Ray Ray

STI guns?

I keep hearing about these super duper pistols that seem to be the beez kneez in regards to quality/reliability/fit. But I don't see many of them and whenever someone recomends a handgun, there name always pops up. Why?

The majority of the people I see at matches, and most of my friends that shoot, have at least 1 STI. I have 3

They can be purchased relatively cheap( stock Spartan in 9mm or 45acp for around $650) to upwards of $4k for a custom (insert gunsmith name here) limited or open gun.

The pistols are "super duper" to many people because they are a high quality, reliable firearm that many people use to compete in IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge, etc.

Sky is the limit with what you can do and have done to them to make them personalized for what you want to do with them.

Also STI is a major supporter to action shooting sports with generous contingency programs for shooters using their frames/guns.

They also have started selling an AR that is reasonably priced, as well as a polymer gun based on the Slovak Gran Power.

• Like 1

Like Ronny and Luis said, you'll see them a lot at matches since they're very prominent in competition circles. Its unfortunate that you don't see them in everyday usage but since thier "cheap" guns, the Spartan and the Trojan cost about $650 and $1000 respectively, you see a lot more Kimbers, Springers, Rocks, and Smith's in the gunshops. The rest of the STI lineup is significantly more expensive and competition oriented so they tend to get passed over for folks wanting casual shooters or even carry items (although they seem to cater to that too with items the are seemingly competitive with Brown, Baer and Wilson). The point is that they are great guns but seem to be pigeonholed in a niche market that limits thier exposure. I'm currently trying to decide on a Spartan, Trojan and maybe the Ruger for a Single Stack shooter but the STI guns get the nod since they're generally set up for competition shooting from the start.

The majority of the people I see at matches, and most of my friends that shoot, have at least 1 STI. I have 3

They can be purchased relatively cheap( stock Spartan in 9mm or 45acp for around $650) to upwards of $4k for a custom (insert gunsmith name here) limited or open gun.

The pistols are "super duper" to many people because they are a high quality, reliable firearm that many people use to compete in IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge, etc.

Sky is the limit with what you can do and have done to them to make them personalized for what you want to do with them.

Also STI is a major supporter to action shooting sports with generous contingency programs for shooters using their frames/guns.

They also have started selling an AR that is reasonably priced, as well as a polymer gun based on the Slovak Gran Power.

Although I don't yet own one, I have shot several. Even the Spartan feels "tight" and shoots to point of aim at 25 yards and beyond! They have the nicest 1911 platform is the business right now, and like others have said, are Match sponsors at various disciplines. A gun that you can do almost anything with, out of the box. You get what you pay for and sometimes it's just nice to start with something that you can "grow" into. The 9mm is a great "trainer" for those that want to shoot a 1911 and don't want the expense of a .45 or the wimpiness of a .22 conversion. I don't own a single 9mm, since I shoot only 1911's (.40's & .45's), but if I ever buy a 9, it will be a Spartan or Edge.

It does makes sense for them to market them toward competition but they can make a big splash in the CCW or duty gun market. Thanks for the replies guys, good info.

It does makes sense for them to market them toward competition but they can make a big splash in the CCW or duty gun market. Thanks for the replies guys, good info.

Some day when you're working nights, if you come up to the place you hate, you can shoot my STI.

Some day when you're working nights, if you come up to the place you hate, you can shoot my STI.

25 bucks for a day pass? no thanks

Some day when you aren't taking the misses to lunch-time picnics, come on down to my range and shoot my Public Defender.

25 bucks for a day pass? no thanks

Some day when you aren't taking the misses to lunch-time picnics, come on down to my range and shoot my Public Defender.

Though I DO think $25 is a rip, how much is 2hrs at SS, BA, BH?

I feel that they market their guns to everyone.

They offer various models that can be used for CCW, also I have read how many law enforcement personnel use the STI as their duty weapon. (those that have the option to pick)

Yes the majority of their guns can and are used for competition, but it does not mean you can't carry a commander size 2011 as your carry gun.

The reason you don't see them in a lot of gun stores is this.

1) The margin on them isn't that great unless you get stocking dealer status. To do that you need to pony up and order about $10,000 of inventory at once, and order a certain minimum quantity per year. Even then, the margin isn't something to make a distributor see dollar signs, so they are pretty reliant on a stocking dealer network.

2) They have a minimum advertised price policy that makes it hard to let people know you have a better price than STI insists upon being advertised.

Not entirely true. But close.

I have an STI Ranger II 1911 on order and expect delivery in late July. It is a single stack commander sized 1911 in either 9mm or 45 ACP. I ordered the 9mm rom Brazos Custom. The cost is about $1000.

I have an STI Ranger II 1911 on order and expect delivery in late July. It is a single stack commander sized 1911 in either 9mm or 45 ACP. I ordered the 9mm rom Brazos Custom. The cost is about $1000.

This is a Ranger II. As stated above I got a 9mm. it has Heine night sights.

post-2810-0-46066000-1310352517_thumb.jpg

Why does STI love those huge ugly rollmarks so much? :icon_e_sad:

Yep, they have big roll marks. But, theses things are made in Texas and Texas = big. On the Ranger II the opposite side is the outline of the State of Texas. Not bad.

Yep, they have big roll marks. But, theses things are made in Texas and Texas = big. On the Ranger II the opposite side is the outline of the State of Texas. Not bad.

I guess. I like subdued styling in classic models. It's just a preference. I would get over it pretty quickly if it was a performer.

I guess. I like subdued styling in classic models. It's just a preference. I would get over it pretty quickly if it was a performer.

They have dropped the giant rollmarks on a number of their guns in more recent production. They are starting ot get the message a lot of folks don't like it, but not enough to advertise the change as a feature.

They have dropped the giant rollmarks on a number of their guns in more recent production. They are starting ot get the message a lot of folks don't like it, but not enough to advertise the change as a feature.

Well, responsiveness to the customer is always a good thing.

Why does STI love those huge ugly rollmarks so much? :icon_e_sad:

Chis- Those roll marks are a humanitarian gesture on the part of STI.

You see, it enables the BG to identify that you have a quality weapon and mean business. It

differentiates it from some POS Kimber that may malfunction.

Flame on... :diablo:

• Like 4