A friend has a 20 gauge shotgun I want to borrow so I can teach my niece how to Trap Shoot. Can I borrow it from him, or does he need to go to the gun club with us so she can use it? I have an FID, she does not (she is 15). If I knew now that she would like doing this I would simply buy a gun for her to use when she visits. My 12 gauges would be too big and heavy for her.

I'm gonna have to go ahead and say that he would have to be there for you to borrow the gun. On the other hand, does he have his FID? I would think if you filled our certificates of eligability to transfer ownership to you, then technically it would be your gun. When it's time to give the gun back fill out another, or just shred the ones you filled out earlier. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You and your friend will need to fill out a transfer form. That would transfer ownership to you while your in possesion of the rifle. When you want to give it back, then fill out the form again, transferring it back.

If not done, I believe that would be illegal.

If it doesn't work out for you, let me know. I have a brand new (shot once) 20 ga that my wife doesn't want.

Thanks, you guys reaffirmed what I was thinking. Do a set of COE's to make the gun mine, then rip them up when I return it. Yes, we both have valid FID's.

Bryan, if your wife doesn't want it send me a PM and let me know what you have and what you are looking-for.

Thanks, you guys reaffirmed what I was thinking. Do a set of COE's to make the gun mine, then rip them up when I return it. Yes, we both have valid FID's.

Bryan, if your wife doesn't want it send me a PM and let me know what you have and what you are looking-for.

Yes, after filling out the forms the gun is yours, however ripping them up would not be 100% illegal. Technically you would need to fill out another set to transfer the gun back. However, if the forms do happen to be destroyed, and you don't have the gun... then you never owned it...

A friend has a 20 gauge shotgun I want to borrow so I can teach my niece how to Trap Shoot. Can I borrow it from him, or does he need to go to the gun club with us so she can use it? I have an FID, she does not (she is 15). If I knew now that she would like doing this I would simply buy a gun for her to use when she visits. My 12 gauges would be too big and heavy for her.

When I picked up my FID the other day, I asked the LEO who gave me my card about using/borrowing/transporting someone else's firearm. His reply was that as long as you both have FID cards and the gun was purchased legally, that it was completely legal to do so.

One may borrow another person's:

1. rifle or shotgun:

(a) for up to 8 hours on a 'State Filed Charter' Target Range in the presence of the owner

(d) while hunting with a rifle or shotgun in the vicinity of the owner

2. handgun:

(a) for up to 8 hours on a 'State Filed Charter' Target Range in the presence of the owner

This person must also meet the requirements of ownership (see: Who can own a firearm?), but not necessarily need to possess a 'Handgun Purchase Permit' or 'Firearms Purchaser Identification Card'.