82ndAbnRVN

Let's Go Hog Hunting!

I'm not a hunter and I don't know why, but the notion of going on a pig hunt trip fascinates me. I'm hoping to get 2 or more guys together for a hunt and and am looking for input from the forum. Have you ever been on one - have any recommmendations? I'm thinking a 3-4 day trip (1-2 days round trip travel time and 2 days hunting).

From what little I've read these boars can be hunted with knife, pistol, bow, shotgun, or rifle. Dogs tracking is sometimes an option. Pigs range in size from ~100# to more than 350#. Some packages have lodging.

Looks like the hunts are guaranteed; there are differing price ranges, and varying drive times.

Here are come random links:

South Carolina: http://www.hunthogs.com/

Georgia: http://www.hogguide.net/index_files/georgiawildboarhunt.htm

Georgia: http://www.blackcreeklodge.com/Boar_hunting/boar_hunting.html

Pennsylvania: http://www.tiogaboarhunting.com/home.htm

Maybe we could do a pig roast/BBQ for the forum when we get back.So, join the discussion and let's get something set up for early fall (I hate the cold)!

I had a great hog hunt a few years ago at the Haun Ranch in Texas. http://www.captainterry.com/HaunRanch/Index.asp .

Great rates and facilities. A guide is available if you want one, but you are welcome to go out without. They will butcher the hogs for you, and there is no limit to the number of hogs you shoot, nor any per-hog fee.

Keep in mind this is a large, open property that does not have a "guaranteed kill" policy. Some of the game preserves offering a guaranteed kill can sometime be nothing more than a glorified petting zoo that ignore the ethics of fair-chase hunting.

I stayed in their lodge for three days and two nights. This is a property for a genuine hunt in exciting terrain. Definitely recommended.

a few friends went hog hunting and deer hunting here and had a great time, plenty of property supposedly more than tioga but i also heard tioga has increase their property since then

http://www.northmountainoutfitters.com/index.php?id=directions

http://www.captainterry.com/HaunRanch/Charters.asp

They have a "group" package... up to 10 hunters, 2 days, $4000. Seems like a great value if we can hit the required number.

Interested - very interested. Missed that this was in TX - would prefer something driveable as well.

Money is the real issue for me. I'm interested but the bottom line will be the deciding factor. I'd personally would be more interested if it was somewhere we could drive, no airline BS, no checking firearms, no sexual assualt. There are many places in the carolinas that offer hunts.

I did a deer hunt in SC which offered hog as an additional option. Many states classify hogs as livestock so the hunting laws are much more liberal, which is why knives, pistols, shotguns, rifles and spears are possible.

I'm interested.

some initial thoughts.... Leth is 100% on. Driving distances are different for different people... 4 hrs or 14 hrs. S. Carolina might be closest, Ga next.

Some experience from hog hunts I have been on in S. Georgia when I lived in Atlanta. I have been 4 times, I have taken 2, one was 125# and the other 160#. Truly wild pics are smaller usually, it is the hybrid pigs that get friggin huge. Seen a few, but did not want to hunt them with a handgun. A 300# pig needs to be shot with a hipower rifle or slug gun in my opinion. Never been to a preserve, had friends with hunting property or farms. Both were taken with a Glock 20 with standard barrel. Use high quality hunting ammo, buffalo bore or cor-bon. With a handgun you are going to want to be 30yards or less. Both mine were taken under 20 yards. Water is very important to you and the pigs. Take a good amount with you, travel light otherwise. Find where they were watering and track from there. Pigs smell, you can find them if you just follow your nose.

If you a fast, confident and ready, use a knife or spear. Give yourself a little middle-ages thrill. Good luck with that.Seen it done... just looks unnecessary to me. I have some friends that like to chase the littler pigs and tackle them for fun. Country boys did not have much entertainement before dial up.

In Texas you can hunt javelina, a smaller breed wild pig. Perfect hunting with a 9mm.

some initial thoughts.... Leth is 100% on. Driving distances are different for different people... 4 hrs or 14 hrs. S. Carolina might be closest, Ga next.

