Dan

This has gotta hurt!

more proof that birdshot does NOT work

Not that I'd condone birdshot for home defense, but based on the pattern density, I'll bet the distance he was hit was at least 25-30 yds. And I'm guessing a southernly hit on a fleeing northbound man. Typical patterns of any small shot could be as small as 3 inches to as large are 12 inches at ten yards depending upon choke.

My grandfather carried about sixty #6 pellets in his right leg for 42 years before he died. The doctor never removed them. My Uncle Baldassare, my Grandpa's brother-in-law, shot him while rabbit hunting back in the 40's.

Not that I'd condone birdshot for home defense, but based on the pattern density, I'll bet the distance he was hit was at least 25-30 yds. And I'm guessing a southernly hit on a fleeing northbound man. Typical patterns of any small shot could be as small as 3 inches to as large are 12 inches at ten yards depending upon choke.

I dunno...I shot some bird shot out of my 18.5 inch non choked barrel and it had a 30 inch pattern at about 15 yards. Astoundingly bad pattern at a very short distance.

Wow. The guy definitely got the short end of the stick there. If they can't save him an early death, hopefully they can at least mitigate his pain.

I totally agree...ever seen the movie "law abidding citizen". Hope the pricks who did this see it and have to watch their backs the rest of their lives.

-Scott

They had sawn off shotguns - that's the reason for the large spread.

I dunno...I shot some bird shot out of my 18.5 inch non choked barrel and it had a 30 inch pattern at about 15 yards. Astoundingly bad pattern at a very short distance.

I missed the part about the sawed-off shotguns. However, yours is a poor pattern at 15 yds. with a CYL bore. Were you using cheap loads or premium target loads?

This fellow's backside doesn't have a core concentration of pellets. And he fits rather well within the uniform spread too.

"Just yesterday I witnessed a 24" spread with #4 shot out of a 26" barrel with IC choke at 10 yards."

It's common knowledge that #4's are the threshold shot size (and larger) where most shotguns show more variances and sometimes poorer patterns from gun to gun.

it said 'doorstep attack'. didnt say anything about being a distance away. and while it said 'sawed off shotgun', there is no explanation of the barrel length. a 17in barrel is considered 'sawed off' and i doubt the loss of 1.5 inches would do much difference.

keep the birdshot for the birds.

The spread on his back tells me it was a distance shot. Dude, you've shot birdshot at Bullet Hole with me and at 7 yards it'll do the trick. Not saying it's better than buck or slugs, but a good alternative if that's all you got.