jcerillo70

Great news from the Jackson Police Dept.

I sent an email into the chief of police asking if it was allowable to shoot handguns on our personal property. He gave me a great answer

Heres the email

ME:

Hi Chief Kunz,

We moved to Jackson about a few years ago onto 7 acres of property on Wright Debow rd. We have always been curious as to if we were allowed to target shoot with small caliber handguns on our own property as long as it is 400 feet away from other houses and property. Providing there be an adequate backstop and are shooting down a hill into the backstop as a secondary precaution.

We are all licensed hunter's , Fid card holders , and Florida CCW holders with certified safety training in short and long arms. I look foward to your response Chief Kunz.

Thank you Sir,

Joe Cerillo

CHEIF:

Generally, yes. I have copied our Rangemaster, Police Officer Rubio, and ask that he provide a more detailed response.

Stay safe.

Sincerely,

Matthew D. Kunz

Chief of Police

Jackson Township Police Department

JPD RANGE OFFICER:

Sir,

There is nothing in the New Jersey State Criminal, Administrative or Jackson Township Code that would prohibit any person from discharging a firearm (any non prohibited firearm) anywhere on ones property, so long as the area of discharge, intended trajectory and intended area of rest are more than 450 feet from any occupied dwelling.

I commend you for taking the time to inquire, and insure that you are shooting in a safe manner (proper back stop etc).

Lastly, I would advise you that NJ state requirements for a Police range are that a 25 yd range have at least a 12’ high back stop, a 50 yd range a 20’ high back stop and any range has 8’ high side berms. Thickness of berms is determined by the caliber of firearm that you are shooting.

Hopefully this helps,

Police Officer

Vincent Rubio #199

Jackson Township Police Department

Pretty cool! i never thought we would be able too.

When I lived in Bamber Lake. Had an inground pool installed and had the diggings dumped at rear of property. Instant range!!!

If you don't want to rent a Bobcat, have a weekend party for all your fellow shooting friends, plenty of food and beer, and get it dug-out. Tell them they are all welcome to come back the following weekend to use it, no beer though.

Do you have a room I could rent?

lol I'll have to have a njgunforum event once we get everything up and running. Maybe a rimfire match or something

Regarding the email. The officer said to have a 12; high backstop and 8' high berms "For a police rage" >>> Does that mean i HAVE to set it up like that? I am shooting down a hill anyway, i can see its going to be a **** to make berms for 25 yards

Joe, i think he was merely giving an example of a known safe backstop/range design, specifically the layout the police use when constructing theirs. You don't necessarily need to build it exactly the same way, but perhaps using it as s guide when putting your own range together would be helpful.

You didn't say where on WDB you were, N or S of 195? Obviously the bigger the backstop the better. How's the neighbours (or not?). Are they locals or transplanted N Jerseyites/NY-ers who will be calling in to JPD every time you do shoot?

I think im south of i195. im # 851

The neighbors on our side are what you would call "Locals"

Then maybe 300 yards away are the big houses where the Staten italy crew's live. I've had run ins with one guy who tried chasing me off my own property while quadding because its behind his house. He became belligerent when i tried to explain to him that the property is mine. Especially when i got off to show him the property markers to prove him wrong.(Meanwhile his kids use our trails to ride all the time)

Other than him we should be good.

What about zoning? Just cause the Chief says he doesn't mind, doesn't mean that the zoning officer of the town puts an O-K on it, especially since you already gave notice of your intent.......

Maybe the zoning guy gets to use the range for free, LOL!

So, when's the Range warming party?

Seriously, keep on the lookout for people/companies looking to get rid of clean fill.

Look for and place ads on craigslist for this. Just make sure it isn't from around an old oil tank or you will have a superfund site on your hands.

Then maybe 300 yards away are the big houses where the Staten italy crew's live. I've had run ins with one guy who tried chasing me off my own property while quadding because its behind his house. He became belligerent when i tried to explain to him that the property is mine. Especially when i got off to show him the property markers to prove him wrong.(Meanwhile his kids use our trails to ride all the time)

851 puts you North of 195, and closer to 537, with Hardwood Dr (McMansions) in back of you. That's an odd shaped property, a long dogleg to the SE, with a skinny frontage on WDB. You may want to measure or have surveyed where you want to put the backstop, so you aren't coming within 450ft of Vinny's backyard :) Quadders are always behind my house, which is a utility ROW (big electric towers). I don't mind, personally, so long as its not early in the AM, there's only one obnoxious fat slob with an aftermarket can on his quad that I wish would hit a log or get nabbed by the coppers

I live in Jackson right off of county line, You need any help let me know and I can shoot over. I am surprised the chief was so positive about the situation he seemed to be quite anti gun as I knew him. He took over 4 months to give me and my father our permits and FID cards and he stalled issuing a pistol permit to one of his own lieutenants in the station. I guess he's not so bad after all that's really great and like I said you need any helping hands to build I am down just PM me.

Hate to be Debbie downer, here. But with information like that, you may be best advised to take more precautions to secure your property from tresspassing children before you begin shooting. If one of Asshat Vinny's kids gets a bullet wound, your world will get turned upside down in a civil suit.

The trails are behind the house, Where we would shoot is further away off to the left.

There people throwing away a bunch of tires and railroad ties down the street, Then ill have to frame it out and pile some dirt with the bobcat. Since we are shooting down hill i dont think ill need a 12 foot backstop

I really feel for you. I see this shyt all the time. New Yorkers move here and think the world is theirs to ride their damn quads and motorcycles in. I can't publish what we used to do to those people on here...................

Grew-up across the street from you in Millstone Township. They actually have pretty liberal discharge laws there too, never would have thought Jackson would also be so open. I can shoot on my parents property, but my father doesn't want to hear the noise anymore, and my mother can't really hear so it wouldn't bother her.

I really feel for you. I see this shyt all the time. New Yorkers move here and think the world is theirs to ride their damn quads and motorcycles in. I can't publish what we used to do to those people on here...................

Grew-up across the street from you in Millstone Township. They actually have pretty liberal discharge laws there too, never would have thought Jackson would also be so open. I can shoot on my parents property, but my father doesn't want to hear the noise anymore, and my mother can't really hear so it wouldn't bother her.

Like in the movie Big Daddy where they throw the stick in front of the roller bladers sarcastic_hand.gif

The trails are behind the house, Where we would shoot is further away off to the left.

There people throwing away a bunch of tires and railroad ties down the street, Then ill have to frame it out and pile some dirt with the bobcat. Since we are shooting down hill i dont think ill need a 12 foot backstop

Shooting downhill would require a taller backstop in my opinion. If you were shooting uphill you could go lower.

• Like 1

Fergot about the Zoning board, there is code to comply with if you have that more dangerous than a backyard range accessory--a swimming pool--that requires fencing & whatnot.. What it may be for a range is unknown. If the kids are already on yer property, you may want to consider some sort of fencing along your boundaries. With signs of some sort.