82ndAbnRVN

Let's Go Hog Hunting!

I work with a bunch of guys in LA that pay, yes PAY to have people hog hunt down here. They destroy the crops and are a pest. If anyone is interested in going I can talk to some guys and maybe we can do a trip for free.

And you post this for everyone to see before you tell me? Some friend. :rolleyes:

-Hater

I'm in, also. usnmars - by LA do you mean 'Lower Alabama'?

OK, it looks like we're looking at a Fall trip within driving distance (that Texas trip sure looks sweet, but would be too long of a drive for most). MedicYeti has done the hard work of identifying possible sites. Old School has identified a potential meet-up location. We need someone to coordinate the driving/carpooling and someone to take responsibility for checking out local laws and gun transport. I can provide my PayPal account for anyone who wants to pay by credit card who needs that option if we're going to pay as a group. The next step should be to have a sit-down to work out details and responsivilities. I hope that Ray Ray joins in - I hear he has experience with hunting pigs of the evening; maybe he could suggest a location to for us to meet and plan. :p

If all works out well, we could be looking at an annual trip.

PS: I plan on bringing an AR-10 and a P229R .357Sig.

I'm in, also. usnmars - by LA do you mean 'Lower Alabama'?

OK, it looks like we're looking at a Fall trip within driving distance (that Texas trip sure looks sweet, but would be too long of a drive for most). MedicYeti has done the hard work of identifying possible sites. Old School has identified a potential meet-up location. We need someone to coordinate the driving/carpooling and someone to take responsibility for checking out local laws and gun transport. I can provide my PayPal account for anyone who wants to pay by credit card who needs that option if we're going to pay as a group. The next step should be to have a sit-down to work out details and responsivilities. I hope that Ray Ray joins in - I hear he has experience with hunting pigs of the evening; maybe he could suggest a location to for us to meet and plan. :p

If all works out well, we could be looking at an annual trip.

Louisiana. I can probably provide transportation for one other person... I like to take the fast car when traveling long distances...

Louisiana. I can probably provide transportation for one other person... I like to take the fast car when traveling long distances...

By car if you don't mind a long day in the seat you can do it in one day, heck I have made it in a day and a half on a bike before, but I like traveling on bikes and cars.

Harry

By car if you don't mind a long day in the seat you can do it in one day, heck I have made it in a day and a half on a bike before, but I like traveling on bikes and cars.

Harry

Yea, I've done NOLA in one day.

Are you in?

Not at this time, I get my one 7 to 14 day trip a year I take on the bike a year and did that already and do that each year. I only do that one by myself each year but do another 5 or 6 vacations each year with the family and we are already booked up for the remainder of this year and while I'd like a few more weeks of vacation others think differently. <G>

Harry

I'm interested.

I work with a bunch of guys in LA that pay, yes PAY to have people hog hunt down here. They destroy the crops and are a pest. If anyone is interested in going I can talk to some guys and maybe we can do a trip for free.

Please do Bob.

Let me see how my finances lay out, I might be in.

Worries about the south, I will throw some common sense stuff at you I learned living down there... I see you guys talking about pest and parasites. Where you are going they will be there most of the year. The ticks are not as bad there as they are here for people, but the animals will be covered and skinning and butchering will take care of most. You will need full length hunting gear, DEET covered beforehand, and some scent free bug lotions for you exposed parts. A hat with a net might be helpful in boggy areas, but get used to the idea of bugs, spiders etc etc. It is the south, and if you are any sort of bug freak... you are in trouble on this trip.

