Sign in to follow this  
Malsua

Out of state vehicle title transfer

I'm getting a truck from my Mom in Ohio.

On her end, I think they have to sign and date the title in front of a notary and a bill of sale.

What can I do for plates? Should I just have her do the title, mail it to me then transfer and get plates before I go out to pick it up?

I would think NJ would just accept a notarized title with a bill of sale but I'm not sure if there are other requirements.

Anyone have experience with this?

NJ DMV has a set regimen for how they will title and register a car. You should give them a call and ask what you need.

I'm having an issue right now where I bought my car from California, financed half the amount, and apparently California keeps the title and will only transfer it to the DMV for registration. Problem is, California takes forever to issue titles and does not issue temp tags. So I'm stuck with a car that I can't drive until I get the title sent here, and god knows how long that will take.

I've only bought new cars from out of state. I brought the title to the DMV with all the stuff filled out. They charged me the tax and the amount to re-title the car to NJ, then they printed up a new one and I was done (oh and the inspection).

NJ DMV has a set regimen for how they will title and register a car. You should give them a call and ask what you need.

I'm having an issue right now where I bought my car from California, financed half the amount, and apparently California keeps the title and will only transfer it to the DMV for registration. Problem is, California takes forever to issue titles and does not issue temp tags. So I'm stuck with a car that I can't drive until I get the title sent here, and god knows how long that will take.

This vehicle is fully paid for, so there's no issues like that. I will have the clear title in my hand.

I payed cash for a used truck in Delaware a few years ago. Had no problems transfering at NJ DMV with title and bill of sale. They didn't give me the NJ title right away, only registration card and plates. The title came in the mail a couple of weeks later.

I payed cash for a used truck in Delaware a few years ago. Had no problems transfering at NJ DMV with title and bill of sale. They didn't give me the NJ title right away, only registration card and plates. The title came in the mail a couple of weeks later.

K, that's exactly what I was after. Did the guy in DE notarize it?

K, that's exactly what I was after. Did the guy in DE notarize it?

No. Your best bet would be to call NJ DMV like one of the other posters said. I do remember the Delaware title was a lot different than the NJ one. Each state may do things a little differently. I do remember the woman I was dealing with at NJ DMV had to call one of her friends over because she was having trouble understanding the Delaware title. She tried telling me I signed it incorrectly, but she was wrong.

I bought a new truck in Ohio back in 2000, the dealer didn't have the means to register it for me here in NJ so he gave me the title (which I was surprised by since I financed the truck) and I registered it here myself - after paying the sales tax in NJ. I don't remember if the title was notarized or not, but I was not a problem at all to register it here.

I have also since then bought several new trucks in NY and registered them the same way, again I don't remember if the titles were notarized.

My girlfriend just titled and registered a car this morning she purchased from her uncle in conecticut.

Nothing was notorized. They didn't even want to see the bill of sale he filled out and signed for her.

My girlfriend just titled and registered a car this morning she purchased from her uncle in conecticut.

Nothing was notorized. They didn't even want to see the bill of sale he filled out and signed for her.

Ok, that makes it easy.

I just need my mom to get the title to me then so I can transfer my plates.