Cemeterys Gun Blob

ALERT: ****CASH FOR CLUNKERS****

Just got back from the cash-for-clunkers in Jersey City with $100 in my pocket and a smile on my face.

Tomorrow, I’m picking up my brand new replacement rifle, courtesy of Mayor Healy!

I had an old Marlin Glenfield 25 .22 bolt action rifle that I bought used for $100 some time ago. The magazine catch was always problematic, and the safety catch no longer worked. Definitely not something I could sell in good conscious to another shooter, particularly with a faulty safety.

Great timing! I stripped off anything I could sell separately; scope, mounts, magazine, bolt and sling swivels. Drove the 5 minutes from my house to the church whose basement was being used for the handover.

I walked into the basement with my stripped rifle in two garbage bags and secured with a trigger lock. There were about 5 plain-clothes cops there (very nice guys) and the Mayor of JC.

The Mayor said hello to everyone and left, so I handed the bagged rifle to one of the officers. He took it out of the bags, checked to make sure it was empty (they use a garbage bin full of sand while checking for clear) and then put a zip lock through the breach. They noted the rifle’s manufacturer, model, caliber and serial number, and then gave me $100 cash.

It’s all very civil, and the whole process took 10 minutes. There is no asking of names, or where you got the firearm from. There was also no judgement on the fact that I was handing in a rifle that was definitely worth less than $100 and didn’t have a bolt or magazine.

I asked whether they accepted BB guns, and they said they accept them but don’t pay anything for them. I guess BB guns are only classified as a firearm when it suits NJ...

BTW - I went armed with a couple of hundred cash and some Certificates of Eligibility in case I bumped into anyone handing over the Garand or Winchester they had in the back of their closet, but I was the only one handing anything over.

It’s very nice of the Mayor to assist the shooting sports like this. I’ll be picking up a replacement Marlin bolt action from Dick’s on the way back from CJRPC tomorrow. I’ll also be putting the magazine, bolt, etc on GunBroker so they go to a good home.

Special thanks to Cemetery's Gun Blob and NJGunForums for bringing this opportunity to my attention.

Cheers!

Hmmm i have a crappy pot-metal .22 i bought about 22 years ago that has never shot a full magazine without a FTF or FTE...this has potential methinks

Definitely. Replace that clunker with something you can get some use out of.

Got $300 cash today from Jersey City. Traded in 2 old, broken, and rusted guns. They had to call the ESU to make the Taurus safe. It was rusted shut. Couldn’t take the mag out even. The officer did not know how to work the single action, I had to show him. Took the wife to dinner, got some ammo, and took the mistress out for ice cream. Good day.

I heard them talking about a guy from hunterton county that tried to bring in 15 rifles. They said no to him because he told them where he was from.

We should send Mayor Healy a nice letter, and bottle of Irish Whiskey, thanking him for being so thoughtful and supportive of the shooting sports, since now a number NJ gun owners can now obtain a higher caliber of firearms, all due to his rebates.

We should send Mayor Healy a nice letter, and bottle of Irish Whiskey, thanking him for being so thoughtful and supportive of the shooting sports, since now a number NJ gun owners can now obtain a higher caliber of firearms, all due to his rebates.

I think this is an excellent idea.

So did anybody see anything cool?

I saw two cap and ball revolvers, a .22 Deringer, what looked like a cheap .38 revolver and a shotgun Duck taped together. It all looked like junk. People aren't stupid, they only sell guns worth much less than $150. I heard a womam staff member say a few people dropped off guns and walked away without taking cash. Maybe they were ditching some really hot guns.

Thank you Mayor Healy, I sold two guns, a broken and rusty Pistolet Automatique and a rusty Astra Ucenta that I wouldn't shoot on a dare. Got $300 for a new Bersa Thunder.

Skip the booze. He has problems with it. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/23/nyregion/23mayor.html

I saw two cap and ball revolvers, a .22 Deringer, what looked like a cheap .38 revolver and a shotgun Duck taped together. It all looked like junk. People aren't stupid, they only sell guns worth much less than $150. I heard a womam staff member say a few people dropped off guns and walked away without taking cash. Maybe they were ditching some really hot guns.

Thank you Mayor Healy, I sold two guns, a broken and rusty Pistolet Automatique and a rusty Astra Ucenta that I wouldn't shoot on a dare. Got $300 for a new Bersa Thunder.

Some of those sound familar! Right Bry, wink wink!

I was turned away. An officer came out to my car. Looked at it, asked me where I was from, asked to see my guns, shook his head and told me to go back home as, "this is for JC residents only!".

Next Saturday, go to a different location and try again, and say nothing of where you're from, and remove any identifying information from your car. If you have more than an armful, bring someone along to help.

Jersey Joe and Col. Mortimer - you guys got stones. I would never consider crashing a party like that for real in NJ. Bravo! :D

Then what do me and Cemetary have? We crashed and Cemetary was offering to buy someone else's clunker!

I went with my friend who had a broken POS 1960's S&W shotgun.

Turned it in, and on my way out saw a guy walking in with a plastic shoopping bag heavily weighted down. I stopped him in front of the door, said I was a legal buyer and that I will pay him $160 for each handgun if I liked them. There was a nice colt .38 snubby and some sort of break top .38 S&W. NO VALID PISTOL PERMITS ON HAND JUST A COE UGH. I asked to see them and he just whips them out right on the street I almost shat myself. I declined, shoulda left him my contact info and offered to meet up some other time. Wow I really screwed that one up :(