alec.mc

Prvi Partizan brass for reloading?

I recently started collecting all my used brass @ the range for when I decide to start reloading ( i figure once i have 1500-2000 of each of my main calibers i'll start to reload them )

I am interested in picking up some Prvi Partizan 38 Special for my ruger gp100 and was wondering If this would be a good option to buy and shoot, then save them and reload them X amount of times. ( I can buy a loaded box of 1000 for 270 : https://www.targetsportsusa.com/p-941-prvi-partizan-38-special-158-grain-lead-round-nose-ammunition.aspx )

Some online reviews say they are great, some others say they are brittle for reloading, -- Has anybody here had first hand experience with Prvi Partizan for reloading?

Should I spend a few more bucks on some 'higher quality/more expensive' rounds to shoot and save to save a headache while reloading in the future?

Thanks

-Alec

Starline is the best bang for the buck if you are determined on buying new brass. Revolver brass is the only brass I would buy new though, because its so easy to not lose it, it lasts SUPER long in .38, and because you can keep track easier of firings (you just take it out of the box, fire it, place it right back in).

For anything else, dont bother.

To more directly respond to your question, it works. I dont have any specific opinion. But like I said, if buying new, just get starline

Starline is the best bang for the buck if you are determined on buying new brass. Revolver brass is the only brass I would buy new though, because its so easy to not lose it, it lasts SUPER long in .38, and because you can keep track easier of firings (you just take it out of the box, fire it, place it right back in).

For anything else, dont bother.

To more directly respond to your question, it works. I dont have any specific opinion. But like I said, if buying new, just get starline

Looks like starline just sells brass casings eh? I figure i'd be more worth my while to buy already loaded ready to fire rounds, shoot them off, and put them right back into the box to add to the used collection, like you said.

I have some big gallon zip lock bags of 9mm, 38spl and .357 mag

What I meant to say is that I dont mind having to spend an extra 40-60 bucks on better quality ammo like PMC or Federal to get more life out of my brass once I fire it off and save it for reloading.

I didnt crunch the math much yet, - as I dont own any reloading equipment at the moment. I figure having the 1000 rounds ready to go and use at my disposal would be worth the while, and just save what I fired off.

Where did you get the $6 figure for reloading a box?

Hmmmm, So maybe it'd be much wiser on my part to take that 300 dollars I was going to spend on 1000 rounds of 38 special and buy a reloading press.... brass / bullets / powder/primers ,etc...

Looks like I will be crunching numbers tonight to see what is more cost efficient

Personally I buy ammo on sale, shoot it and save the brass for reloading. I can't bring myself to buy fired brass, especially when I have been picking it up at the range at USPSA matches. One match nobody took theirs, I went home with 1000pcs of brass!

To answer your question, PRVI is good brass. I have it mostly for rifle but have used some for pistol and not noticed any issues with it. There is nothing wrong with buying once fired brass if you get it for a good price. Some brass like 357mag, 44 mag or 45 Colt is not laying around on most ranges. If I buy new brass it is Starline. I order directly from them.

Also, when you are just starting out, like I am, you will be doing a little experimenting and trial and hopefully no error.

There is nothing stopping you from reloading the same 200 cases a few times while you get the hang of it instead of waiting to get to 1000.

Well, if you reload a box of .38s for $6, and a brand new box cost $15, you are basically paying $9/50 pieces of once fired brass. You can buy once fired brass much cheaper online and get the same thing...

He is doing what I am doing from what I understand. I am researching reloading equipment and am not reloading just yet but while I am still shooting in preparation I might as well shoot something I can reload in the future.

It's not that I don't see the cost savings in reloading and that is just one of the few reasons I want to get into it, but want to balance the cost of what I would be shooting anyway with ammo who's Brass will good for reloading and have some life to it.

Most of the brass I have saved has been the Federal and USA new ammo for my 9mm and 40 S&W, and I have only been saving my own brass being what I may pick up I don't know the history on it.

Harry

I hear you. I have had my single stage for a little more than a month. I brought 250 reloads to the range and policed up all my brass to check how they looked. 2 people came up to me and asked "are you reloading?" and gave me their brass.

Don't wait for a crap load of brass. A box of 50 is good to start and take your time with. Brass is everywhere.

I refuse to pay for brass. I just scope out when I'm at the ranges and ask friends when they are shooting if I can have their brass. Seems to have worked out quite nicely for me and I have absolutely no brass shortage.

I do need to start reloading again, I have sooooo many components and so little reloaded rounds minus .38 I got a crap ton of that stuff!

He is doing what I am doing from what I understand. I am researching reloading equipment and am not reloading just yet but while I am still shooting in preparation I might as well shoot something I can reload in the future.

It's not that I don't see the cost savings in reloading and that is just one of the few reasons I want to get into it, but want to balance the cost of what I would be shooting anyway with ammo who's Brass will good for reloading and have some life to it.

Most of the brass I have saved has been the Federal and USA new ammo for my 9mm and 40 S&W, and I have only been saving my own brass being what I may pick up I don't know the history on it.

Harry

Exactly correct.

im not quite ready to start reloading, but i do want to prep by collecting all my brass for when i do decide.

But, I think i may just go ahead and order 1000 rounds of 357 magnum ammo, it's about 100+ dollars more expensive over the 38 special, but it'll probably be more cost effcient to have the 357 shells over 38 special.... and if I want a lighter load, I can load them lighter.

thanks everybody.