almiz111

Sons of Guns - 1000 yard sniper AK

Anybody see this mess tonight on Discovery? They hyped a rifle build -AK with special barrel and trigger.

First off the daughter is annoying.

The old fart owner know it all is a pain in the a**.

They shoot it at ??? yards - don't even tell you. Should I ASSume 1000?

They fail to mention if it was still 762 or modified to 308 or what? Should I ASSume 50 cal?

But of course they blow up a car at the end which really makes it interesting and exciting.

Help me please. Tell me I am wrong. But give me some answers.

Thanks,

Homer

I will say this, I did not see the show this evening, however if these shows were catered to just the enthusiast in the sport and were accurate you would not have a large audience and we wouldn't have these programs on the boob-tube.

It worked the same for the bike building shows, there were very few on all the shows that I would have let help me in person working on my bike when I was more than a 1000 miles from home, let alone bring something to them to work on, most all the shows instilled enough confidence in thee ability to me that I wouldn't have them try and fix my boat anchor.

Both examples is that the hardcore firearms person or biker isn't going to really like these shows 100% of the time, they will find a lot of BS in them, but put them out to the general public and they are being entertained, or at least drawing in a larger audience.

For both shows, I see the more people involved in the activity the better it is for each.

Harry

If the rifle is built usin the saiga in .308 it wouldnt be to hard makin it a 1000 yard shooter, a decent heavy match 22" barrel and high end ammo and a real good shooter its a done deal. Red Jacket Firearms makes some good stuff. Yeah they are corny on tv,and the daughter is a little annoying, but these guys make some bad @$$ guns and they draw a lot of people into the sport of shooting maybe even have a small influx on the NRA so all and all not so bad IMHO.

Is it entertaining yea

Are half the builds unbearably corny yes

Will I continue to watch the show every weds at work yes

But I don't get it they kept saying it would be amazon to have a reliable and accurate semi auto out to 1000 yds. Maybe I'm misinformed but doesnt the semi auto .50 bmg barred fill this need

Also they didn't verify or show that those shots were at 1000 unless I missed something.

Is it entertaining yea

Are half the builds unbearably corny yes

Will I continue to watch the show every weds at work yes

But I don't get it they kept saying it would be amazon to have a reliable and accurate semi auto out to 1000 yds. Maybe I'm misinformed but doesnt the semi auto .50 bmg barred fill this need

Also they didn't verify or show that those shots were at 1000 unless I missed something.

Get an LMT MWS or something else that is modular. swap barrels if you want. match grade 308 and you are there.

wouldn't be too bad, especially with a .308. When I went to build a sub MOA SKS people said I was nuts..... last time I was home and got it sighted in I proved them wrong. Where there is a will there is a way.

wtched the show and the barrel was marked 30 cal on the box..

you guys are tough man... they take an AK add a bull barrel and match trigger and sniper stock, shorten up the lanky gas system and you guys are all over them like someone burnt your toast and tried covering it up with crem cheese..

geeez...

• Like 4

First the show can be lame.... I am sure they sit around and our embarassed all the way to the bank somedays.

Second, the Saiga .308 can be a great rifle for long range shooting and I can see those adaptations adding alot to the mechanical accuracy. Plus that rifle would prob be less then 1K to build yourself. Hmmmm......

Third, she is annoying. And her pop is a little drama queen.

I caught the repeat last night but more so the tail end of it.

It looked like the contractor shot the rifle at about 150-200yds max. Sure it is difficult to tell, but there is a big difference between 200yds and 1000yds.

Awesome. I am glad they tested the "1000yd" AK at a fraction of that.

Its annoying because its kind of like making a Yugo do the quarter mile in 9 seconds. Can it be done? Probably but its not what I would waste my time with. The other annoyance is it seems they have a bad habit of presenting themselves like this is some new idea dreamed up all by their lonesome on many of their projects. There are a LOT of semiauto rifles out there today that are 1000yd capable out of the box. If I were a betting man I would say that Siaga is back dooring them some serious cabbage to keep their wares at the forefront of the show. One more thing I can tell you is that all these shows are pretty liberal with the editing covering up accuracy issues, malfunctions and everything else for the sake of the show. I think my particluer annoyance, though, is that it is tailored for the mall ninja!

