xm177e2687

Sayreville sportsman.. lousy experience

That sentence has one fatal flaw in terms of running a business. If it is a pain to deal with an inquisitive customer, then your customer service sucks and it will show. There are a few shops that have been talked about at length which will bend over backwards, not just to make a sale, but to inform and satisfy a customer. I can spend my money anywhere I want, and few people spend it where they are viewed as an annoyance.

That one sentence is MY FEELING, and IN NO WAY is reflected by anyone working there to ANY customer! It was said with a touch of sarcasm that can't be interpreted over this medium. Also please consider the context, with me being an old Fudd, because we do tend to think different than some of the newer members of the shooting community. As a Fudd, I almost never walk-out of the store empty-handed, out of respect for the people working there. Since I'm "into" so many diverse shooting disciplines, there's always SOMETHING that I can purchase, from shotgun supplies to black powder percussion caps, or just a bottle of cleaning fluid. I'll admit that I'm "wired" a little different than some of you younger guys and this area (Gun Shops) is one of those situations where our mindsets are somewhat askew. This is a very "touchy subject" (sweatty hands customer service) and has been thoroughly covered in other posts in various threads including this one, but I will say this: I've witnessed only one occaision where someone was denied a look-see at every hand gun in the cases. The guy was a little "off" and seemed like he had missed some meds, so that was O-K by me.....

Here's an example of something that actually happened to me at ANOTHER Gun Shop:

I needed to meet with a client to make a delivery. So I drove down to his area. We made the delivery and I mentioned I'd never been to So-and-so's. He gave me directions and I went to visit just to see the place, NOT buy a gun or go shooting. Since you guys chat here about this place all of the time, I wanted to see for myself what the operation looked like. The place was swamped with customers, lots of hand prints and drool all over the glass cases. People walking gun cases in and out of the range so often, you might as well have taken the range door off it's hinges for all the good it did to cut-down the noise. In looking around for SOMETHING to buy, I found a bottle of oil from a stand-up display that I had been looking for, and went with said bottle in-hand to try to pay for it. After ten full minutes and several people cutting in front of me to use the indoor range, I put the bottle back on the display rack and left. Never was asked what I wanted or greeted in any way by anyone there. As if I didn't exist. NOT an enjoyable experience, especially for an old Fudd. So I'm very comfortable with being greeted by friendly faces......

I definitely see the appeal for a "neighborhood shop" and there should absolutely be a relationship garnered. I'm just saying these walk ins who oogle and fondle the guns should receive the same treatment as the guys who walk in once or twice a week. Its how they bring people back.

Personally I've never been to SS so I was speaking generally. But I have gotten that annoyance feeling from a few places in nj. Seems like a recurring themes

I've been to SS several times to browse around. No one has acted impolite towards me, more like an aloofness. I'm not there to make friends so it's not an issue for me. Recently Joe, who happens to be a member of OBRPC, gave me a price on a new S&W at $10 over list price. I didn't get into a debate with him, I said thanks and left. Leaving without a purchase is the best message to give a shop owner.

All the reasons mentioned are why I love my shop. Very friendly environment, no rushing, no attitude. You can hang out and talk. A lot of regulars at this place who have been going for a long time. I always find their prices competitive and they have a lot in stock. I had an issue with a gun I bought, told them and it was handled within 2 weeks. No hassle to me. I have agreat relationship with them and refer all my friends and other shooters to them. They have been there for a long time and have no shortage of business. Every time I go there it's packed. No Offenseto sponsors here but I have no reason to go elsewhere. Why change a good thing

All the reasons mentioned are why I love my shop. Very friendly environment, no rushing, no attitude. You can hang out and talk. A lot of regulars at this place who have been going for a long time. I always find their prices competitive and they have a lot in stock. I had an issue with a gun I bought, told them and it was handled within 2 weeks. No hassle to me. I have agreat relationship with them and refer all my friends and other shooters to them. They have been there for a long time and have no shortage of business. Every time I go there it's packed. No Offenseto sponsors here but I have no reason to go elsewhere. Why change a good thing

Exactly, while I not out to pursue a bromance while shopping for a firearm,I would like it to be similar to a visit to one of my favorite restaurants.Greet me,tell me the specials,give me some advice on what's good today,serve me efficiently,don't hang over my shoulder,charge me a fair price and not only will I return but I'll tell all my friends. Yeah I know a gun shop is not a restaurant and has it's own unique challenges but customer service is the same regardless of what you're selling.

If I value you,your business,your integrity and you respect me as someone that will spend not an insignificant amount of money in your store,I have no problem with you charging more.But charge me more for the privilege to treat me like shit?and you can go fugg yourself.

Been in there a few times. Never had any problems.

When walking into a gun store in NJ you should expect the same treatment as some dirty shithole bar. Crappy service and ignorance.

If there isn't a disinterested lazy salesman behind the counter, itll be a nice guy who doesnt know anything.

I too have had bad times there recently.

First, their prices are insane. Second, I feel like I am interrupting social hour and was told by one of his friends/ helpers? that "if you shoot someone with a .380, it will only piss them off"!!!.

He cant be bothered to show me more then one or two handguns, despite me having permits in hand.Too busy even though I am the only customer.

Just general rudeness and gun shop commando syndrome.

Here is the best: He told me that an FFL CANNOT accept a firearm shipped from a private party. When I twisted his arm on it, he addmitted that he could but simply did not want to, so he blatantly lied to me. Not going back.

Good luck.. I doubt that shop will ever sell a LPK for what they are asking. LPKs can be had for less than 40 bucks. I think they also had a stripped AR lower in the case for something like 400 bucks :sarcastichand:

Please share this little treasure with us! I haven't seen it.

I live in sayreville too. In my experience its lime the soup nazi. If you know directly what you need and dont small talk you get what you need. I have even gotten a fire dept discount. If you dont know or want to talk NEXT lol

Been in there a few times. Never had any problems.

When walking into a gun store in NJ you should expect the same treatment as some dirty shithole bar. Crappy service and ignorance.

If there isn't a disinterested lazy salesman behind the counter, itll be a nice guy who doesnt know anything.

Most of the guys over at Brick Armory are nice and reasonably knowledgeable. They don't know everything about everything, but good enough. They just need a much better selection of firearms and ammo with more reasonable prices on the ammo. (gun prices when they have them are actually within the realm of reasonableness)

They annoy me for other reasons :p . I think the range should be run tighter, but that's my opinion not everyone's.