Sign in to follow this  
NJdiverTony

Help with scope I mounted on my slug gun

Hey all, need some advice from you guys that are more experienced with mounting optics. I just mounted a brand new Nikon scope on my new 20 gauge slug gun. I'm using Leupold PRW rings, which mount onto the weaver/picatinny rail. I'm using medium height rings to keep the scope as close to the barrel as possible, but in order for the scope to clear the hammer on the gun (it clears it by maybe 1/16th or 1/8th of an inch), I had to slide it back a bit so the eyepiece is further back. The position of the eyepiece actually works great for me, but since I don't know a lot about scope mounting, I'm not sure if the way it's mounted may cause any issues... Can you more experienced guys take a look at the pic below and let me know what you think? Should I replace the rings with higher ones so I can slide the scope forward a bit and more evenly space the body of the scope over the rings? As it is right now, much of the body of the scope is hanging off the back ring. Just want to make sure that it won't get damaged this way from the recoil of the shotgun.

IMG-20110708-00010.jpg

The only two potential problems I see are eye relief in order to get a good sight picture, and "eye relief" in order to keep the scope from whacking you in the face. The only issue with damaging the scope will be from it clocking you in the forehead... but at that point you won't care too much about the scope.

The only two potential problems I see are eye relief in order to get a good sight picture, and "eye relief" in order to keep the scope from whacking you in the face. The only issue with damaging the scope will be from it clocking you in the forehead... but at that point you won't care too much about the scope.

I've got about 3.5" to 4" of eye relief... so I think I'm OK there.

I do wonder if you could grind the hammer down a smidge in order to get the scope to fit though.

Or could move up to high rings from the medium? Probably the easiest fix, no? Not sure that I feel comfortable with grinding down the hammer spur, and it also might void any warranty on the gun.

Or could move up to high rings from the medium? Probably the easiest fix, no? Not sure that I feel comfortable with grinding down the hammer spur, and it also might void any warranty on the gun.

I hear ya on that... from the pic I don't think you really want to go with rings any higher than you currently have, however would depend on your cheek weld. If the scope feels low to you, then higher rings may be the best option.

I hear ya on that... from the pic I don't think you really want to go with rings any higher than you currently have, however would depend on your cheek weld. If the scope feels low to you, then higher rings may be the best option.

Yeah, that's the thing... actually the scope feels a tiny bit high for me as it is... so if I went higher, that wouldn't help me with getting a good cheek weld.

Tony, it seems your issue is fairly common for H&R slug guns. Searching around it seems others just go with HIGH rings for clearance and even the sample pic on H&R's own site shows a scoped gun with a lot more daylight under the scope thus confirming that higher rings are pretty much a necessity for larger scopes like yours. If you had a smaller scope with slimmer features, you might get away with having the hammer spur tucked just under the ocular piece if it clears the full throw. You'll most likely need to also install an extended side hammer spur to aid in cocking the hammer.

Just checked Leupold's site... The High PRW rings are only .12" higher so maybe that will give me enough clearance without putting the scope up too high?

Tony, it seems your issue is fairly common for H&R slug guns. Searching around it seems others just go with HIGH rings for clearance and even the sample pic on H&R's own site shows a scoped gun with a lot more daylight under the scope thus confirming that higher rings are pretty much a necessity for larger scopes like yours. If you had a smaller scope with slimmer features, you might get away with having the hammer spur tucked just under the ocular piece if it clears the full throw. You'll most likely need to also install an extended side hammer spur to aid in cocking the hammer.

Thanks JonF. I already have the extended side hammer spur installed. H&R includes one with the gun. The next step up in the PRW rings buys me .12" in height... That might be just enough to help me move the scope forward by another inch or more.

Looks like I got the problem fixed... I modified the side extension for the hammer so I can slide it down on the hammer spur just a bit... it gave me enough clearance to move teh scope forward by 1" to 1.5". It now looks centered over the rings and feels more comfortable to look through the scope. There's VERY little clearance between the scope and the hammer, but as long as there's clearance it should be good.

Looks like I got the problem fixed... I modified the side extension for the hammer so I can slide it down on the hammer spur just a bit... it gave me enough clearance to move teh scope forward by 1" to 1.5". It now looks centered over the rings and feels more comfortable to look through the scope. There's VERY little clearance between the scope and the hammer, but as long as there's clearance it should be good.

Sweet! Now get 'er zeroed and go kill a big buck!

Good job Tony. BTW don't get to crazy about getting the scope close to C/L of the bore on a shotgun.

Like Jon said, now go kill a nice buck!!

Sweet! Now get 'er zeroed and go kill a big buck!

Like Jon said, now go kill a nice buck!!

Thanks guys! I'm gonna try... but I've got a lot to learn about deer hunting and just hoping that I can get lucky enough to get one this year. Although I've hunted a lot of small game in my life (with a long break from hunting in the last few years), I feel like a total newbie about hunting deer. There so much to know and learn about it, and also to be successful at it... so I feel a little overwhelmed.