• Like 1

Its annoying because its kind of like making a Yugo do the quarter mile in 9 seconds. Can it be done? Probably but its not what I would waste my time with. The other annoyance is it seems they have a bad habit of presenting themselves like this is some new idea dreamed up all by their lonesome on many of their projects. There are a LOT of semiauto rifles out there today that are 1000yd capable out of the box. If I were a betting man I would say that Siaga is back dooring them some serious cabbage to keep their wares at the forefront of the show. One more thing I can tell you is that all these shows are pretty liberal with the editing covering up accuracy issues, malfunctions and everything else for the sake of the show. I think my particluer annoyance, though, is that it is tailored for the mall ninja!

Now I watch with captions but I don't remember reading (hearing) saiga mentioned once and they were chopping and tweaking that receiver I don't see how this promotes saiga. Granted every third or 4th episode someone's got a saiga shotgun in one way or another but "ak" pattern rifles and suppressors were and are their bread and butter

not sure if you are kidding.. but will and tony have both been on Saiga12 for 5+ years.. I think it unlikely that anyone is coaxing them to use Saigas... I think that is just the way it is..

What I was alluding to was simply the practice that goes on with all brands paying to have their stuff splashed on the screen or even in video games. Transformers comes to mind. It was so blatent in the movie it was distracting LOL. OK we get it Cisco paid you a lot of money to do slow transitions past Cisco equipment showing the logo. Anyway that was my thought behind the motivation of picking an AK rifle for a precision semi build.

What I was alluding to was simply the practice that goes on with all brands paying to have their stuff splashed on the screen or even in video games. Transformers comes to mind. It was so blatent in the movie it was distracting LOL. OK we get it Cisco paid you a lot of money to do slow transitions past Cisco equipment showing the logo. Anyway that was my thought behind the motivation of picking an AK rifle for a precision semi build.

nah.. I think they are just AK whores based on conversations I have had with Will and Tony.. not trying to create the wrong impression I am not "friends" with either.. but have spoken to both a few times.. Tony even took time to talk to me about stuff when I was not buying from him.. I really believe they just have a general appreciation for that firearm.. also.. if you are going to try to build something longer range... I think we will agree 308 is a pretty decent round to use.. well if you want to make a long range AK platform gun.. natural progression points to the Saiga chambered in 308... but that is all just a guess.. I obviously don't know without question..

If the rifle is built usin the saiga in .308 it wouldnt be to hard makin it a 1000 yard shooter, a decent heavy match 22" barrel and high end ammo and a real good shooter its a done deal. Red Jacket Firearms makes some good stuff. Yeah they are corny on tv,and the daughter is a little annoying, but these guys make some bad @$$ guns and they draw a lot of people into the sport of shooting maybe even have a small influx on the NRA so all and all not so bad IMHO.

Yah I guess we kinda beat em up.

I was looking more for rifle engineering than entertainment and that is a mistake.

I realise that we as a non target audience will be much more critical. But it would be nice to see a real project come along. And just for the sake of clarity, I am sure there is some merit to what they actually do there. They seem to be good enough guys. I just cant help but get that same feeling I get when Im in a gun store and someone starts belting out the, when was a sniper for seal team 9, Devgru Delta force in the nam........

Vlad, agreed if I HAD to do it, a 308 would be the platform.

As to the Daughter, Im not easy to gross out but you guys have managed! :D

• Like 1

I'm not really sure why Sons Of Guns claim that their AK 47 sniper (1,000 yard AK) is the worlds first. The Dragunov sniper rifle is the same thing and was originally produced in the late 50's to early 60's. It's still in production today. Range 800 to 900 meters, works out to be about 1,000 yards or more. :icon_question: