What is the current (July 2011) maximum capacity for magazines in, NJ?

The firearm I am most likely to purchase in the near future has the option of either 10 rd or 12 rd magazines. I have read the NRA summary of NJ Firearm Laws, the actual legislation, and numerous posts on this and other forums regarding this answer. I have concluded that in NJ any handgun or semi-auto rifle can have a maximum magazine capacity of 15.

Here's where things get interesting, I have 2 buddies at work, who know LEOs and upon questioning the law being 10 rd or 15 rd capacity, my buddies texted the two LEOs. Both stated (via txt message) that the maximum capacity is 10 rds.

Is this just the LEOs trying to push lower capacity mags to the layman or has the bill I read about HERE been passed.

Also correct me if Im wrong but wouldn't an FFL know the law exactly and refuse to sell a firearm that has 2 x 12 rd magazines?

thanks! J

Here's where things get interesting, I have 2 buddies at work, who know LEOs and upon questioning the law being 10 rd or 15 rd capacity, my buddies texted the two LEOs. Both stated (via txt message) that the maximum capacity is 10 rds.

Wrong, 15 is the limit.

Harry

2C:39-3(j)tab.gifAny person who knowingly has in his possession a large capacity ammunition magazine is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree unless the person has registered an assault firearm pursuant to section 11 of P.L.1990, c.32 (C.2C:58-12) and the magazine is maintained and used in connection with participation in competitive shooting matches sanctioned by the Director of Civilian Marksmanship of the United States Department of the Army.

And just so there is no confusion, here's the definition of a "large capacity ammunition magazine" from the statutes...

2C39-1(y)tab.gif"Large capacity ammunition magazine" means a box, drum, tube or other container which is capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm.

Hope that clears things up for you. As was pointed out, the police are the last people you want to get legal advice from.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

2C39-1(y)tab.gif"Large capacity ammunition magazine" means a box, drum, tube or other container which is capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm.

has anyone dug into that exact wording? technically, wouldn't a 30 rnd magazine with something in the middle to force racking the slide be allowed via the use of "continuously"?

Both LEO's are morons and are too stupid to be in LE. They are a danger to all of us.

• Like 4

has anyone dug into that exact wording? technically, wouldn't a 30 rnd magazine with something in the middle to force racking the slide be allowed via the use of "continuously"?

If the mag fits into any semi auto and has a capacity in excess of 15 rounds, it is illegal

You could argue that, but you would almost surely lose that battle. If it is capable, whether or not it is capable at that time, to hold and feed more than 15 rounds, it is "large capacity". Even if it was permanently designed to do so (though I have never seen such a thing) I would bet you would still feel the strong arm of NJ up your..

Either way, if you want to both design such a magazine, and test your luck, you can. Unfortunately NJ has a way about interpreting laws and statues in a way to screw you over, even if you are right...

So technically, you are probably right. But in actuality, it is doubtful you are.

As a general rule, anything you hear from a LEO, or from anybody at a gun shop or range is going to be flat out wrong.

There's a "General Rule" about Opinions and blanket statements too.

Guess i'll stop posting or answering anyone's questions since according to you i'm flat out wrong 100% of the time.

use a mag coupler.. they are legal.. and work almost as you describe.. just gotta handle the mag for a fraction of a second..

The firearm I am most likely to purchase in the near future has the option of either 10 rd or 12 rd magazines. I have read the NRA summary of NJ Firearm Laws, the actual legislation, and numerous posts on this and other forums regarding this answer. I have concluded that in NJ any handgun or semi-auto rifle can have a maximum magazine capacity of 15.

Is this just the LEOs trying to push lower capacity mags to the layman or has the bill I read about HERE been passed.

Also correct me if Im wrong but wouldn't an FFL know the law exactly and refuse to sell a firearm that has 2 x 12 rd magazines?

thanks! J

Getting legal advice that if wrong can land you in jail from a TEXT message???

2C:39-3(j)tab.gifAny person who knowingly has in his possession a large capacity ammunition magazine is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree unless the person has registered an assault firearm pursuant to section 11 of P.L.1990, c.32 (C.2C:58-12) and the magazine is maintained and used in connection with participation in competitive shooting matches sanctioned by the Director of Civilian Marksmanship of the United States Department of the Army.

And just so there is no confusion, here's the definition of a "large capacity ammunition magazine" from the statutes...

Hope that clears things up for you. As was pointed out, the police are the last people you want to get legal advice from.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

^^^^ In God we trust. All others bring data.

There's a "General Rule" about Opinions and blanket statements too.

Guess i'll stop posting or answering anyone's questions since according to you i'm flat out wrong 100% of the time.

Sad to say Pipes that you are one of the few whom apparently that take the time to look something up instead of 'just knowing the law' The detective in my town 'knows' he can't get access to my mental health records without making me fill out an information waiver. Funny since I got my permits just fine last time without signing it.

The detective in my town 'knows' he can't get access to my mental health records without making me fill out an information waiver. Funny since I got my permits just fine last time without signing it.

Your detective is correct. Transmission of those records is protected under HIPAA, so they would have to have a release. You may have received your permits, but either they didn't do a mental health background check, or someone forged your name.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Well, I guess this means my Buddy's 22 semiauto rifle with the fixed tube loader that holds 20 rounds or less is illegal. HHhhmmm

Well, I guess this means my Buddy's 22 semiauto rifle with the fixed tube loader that holds 20 rounds or less is illegal. HHhhmmm

Correct. IIRC someone was prosecuted in NJ for having a Marlin model 60 that accepted 16rounds of .22 shorts.

thanks! J

This issue is where people can't see the 'forest for the trees'. So the the max mag cap is 2, 12, 15, 147 or as they say WHATEVER. Here is the point. The cops don't know the law.

Thank you.

Incorrect... Fixed or detachable doesn't matter. If it's on a semi-automatic firearm the limit is 15 rounds.

Ok that makes sense then. hard to remember all the friggen details, a lever action that can hold more then 15 w/ fixed tube would be legal tho correct?