait to fill up a 5 gallon bucket, then figure out what to do with it. I don't know...

I've thought about it a lot and I probably never will re-laod ammo. I don't want to invest the time to learn how to do it properly. I don't have the time to learn or to actually re-load the ammo itself. I also don't want to run out and buy a bunch of equipment and components. I've looked into the cost saving aspect of it and when I factor in my time, it just doesn't make sense for me. It's cheaper and a hell of a lot easier to just buy factory loaded ammo I can rely on.

Personally I think you should give it to a reloader for like 20 bucks. You don't need it since you won't ever reload. It helps the reloader out and you get a 20 spot. Yeah I am sure you can get more if you invest the time and effort but theres no harm in making a little money and helping a fellow shooter out.

• Like 3

How much does brass get per pound in scrap? Do the primers need to be removed before selling them?

I've got a wide assortment of brass.... mainly .223/LCAAP 5.56, .308/7.62, 44mag, 45acp, some 30-06, .270 win, 7.62x39... I was thinking of sorting through all of it one day and organizing it (mainly cuz my dad wants his .308 casings back).

I have to ask, why would you save all that if you never planned to reload it? Neat freak?

I just bought the "lee classic reloader kit" for $69 at Midway and the dies for less than that.

After that it is a cleaner, powder and bullets. I am taking my time learning. Its kinda fun. I have taken 250 brass cases up to the point where i add powder. Just taking

my time to make sure i understand.

I have to ask, why would you save all that if you never planned to reload it? Neat freak?

I just bought the "lee classic reloader kit" for $69 at Midway and the dies for less than that.

After that it is a cleaner, powder and bullets. I am taking my time learning. Its kinda fun. I have taken 250 brass cases up to the point where i add powder. Just taking

my time to make sure i understand.

Brass is a bit like currency in the shooting community, if you have a lot of it, someone out there is gonna want it.

I bought, hoarded and scavenged over 3,000 pounds of brass from scrap yards, self-shooting, and local ranges over my 30 years of shooting.

I cleaned and sold about 80% as once-fired casings on the internet (www.reloadingbrass.com), cleaned and reloaded about 5% for myself, sold about 10% as scrap, and gave away about 5%. Now I just let it lay or give it away, unless it is an odd cartridge, then I save it for future use.

If you have the room, just collect it and store it. You never know what the future holds.

Personally I think you should give it to a reloader for like 20 bucks. You don't need it since you won't ever reload. It helps the reloader out and you get a 20 spot. Yeah I am sure you can get more if you invest the time and effort but theres no harm in making a little money and helping a fellow shooter out.

Its about $20 in scrap value. A good price is $35