Sign in to follow this  
Wojo

NJ Medical Marijuana vs Your Gun Rights

Something to ponder and kick around here and other places. Now that the governor has given the green light to move forward with Medical Marijuana, what happens if you have a legal need and are put on NJ's registry for approved use? Do you then lose you rights to possess a gun in this state?

They (NJSP) may have to review / revise the reams of paper work we need to go thru during the initial issuance of a FID card and subsequent purchases to address the issue. NO surprise that NJ will have the strictest and most vague laws when it comes to medical MJ. IIRC, they ask if you have an alcoholic...that doesn't mean you can drink. but IIRC they ask if you use MJ...not if you are addicted.

I'll have to pull one of my recent copies to find out or one of our FFL's probably has it right in front of them. To say the least, SAF, NRA, NJ2A might put this on the radar screen for the future.

Another issue for you bonk water guys, your employer still has the right to deny you employment or terminate you if your sample contains too many nanometers of THC...when I was in the CG I think our limit was around 50.

Switching gears and a commentary....This is coming from a former Coastie...we aren't winning the are on drugs so we might as well remove the profits from the Taliban and various cartels that use the profits against us. If you look at the laws from the Marijuana Tax Act of 1937, the main reason it was passed was to keep it out of the hands of Mexicans and Africans...a very racist law. If you look at who is the biggest anti's are on this (barring most LE) is the big pharma companies because they can't patent a plant. And heaven forbid if they lose sales of Celebrex, Aspirin, or any other drugs they need to make a huge profit on. MJ use declined with the introduction of aspirin...after all, just take a pill. And so it started the departure from holistic to chemical dependence from big companies. Don't take my word on this, do your homework.

Something to ponder and kick around here and other places. Now that the governor has given the green light to move forward with Medical Marijuana, what happens if you have a legal need and are put on NJ's registry for approved use? Do you then lose you rights to possess a gun in this state?

They (NJSP) may have to review / revise the reams of paper work we need to go thru during the initial issuance of a FID card and subsequent purchases to address the issue. NO surprise that NJ will have the strictest and most vague laws when it comes to medical MJ. IIRC, they ask if you have an alcoholic...that doesn't mean you can drink. but IIRC they ask if you use MJ...not if you are addicted.

I'll have to pull one of my recent copies to find out or one of our FFL's probably has it right in front of them. To say the least, SAF, NRA, NJ2A might put this on the radar screen for the future.

Another issue for you bonk water guys, your employer still has the right to deny you employment or terminate you if your sample contains too many nanometers of THC...when I was in the CG I think our limit was around 50.

Switching gears and a commentary....This is coming from a former Coastie...we aren't winning the are on drugs so we might as well remove the profits from the Taliban and various cartels that use the profits against us. If you look at the laws from the Marijuana Tax Act of 1937, the main reason it was passed was to keep it out of the hands of Mexicans and Africans...a very racist law. If you look at who is the biggest anti's are on this (barring most LE) is the big pharma companies because they can't patent a plant. And heaven forbid if they lose sales of Celebrex, Aspirin, or any other drugs they need to make a huge profit on. MJ use declined with the introduction of aspirin...after all, just take a pill. And so it started the departure from holistic to chemical dependence from big companies. Don't take my word on this, do your homework.

Nailed it with the pharmaceutical companies, mainly their lobby boys in DC. It's not too hard to decipher this when you have people making outrageous claims how MMJ has no benefits when there are millions of cancer patients who testify every year coupled with doctors who see it work.

As for gun rights, not sure how that would turn out. Since this is NJ i can see them going either way with it, i remember recently a state tried to revoke a woman's carry permit because she used MMJ, not sure what the out come was. Also, if it is a legal form of medication are you required by anyone to disclaim if your using it? As long as it is not a federal document if your a legal user i don't see how someone can ask you to tell them what medications your using, would seem like some sort of violation of privacy. Then again this is NJ anything could happen, but they will probably end up changing things as people complain or get denied, for better or worse.

i believe the woman in question using m&m won her case to keep her permit..the state was Washington (i think)..

the only ones allowed to use m&m in nj, are only the most chronically ill or have some dibilitating condition and probably dont posses the strength or health to safely use a firearm much less the strength or ability to go through the process of buying one...being as how this is jersey and mary jane is illegal,,my guess is the pd would deny an applicant..they could easily amend the mental health form to include m&m in the background check... users are required to be registered with the state and will be issued I.D cards...

i believe the woman in question using m&m won her case to keep her permit..the state was Washington (i think)..

the only ones allowed to use m&m in nj, are only the most chronically ill or have some dibilitating condition and probably dont posses the strength or health to safely use a firearm much less the strength or ability to go through the process of buying one...being as how this is jersey and mary jane is illegal,,my guess is the pd would deny an applicant..they could easily amend the mental health form to include m&m in the background check... users are required to be registered with the state and will be issued I.D cards...

The mental health form is not for physical health or medications used for physical health. It's purely circumstantial to claim whether someone has the strength to operate a firearm safely, take cancer for instance. Many cancer patients undergo a series of treatments and overall health changes dramatically. There could be a period of treatment where the patient is very weak, and further down the line the patient restores most strength. There not bed ridden for the entire treatment. If you have an ID card to possess MJ then you are within the law, i see no legal grounds for a denial other then the ability to safely operate a firearm.

Well, under federal law, if you are convicted of a drug violation, local or state or federal, you are banned from firearms possession for life. Regardless of sentence or lack thereof. So, you've pretty much tossed your name in a hat that some politician can use to haunt you later since you had to register with the state for the stuff, and therefore admitted to a federal crime.

I am not a lawyer.

Well, under federal law, if you are convicted of a drug violation, local or state or federal, you are banned from firearms possession for life. Regardless of sentence or lack thereof. So, you've pretty much tossed your name in a hat that some politician can use to haunt you later since you had to register with the state for the stuff, and therefore admitted to a federal crime.

I am not a lawyer.

People have there FPID's with MJ misdemeanor possession charges. It may be federal drug charges, dunno tho.

IIRC, they ask if you have an alcoholic...that doesn't mean you can drink.

They ask if you are an alcoholic, however it then states you can answer "no" if you are an alcoholic in recovery. That's clarified because anyone in AA still considers themselves to be an alcoholic, no matter how long they are sober for. NJ's concern is if someone is CURRENTLY abusing alcohol.....however someone in AA with 30 years sobriety could read that and answer "yes" because they are still considered one.

I am not a lawyer.

I personally know someone who had a cocaine poss charge in the late 80's, got it expunged and now has a FID card and many pistols. Yes in NJ. Just adding that to the mix

I personally know someone who had a cocaine poss charge in the late 80's, got it expunged and now has a FID card and many pistols. Yes in NJ. Just adding that to the mix

Well, of course. You can have treason and murder expunged and then own firearms as far as I know.