gunnarsport

transport question

Hi,

I will be picking up my first firearm from my FFL (S&W Model 617 4" .22rl) on Saturday morning and have a question about the proper credentials for transport in car.

Is all I need to carry is my FID card in the car, or also my copy of the permit? I wanna be sure I follow the letter of the law! I was just on the NJ State

Police site, but could not find this information.

Thanks

Just drive straight home will it in your trunk or separate locked container away separate from ammo and have all paperwork from purchase and your good.

On a side note I make copies and.keep them in range bag for every firearm I own as well as a copy of fid and typically have fid in my wallet

Im pretty sure i know the answers, but......Out of curiosity, is it the LAW that firearms HAVE to be locked? ie: trigger lock, slide lock, etc

&&

and how is separate container interpreted ? If I have a range bag with two separate pockets, firearm in one, and ammo in the other pocket, but essentially in the same bag... legal ?

Hi,

I will be picking up my first firearm from my FFL (S&W Model 617 4" .22rl) on Saturday morning and have a question about the proper credentials for transport in car.

Is all I need to carry is my FID card in the car, or also my copy of the permit? I wanna be sure I follow the letter of the law! I was just on the NJ State

Police site, but could not find this information.

Thanks

There is no paperwork required to transport a handgun if you are within the allowable exemptions. These exemptions are: Travel to and from a range, a gun smith, a business you own, hunting or your home. Transport must be direct, deviations only as necessary. You need gas, someone is injured going to hospital, etc. Stopping for lunch inside, sitting down, is probably not defensible but the Drive-through might be ok....you need to maintain your blood sugar.

A Firearms Purchaser ID does not permit you to have a handgun anywhere. It allows you to buy long guns or ammunition for handguns. It is meaningless as far as possession of handguns. There is a benefit of handing a Firearms Purchaser ID to a LEO. They know you've gone through a background check and have an SBI number(state bureau of investigation). If you have a handgun anywhere not listed above, the firearms purchaser ID won't prevent your arrest and detainment.

Having the purchase permits goes towards legal ownership. That said, having a handgun outside of the listed exemptions above is illegal and the purchaser permit does nothing to alleviate your legal culpability.

No, no trigger lock, just stored in truck, UNLOADED, and any ammo in locked container, in a separate location.

But again, my question is about what credentials are required in NJ for transport??

Just drive straight home will it in your trunk or separate locked container away separate from ammo and have all paperwork from purchase and your good.

On a side note I make copies and.keep them in range bag for every firearm I own as well as a copy of fid and typically have fid in my wallet

I am pretty sure i read somewhere that making copies of fid is not legal. The same as some other gov documents unless you have permission to do so.

Thats interesting...so I dont need my FID card, or copy of the permit?? If I am ever stopped by LEO, how do I prove to them I own the gun legally without any credentials? You sure thats correct?

I'm absolutely certain it is correct.

There is no way for an officer on the side of the road to make a determination if your paperwork is real or forged.

What he can do is assess your situation, determine if you are within the allowable exemptions and either detain you or let you go. Having a Firearms PURCHASER ID goes a long way towards you being a good guy but it does not make an illegal situation legal.

If you are within the stated exemptions, you should be let on your way. If the officer has reason to suspect you have firearms outside of the state exemptions or not for a legal purpose, your Long gun firearms Purchaser ID and your pistol purchase permits won't change that one bit.

There is no paperwork required to transport a handgun if you are within the allowable exemptions. These exemptions are: Travel to and from a range, a gun smith, a business you own, hunting or your home. Transport must be direct, deviations only as necessary. You need gas, someone is injured going to hospital, etc. Stopping for lunch inside, sitting down, is probably not defensible but the Drive-through might be ok....you need to maintain your blood sugar.

A Firearms Purchaser ID does not permit you to have a handgun anywhere. It allows you to buy long guns or ammunition for handguns. It is meaningless as far as possession of handguns. There is a benefit of handing a Firearms Purchaser ID to a LEO. They know you've gone through a background check and have an SBI number(state bureau of investigation). If you have a handgun anywhere not listed above, the firearms purchaser ID won't prevent your arrest and detainment.