Some experience from hog hunts I have been on in S. Georgia when I lived in Atlanta. I have been 4 times, I have taken 2, one was 125# and the other 160#. Truly wild pics are smaller usually, it is the hybrid pigs that get friggin huge. Seen a few, but did not want to hunt them with a handgun. A 300# pig needs to be shot with a hipower rifle or slug gun in my opinion. Never been to a preserve, had friends with hunting property or farms. Both were taken with a Glock 20 with standard barrel. Use high quality hunting ammo, buffalo bore or cor-bon. With a handgun you are going to want to be 30yards or less. Both mine were taken under 20 yards. Water is very important to you and the pigs. Take a good amount with you, travel light otherwise. Find where they were watering and track from there. Pigs smell, you can find them if you just follow your nose.

If you a fast, confident and ready, use a knife or spear. Give yourself a little middle-ages thrill. Good luck with that.Seen it done... just looks unnecessary to me. I have some friends that like to chase the littler pigs and tackle them for fun. Country boys did not have much entertainement before dial up.

In Texas you can hunt javelina, a smaller breed wild pig. Perfect hunting with a 9mm.

Phenomenal advice, axeman - just the kind of input we need! Are you coming with us?

IMHO: Driving distance is somewhere we can get to within one day, I am thinking specifically North Carolina, northern South Carolina, Eastern Tennessee.

We should also discuss the hunting technique (Stand vs Stalk.)

I am a fan of stand hunting, with 2 bad feet and ankles I'm not much for stalking around the woods.

How many Days do we want to go for?

If were driving to TN, NC, SC, GA, etc... I'm interested in a 2 day trip with a 1 night stay.

I have looked at a few places, emailed some of them and received some information. I'll wrap it up and keep it simple. These are just ideas, please add more and share insights.

Cribbs Creek Outfitters, Polkton, NC (10 hour drive from Philly Area) Stand Hunting. 2 day hunt with 1 night 425/person, show up early and stay the first night is 500/ person. lodging and food included. They offer a night vision hunt for 575. no additional fees for game prep or storage.

Side note about this place: he returned my emails within minutes and was very helpful. I like what I see.

Hog Heaven Outfitters, Johnston County, NC (8 hours from philly) Stand Hunting. 700 for 2 days provided we get 4+ people. lodging and food included. Theu quarted and store game for 40-50/animal/day depending on size.

Caryonah Hunting Lodge, Crossville, TN, (12 hours from philly) [this reaches the edge of what I consider drivable]

Stalk hunting with provided dogs and guides. 2 days/2 nights lodging and food, no additional fees. 825/person. Group rates are available but they need to be contacted with the dates and number in the party before commiting to a group rate.

I have looked at reviews for the above and all have good reviews.

Please share your thoughts.

OK Here's the Deal!!! #1 I'll back up anybody that wants to be sporting with a 12ga slug gun, Yes you need back up.

#2 I'll put together a 10mm Glock with extended barrel if somebody wants to go that way.

I have family near Atlanta and if south Georgia is the venue I can meet folks down there.

I drive because I don't like to fly, so where is no issue for me.

when are we looking to do this? I have a buddy I work with and he said that this time of the year the wild boar get parasites and crap that is was better to hunt them in the winter. Any truth?

I can't go anywhere but locally from August to September because of possible strike work but after that I am okay. I would like to go October or November personally.

when are we looking to do this? I have a buddy I work with and he said that this time of the year the wild boar get parasites and crap that is was better to hunt them in the winter. Any truth?

yes there is truth to this. Parasites and ticks. Also depending on the area the snakes are out. The cooler weather is better.

Also, if we plan on a late October/early November trip it would give me (and probably others) time to save the money and make the appropriate arrangements for work and family. Just my 2 cents.

Why do keyboards have a dollar sign but not a cent sign?

yes there is truth to this. Parasites and ticks. Also depending on the area the snakes are out. The cooler weather is better.

Also, if we plan on a late October/early November trip it would give me (and probably others) time to save the money and make the appropriate arrangements for work and family. Just my 2 cents.

Why do keyboards have a dollar sign but not a cent sign?

The later the better. A frost preferably, so late. Depending where you go cotton mouths are around until the frost.

I work with a bunch of guys in LA that pay, yes PAY to have people hog hunt down here. They destroy the crops and are a pest. If anyone is interested in going I can talk to some guys and maybe we can do a trip for free.