speshiok46

New Member from Freehold Twp, Monmouth Cty

Hey everybody,

I've been on the forum for a couple weeks now but didn't think to post in intro's. Well I'm really new to guns and forums. I got my FID & permits on 6/24, bought a new handgun (Beretta Neos 6.0 in .22lr) on 7/2, and waiting until 8/2 to pick up my second handgun (Taurus 24/7 OSS SS in .45ACP) from my local FFL.

I'm looking for a 9mm for my third and final permit. Debating between the Beretta 92FS, Taurus PT-92-SS, and the CZ-75b. Looking for an enjoyable range gun, so accuracy and reliability is most important to me. Suggestions and advice are more than welcomed.

Also, I'm looking for a local range to join. Being in Freehold, the closest options are Shore Shot and Brick-Armory. I confirmed with Shore Shot today (7/20/11) that they are still giving the NJGF member discount on yearly range memberships ($179 when I called, but other threads quoted them at $190) It'd be good to meet some fellow NJGF members out there. Anyone shoot at either ranges regularly?

Hey everybody,

I've been on the forum for a couple weeks now but didn't think to post in intro's. Well I'm really new to guns and forums. I got my FID & permits on 6/24, bought a new handgun (Beretta Neos 6.0 in .22lr) on 7/2, and waiting until 8/2 to pick up my second handgun (Taurus 24/7 OSS SS in .45ACP) from my local FFL.

I'm looking for a 9mm for my third and final permit. Debating between the Beretta 92FS, Taurus PT-92-SS, and the CZ-75b. Looking for an enjoyable range gun, so accuracy and reliability is most important to me. Suggestions and advice are more than welcomed.

Also, I'm looking for a local range to join. Being in Freehold, the closest options are Shore Shot and Brick-Armory. I confirmed with Shore Shot today (7/20/11) that they are still giving the NJGF member discount on yearly range memberships ($179 when I called, but other threads quoted them at $190) It'd be good to meet some fellow NJGF members out there. Anyone shoot at either ranges regularly?

1st, it's not the 7/2-8/2 it's 30 days not date to date.

As far as the 9mm, go on down to SS and rent a 9mm, you can try each and every one of the 9mm on the rental board and see what you really like shooting.

I'd recommend SS out of the 2 you mentioned and yes I did get my yearly membership for 179 for being a forum member. Also if you are going to be in the area for a while you might also look at clubs, while the initial cost may be more and each year just a tad more, you get a lot more in return so don't not look at CJRPC and OBRPC.

Oh, and welcome to the Forum.

Harry

Thanks for the welcome.

Harry - I was considering CJRPC, but I haven't decided if I'll be staying in the area for the long term, so one year membership is the max I can commit to for now. The facilities look great and well worth the $400 initial commitment fee.

AS350 - I noticed your home range is Fort Dix. Going by their website, it seems to be open to civilians too? Also, how do you like it overall, not too crowded?

Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome.

Harry - I was considering CJRPC, but I haven't decided if I'll be staying in the area for the long term, so one year membership is the max I can commit to for now. The facilities look great and well worth the $400 initial commitment fee.

AS350 - I noticed your home range is Fort Dix. Going by their website, it seems to be open to civilians too? Also, how do you like it overall, not too crowded?

Ft Dix's Range 14 is a great value for the occasional shooter. The cease-fires and lines get aggravating though.

• Like 1

Welcome!

While you're checking things out, remember that MEMBERSHIP in some Clubs (Old Bridge & CJ for instance) isn't REQUIRED in order to participate in some of the Leagues that they run: IDPA, USPSA, PPC, Black Powder, High Power, Cowboy, etc. All you have to do is pay a little more as a non-member and go through a safety orientation provided by the League Chairman. So once you become familiar with your gun, you can hang-around and watch what some of us do, and then take the safety class and join-in on the fun!

An NRA First Steps or Basic Pistol Class would be helpful to you as well.

Again welcome to the forum!

Dave

Fan of Beretta but have heard good things about the CZ.

I still have my Beretta .25 out in AZ at my folks house and have always like it, good solid and easy gun to work on, but it's still a mouse gun and just good for easy CC. I would never have a problem getting another Beretta and look forward to getting more when I find that money tree I seem to have misplaced.

As far as CZ's, I really like the 75 TS I have, very nice gun, points easy and works very well, I have been having problems with mag followers jamming and I took all of mine apart and I think I have them working right but will see this Sunday when I shoot the match. Other than that I love the gun and if you ever want to check it out and take some shots with it your more than welcome.

Harry

Thanks for all the welcomes and input everybody.

Harry - Thanks for the offer, but I'm pretty set on the Taurus 92 for this round. The CZ is still definitely on my radar though; maybe when I get proficient enough to join in on some competition shooting. I hear they're great for that.

I'm checking out Fort Dix and Shore Shot this weekend (weather permitting for Fort Dix). Hope to see everybody out there.

Thanks for all the welcomes and input everybody.

Harry - Thanks for the offer, but I'm pretty set on the Taurus 92 for this round. The CZ is still definitely on my radar though; maybe when I get proficient enough to join in on some competition shooting. I hear they're great for that.

I'm checking out Fort Dix and Shore Shot this weekend (weather permitting for Fort Dix). Hope to see everybody out there.

Some of us might be at Ft Dix on Sunday. Look for NJGF shirts :)

Welcome to the forum. Listen to Dave (Smokin 50). We are members at Old Bridge and they have many indoor and outdoor shooting events that are open to the public. Gives people a great opportunity to try different types of shooting events without having to become a member.

Now, if you are looking for a place to shoot indoors then that limits your options. You can join different places to keep the cost down if you shoot often, or simply pay as a walk-on at Shore Shot like I do from time to time and they give us a good discount being a member of this forum. They are not open 24/7 like many of the private club indoor shooting ranges though. Look at this link and see if there are any events you would like to try:

http://www.oldbridgerifle.com/newsletter/July_2011_web.pdf

I have a Beretta 96FS and 92FS, plus a S/A 1911, but I actually prefer my revolvers!