alec.mc

Does the law consider a FTX bullet a Hollow Point?

The other day during conversation somebody had mentioned to me that NJ law only considers a bullet a hollow point if it indents inward a certain thousandths of an inch, giving the example of flex tip filled bullets not qualified as hollow points, even went as far as saying if you filled the hollow point tips with wax, nj no longer considers it a hollow point.

So, Is this true? or just hear say mumbo jumbo that really doesnt hold up?

Reason I ask is because I just had a shipment of some Hornady Critical Defense FTX .357 mag ammo come in for my home defense bed side gun, and it sparked my curiosity.

Pic:

5882134115_325f0d6d35_z.jpg

The NJSP Firearms Unit considers Hornady Critical Defense, Federal EFMJ, and Corbon Powerball, NOT to be hollowpoints. The law states nothing about dimensions.

I was gonna say the same thing, law just say's hollow points. If the bullet nose is not hollow then i fail to see anything suggesting it would need to fall under exemption.

So, Is this true? or just hear say mumbo jumbo that really doesnt hold up?

But, particularly if we're talking about ammo in a bedside gun, it shouldn't need to hold up because keeping hollow points in your home is not illegal. The hollow point ammo laws, to the best of my understanding, would generally just tack on further penalties in instances where someone was already doing something illegal and used/possessed hollow points while doing so.

possesion is not illegal if you have them in home fine. using them for target practice fine. transporting directly to and from said target practice including "only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances" fine

source: http://www.nj.gov/njsp/about/fire_hollow.html

possesion is not illegal if you have them in home fine. using them for target practice fine. transporting directly to and from said target practice including "only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances" fine

source: http://www.nj.gov/njsp/about/fire_hollow.html

It's all in how you read the statute, hollow points in NJ are illegal first and legal through exemption second. I'll give you a scenario, you get pulled over on the highway while driving to the range, hollow points are discovered. YOU have to explain that you fall under exemption in order to not be prosecuted. So in essence, an exemption is a get out of jail free card.

Your source is the NJSP interpretation of the law, read the actual statute and you will get the picture.

It's all in how you read the statute, hollow points in NJ are illegal first and legal through exemption second. I'll give you a scenario, you get pulled over on the highway while driving to the range, hollow points are discovered. YOU have to explain that you fall under exemption in order to not be prosecuted. So in essence, an exemption is a get out of jail free card.

Your source is the NJSP interpretation of the law, read the actual statute and you will get the picture.

EVERY GUN YOU OWN is illegal First, then permitted through exception..keep that in mind.

• Like 2

While I know just because I can purchase them it doesn't make it legal, but Dick's has been selling Remington 22lr hollow points for years. I also understood that hollow points were legal just as police scanners are...................until you commit a crime with either. Then all bets are off and you are screwed!!!

While I know just because I can purchase them it doesn't make it legal, but Dick's has been selling Remington 22lr hollow points for years. I also understood that hollow points were legal just as police scanners are...................until you commit a crime with either. Then all bets are off and you are screwed!!!

Not really, if for instance you were one of the lucky ones in NJ to have a Carry permit, you would not be able to carry hollow points. You cannot put a box of hollow points in your trunk and drive to work like u could with "standard" ammo.

http://corbon.com/Pow-RBall.html - "The patented Pow'RBall projectile is a JHP bullet with a polymer ball crimped in the tip. "

Federal or Hornaday does not say hollow points. While Corbon clearly states JHP. That might be an issue if the manufacturer states its JHP and your are being tried by 12.

The NJSP Firearms Unit considers Hornady Critical Defense, Federal EFMJ, and Corbon Powerball, NOT to be hollowpoints. The law states nothing about dimensions.

http://corbon.com/Pow-RBall.html - "The patented Pow'RBall projectile is a JHP bullet with a polymer ball crimped in the tip. "

Federal or Hornaday does not say hollow points. While Corbon clearly states JHP. That might be an issue if the manufacturer states its JHP and your are being tried by 12.

Nope.

njsp_hollowpoint.jpg

Why do people care about whether or not the handgun bullet is hollow point? Do you carry handgun ammo without a handgun in the car? I don't.

I avoid hollow point rifle ammo as I may want to make a few deviations that may or may not be judged necessary on my way to/from the range.

Up until the Aitken ruling I would have said that all bullets where the nose is filled with a polymer plug would be included as essentially identical to those in the AFTE memo.

However, the judge in the Aitken ruling changed the landscape by ruling that any bullet that expands "more than usual" is illegal by statute,

See this thread...

http://njgunforums.c...nd/page__st__30

Posts #37 through #43

Adios,

Pizza Bob

EVERY GUN YOU OWN is illegal First, then permitted through exception..keep that in mind.

