Sign in to follow this  
HammerHead

locked up

I had a police officer and his family over last night for a social visit.

We got to talking about firearms and he mentioned that if you have kids 14 years old or younger at home you're required by law to have your firearms not only unloaded, but locked up as well (ie. in a safe or with trigger locks).

Up until last night my understanding was that NJ law required all firearms to be unloaded. (though locks, etc. were strongly recommended.)

So after he left I spent an hour or two searching NJ statutes and again only came up the law regarding unloaded firearms...if there are kids 16 years old or younger present.

I did see that Ocean County requires trigger locks/safes. So are those statutes local or statewide?

And if trigger locks/safes are required by law, and BB guns are considered to be firearms, do they also need to be 'unloaded & locked away' to be legal.

Thanks for any help.

Unfortunately some guys are given VERY bad information by their departments...where Their firearms instructors try to pass off THEIR Rules as applying to everyone. We have a Similar rule, but I usually get in trouble for pointing out that it ONLY applies to Department -owned weapons, not our Personal ones.... Which is why my Duty Weapon doesnt go home with me 99% of the time.

Tell your police officer friend that he needs to read his 2C book and stop making up laws.

2C:58-15. Minor's access to a loaded firearm; penalty, conditions

1. a. A person who knows or reasonably should know that a minor is likely to gain access to a loaded firearm at a premises under the person's control commits a disorderly persons offense if a minor gains access to the firearm, unless the person:

(1) Stores the firearm in a securely locked box or container;

(2) Stores the firearm in a location which a reasonable person would believe to be secure; or

(3) Secures the firearm with a trigger lock.

b. This section shall not apply:

(1) To activities authorized by section 14 of P.L.1979, c.179, (C.2C:58-6.1), concerning the lawful use of a firearm by a minor; or

(2) Under circumstances where a minor obtained a firearm as a result of an unlawful entry by any person.

c. As used in this act, "minor" means a person under the age of 16.

Also, your county can not make up their own set of rules contrary to the state laws.

AND, pellet/bb guns are considered firearms in NJ.

Tell your police officer friend that he needs to read his 2C book and stop making up laws.

Also, your county can not make up their own set of rules contrary to the state laws.

AND, pellet/bb guns are considered firearms in NJ.

While it's NOT An excuse Paul..I think the Instructors in the FI Classes are trying to pass that off as a change in State Law..i've heard half a dozen Recent Firearms Instructor Grads spouting the same thing. 2C sucks, but it's not THAT hard to understand.

When i applied for my permits i was asked if any minors were in my household, it was more of an awareness thing then a "you must lock up your guns", and he said they had free gun locks for residents, not sure what kind. I think he asked because i'm young and still live at home, and i did have a minor in the house at the time, just recently turned 18.

Which brings up an interesting question regarding your children.. Say your 17year old is home alone, is it legal for them to have access to a firearm in an emergency situation similar to a wife?

Under NJ law, your wife has zero accesses to your guns.

Let's be honest, under a truly life threatening situation, your wife and/or son should not be concerned with the law and be more concerned with saving their life. If it were my familty, I would make sure they know how to handle it and use it as needed to protect their life. Period!

When i applied for my permits i was asked if any minors were in my household, it was more of an awareness thing then a "you must lock up your guns", and he said they had free gun locks for residents, not sure what kind. I think he asked because i'm young and still live at home, and i did have a minor in the house at the time, just recently turned 18.

now that youve turned 18 did you register to vote, if not get it done and get your friends registered (not the anti gun ones) november will be here before you know it. voter turnout in midterm elections is light so ever vote counts.

now that youve turned 18 did you register to vote, if not get it done and get your friends registered (not the anti gun ones) november will be here before you know it. voter turnout in midterm elections is light so ever vote counts.

I'm 25, been voting for years... my sibling who turned 18 could care less about voting...the youth is more out of touch with voting then anyone i know.