Snakes... yep. Cotton mouths in ponds and streams. They are not as aggressive in wooded areas as swampy... they nest in swampy areas and that makes them very aggressive. One chased me about 200 yards down a dirt road one day while backpacking on Cumberland Island. Now lets talk Eastern Diamondbacks and Coral Snakes. Corals are actually the most dangerous of the two because they dont let you know they are there, are more venomous, are more scared of humans meaning they bite from fear more and just so happen to like the same flooded bottom lands that pigs like during the day. Biggest issue with corals is that there is no ready supply of coral antivenom, so few people get bit the antivenom producers dont sweat it. So, you chances of being bit by a coral are few, but if you do.... Diamondbacks are usually found in the sandy areas along forest lines, they like to sun themselves, then hunt the fringe were most varmints liar. So you will encounter them within 20 yards outside and inside a treeline. They will let you know they are there, and when you are finished pissing yourself, you can usually move away in the opposite direction. Make sure you know where he is before you jump, you dont want to land closer. Stay away from tortoise liars, diamonbacks and tortoises like to cohabitate, snake just moves in and the tortoise lets it happen because they snake does not want to eat it. If you come across a tortoise hole area... move slowly and keep your eyes open. You will not spot a diamondback unless it moves, their camo is that good.

Bubba's... only worry about them if you hit on their women or insult their dogs. Do not try to impress a country boy, you cant. They dont care. You are in their turf and they have forgotten more about the woods then you will ever know living where we do. But remember this, if you ever get them on your turf they are going to be babies... But listen to them, follow their instructions and advice.

Is that SIG going to be backup only? I hope so, I dont know if that round has the mass to open big wounds... penetration yes, but I instantly worried about deflection off bone in a boar. I am going to look into it.... interesting.

From Buffalo Bore...

Not bad, but a 125gr bullet is a little light in the a**. Nice anti personel numbers though.

Heavy 357 Sig. Low Flash Pistol and Handgun Ammo - 125 gr. FMJ-FN (1,425fps/M.E. 564 ft. lbs.)

Better then a 9mm+p+....

9mm +P+ PENETRATOR 124gr. FMJ-FN (1,300 fps/M.E. 465 ft. lbs.)

I was even thinking that you might want to slap a .40s&w barrel in there but...

Heavy .40 Smith & Wesson +P Ammo - 180 gr. F.M.J. (1,100 fps/M.E. 484 ft. lbs.)

This is what I used on my two pigs

Heavy 10mm Ammo - 220 gr. Hard Cast - FN (1,200 fps/ME 703 ft. lbs.)

Both shots were full broadside or slight broadside. The first went right through the shoulder and took out the boars heart. Died instantly. The second was a shot from behind, 3/4 broadside and higher then I wanted. Shot through the lungs and out the neck, pig ran about 20 yards before falling over and bleeding out. Shots were within 20yards.

Pigs are very dense, armored and muscled. What load are you thinking about bringing??? Not trying to bust stones... I honestly want to learn more as I have always thought the .357sig round was interesting. I wish someone would make a carbine in that caliber.

Tioga Boar Ranch in Tioga PA. 4 of us went, 4 of use took boar ranging from 150 pounds to 180 pounds. Cost was $700 per person, which included 2 days 1 night, two meals, all gutting, cutting up and processing and put on ice in your cooler. I have more meat than I can fit in my freezer. Acommodations are typical rustic hunting camp, 3 bunk rooms 4-6 bunks per room 1 full 1 half bath, full kitchen and dining room. Food was good. The hunting is outstanding.My 27 year old daughter dropped a 160# boar at 80 yards with my Stag model 6 in 5.56. 70 grain soft point dropped it in it's tracks. 28 year old son dropped a 150# boar at 70 yards with a 30-30, too much gun, wastes too much meat. Daughter's boy friend dropped a 180 pounder at 20' with head shot straight on, with the Stag. I dropped a 160# at 100 yards with a Remington 300 Ultra Mag. Way to much gun. 5.56 is perfect. All 4 of us were first time boar hunters. I have hunted off and on for 35 years, first time hunting at all for the other three. If you can afford the cost do it. You will not be disappointed. Great way to introduce new hunters to the sport, as it provides instant rewards. Great way to spend a weekend with you kids. 5 hour ride from South Jersey, not bad at all. No experience needed, guides are great. If you want, they will let you gut the hog. Try it you will like it.