Actually, it is NOT. That law is unconstitutional and illegal.

Regardless of what you consider it the law is still on the books and enforceable. Until it changes you just have to deal with it and fight it. I don't think this law is fair is not really a good defense.

My dept uses Winchester ranger 147gr JHP ammo. 9mm

Actually, it is NOT. That law is unconstitutional and illegal.

read the statute..2C:39 first prohibits the possession of firearms, then goes on to list the exemptions...but hey WTH do I know???? i've only been studying it for 28-odd years.

As for Unconstitutional..yes in essence it is,...NOW, However it was COMPLETELY Constitutional until the Chicago V McDonald case a few years ago.

Civics 101 time, Again. the US Constitution consists of 2 parts. the First details how the Federal Giovernment works, and lays out the Separation of powers, as well as other day-to-day operational minutia. the Second Part consists of the Amendments to the Constitution, which go on to Limit the Power of the FEDERAL Government. The individual states had their OWN Constitutions which then limited the power of those states, and guaranteeing rights on that level. NJ, does not have, and HAS NEVER HAD an RKBA enumerated in its State Constitution. EVER. NJ could have completely banned all firearms with NO Exceptions and been within their rights up until the 2nd Amendment was Incorporated as Binding to the states (Under the 14th Ammendment) through the McDonald Case's Decision by SCOTUS. Unless, and UNTIL someone Challenges the wording of 2C:39 at a State, Appellate, Federal District, and SCOTUS levels in succession, there isnt much chance of getting a change here.

Now, you may call me a defeatist or any other snarky name you like, but the REALITY Politically in NJ is that we dont have the voting power as a block to be considered relevant as gun owners. the NJ2AS team along with NJRPC have tried and will continue to try to change this, but as a group we are too Fractured, and too many groups are willing to throw other groups under the bus to make sure "Their" type of shooting isnt affected. The ONLY time we have had any type of Positive action legislatively is when the legislature reneged on it's agreement with the hunters on the .50 cal ban. The original text banned every rifled firearm .50 cal and greater....EVERY, including Muzzleloaders, Rifles Shotgun Bbls, and the .50BMG/.50SW guns that the lawmakers said they were "Targeting" (pun intended). The Lawmakers promised that they would amend the new statute to exempt hunting firearms, and the hunters and their minions backed off...and the the legislature stuck it up their collective a$$es, by submitting the bill in it's original form. As SOON as the text was published the shooting community acted together and got the ban voted down. Problem is that when it comes to Handguns, or CCW, or EBR's, or tactical-shotguns, or Ect, Ect, Ect, Joe Hunter who is happy with his Muzzleloader, or shotgun, or Bow, or Jim Clays with his O/U Double or whatever those guys use, just doesnt CARE..after all THEIR guns aren't on the chopping block. Again, unless, and Until Firearms owners AS A GROUP can come together and unify, nothing will change in NJ short of a SCOTUS decision, and probably an AG getting charged with Contempt of SCOTUS for ignoring a decision.

Legal or not , I really dont know .

Hunt in PA, Sportsman carry permit, carry the 158gr..357 JHP in my pistol and use the same round in my 1894 C lever gun.

pistol, rifle and ammunition carried in the bed of my truck.

read the statute..2C:39 first prohibits the possession of firearms, then goes on to list the exemptions...but hey WTH do I know???? i've only been studying it for 28-odd years.

As for Unconstitutional..yes in essence it is,...NOW, However it was COMPLETELY Constitutional until the Chicago V McDonald case a few years ago.

Civics 101 time, Again. the US Constitution consists of 2 parts. the First details how the Federal Giovernment works, and lays out the Separation of powers, as well as other day-to-day operational minutia. the Second Part consists of the Amendments to the Constitution, which go on to Limit the Power of the FEDERAL Government. The individual states had their OWN Constitutions which then limited the power of those states, and guaranteeing rights on that level. NJ, does not have, and HAS NEVER HAD an RKBA enumerated in its State Constitution. EVER. NJ could have completely banned all firearms with NO Exceptions and been within their rights up until the 2nd Amendment was Incorporated as Binding to the states (Under the 14th Ammendment) through the McDonald Case's Decision by SCOTUS. Unless, and UNTIL someone Challenges the wording of 2C:39 at a State, Appellate, Federal District, and SCOTUS levels in succession, there isnt much chance of getting a change here.

While your statement that the Bill of Rights initially only applied to the Federal government, that is now incorrect. Most (8 out of 10 I believe) of the Bill of Rights have explicitly been held to apply to the states as well through the 14th amendment. Heller explicitly established that the 2nd amendment guarantees an individual right and McDonald explicitly applies the 2nd amendment to the states.