Having the purchase permits goes towards legal ownership. That said, having a handgun outside of the listed exemptions above is illegal and the purchaser permit does nothing to alleviate your legal culpability.

Well said,

Also, there is no requirement the ammo needs to be stored separate from the firearm, only that the firearm is unloaded. Dealers are required to deliver a firearm to you unloaded, wrapped or cased separate from the ammo - which is probably where this myth comes from.

No, no trigger lock, just stored in truck, UNLOADED, and any ammo in locked container, in a separate location.

But again, my question is about what credentials are required in NJ for transport??

Lets just say, Unloaded in a locked trunk, your range bag does not need to be locked, however if you have a vehicle with a single compartment and no trunk then yes in a locked case or bag.

Also Ammo doesn't need to be in a locked container.

As far as credentials, if your driving you Drivers License is a must, but for the firearm you can but it's not needed a FID card. You can add in copies of your P2P's if you like if that makes you feel good but also not needed. There is one caveat, you will need you FID card to purchase Pistol ammo in NJ.

Harry

I can see why this question is asked a lot. It is because people hear and are told the WRONG thing all the time.

FID or FPID or P2P or any of that stuff called whatever you want to call it, not needed for transportation, ever. Don't even bother worrying about whether or not you have that stuff with you.

Ammo separate from firearm, not a requirement. You have your pistol in a bag next to your ammo, and it is all locked in your trunk? You are fine. You have your gun and ammo locked in a case in the back of your SUV because you have no lockable trunk? You are fine.

Here are the things to concern yourself with.

Is the gun unloaded?

Is the gun either locked in your trunk or in a closed and fastened case or securely tied package?

If it is, you are following the law.

All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

Of course this is all assuming you are following the subsections mentioned, which deal with where you are transporting the firearms.

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_ag2.html

http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=27281421&Depth=4&TD=WRAP&advquery=2C%3a39-1%20%20Definitions&headingswithhits=on&infobase=statutes.nfo&rank=&record={1A38}&softpage=Doc_Frame_Pg42&wordsaroundhits=2&x=34&y=12&zz=

I can see why this question is asked a lot. It is because people hear and are told the WRONG thing all the time.

FID or FPID or P2P or any of that stuff called whatever you want to call it, not needed for transportation, ever. Don't even bother worrying about whether or not you have that stuff with you.

Ammo separate from firearm, not a requirement. You have your pistol in a bag next to your ammo, and it is all locked in your trunk? You are fine. You have your gun and ammo locked in a case in the back of your SUV because you have no lockable trunk? You are fine.

Here are the things to concern yourself with.

Is the gun unloaded?

Is the gun either locked in your trunk or in a closed and fastened case or securely tied package?

If it is, you are following the law.

Of course this is all assuming you are following the subsections mentioned, which deal with where you are transporting the firearms.

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_ag2.html

http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=27281421&Depth=4&TD=WRAP&advquery=2C%3a39-1%20%20Definitions&headingswithhits=on&infobase=statutes.nfo&rank=&record={1A38}&softpage=Doc_Frame_Pg42&wordsaroundhits=2&x=34&y=12&zz=

This seems to be quite a confusing subject. As we have discussed, LEO's often don't get it right; and even among our group, which is far more knowledgeable about these things than most, our answers on this thread are all over the board.

A common misconception seems to be that if firearms are transported in an SUV or similar vehicle with a storage area not separate from the passenger compartment, that the firearms must be stored in locked boxes. In fact, as Bonesinium notes, they

need to be "... carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, OR locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported..." I suppose that having the gun in a locked case would help in the event that one encountered an overzealous LEO. On the other hand, the standard the we need to meet should be what is required by law, not what is likely to satisfy the least knowledgeable LEO.

I can't believe the difficulty of a seemingly simple thing--my friends in other states wonder why I have to go to a range all the time when they can just shoot in their back yard.

I have two additional questions:

Can I legally transport a firearm to/from range by bicycle, as long as it is secured IAW NJ statute?

Can I transport a loaded magazine, as long as it is removed from the firearm and secured with the rest of my ammo, or is that considered a loaded firearm?