It is illegal in NJ. We are only allowed 3/4 oz. It is 1 oz.

Kimber pepper blaster 2 =

Two 0.21 oz. non-refillable cartridges containing of a 10% solution of liquid OC (2.4% capsaicinoids)

PepperBlaster® Specifications

Operation

Type .................................................. Double action with automatic switchover

Trigger pull weight ............................... 6.6 pounds (3 kg)

Safety ................................................ Swing-away trigger guard

Content

Irritant agent ....................................... 10% OC (oleoresin capsicum)

Capsaicinoids ..................................... 2.4%

Scoville heat units ............................... 4 million (400,000 in solution)

Volume per charge .............................. 0.21 fluid ounce (6 ml)

Performance

Charge velocity ................................... 90 MPH (132 FPS)

Effective range ................................... 2-13 feet

Operating temperature range ................ -4 ℉ (-20 ℃) to 176 ℉ (+80 ℃)

Shot capacity ..................................... 2 charges per unit

Water resistance ................................. Yes

Warranty ............................................ 3 years on operating mechanism

Dimensions

Length ............................................... 4.7 inches (119 mm)

Width ................................................ 1.0 inch (25 mm)

Height ............................................... 3.3 inches (84 mm)

Approximate weight ............................ 4.2 ounces (120 grams)

PepperBlaster® Specifications

Operation

Type .................................................. Double action with automatic switchover

Trigger pull weight ............................... 6.6 pounds (3 kg)

Safety ................................................ Swing-away trigger guard

Content

Irritant agent ....................................... 10% OC (oleoresin capsicum)

Capsaicinoids ..................................... 2.4%

Scoville heat units ............................... 4 million (400,000 in solution)

Volume per charge .............................. 0.21 fluid ounce (6 ml)

Performance

Charge velocity ................................... 90 MPH (132 FPS)

Effective range ................................... 2-13 feet

Operating temperature range ................ -4 ℉ (-20 ℃) to 176 ℉ (+80 ℃)

Shot capacity ..................................... 2 charges per unit

Water resistance ................................. Yes

Warranty ............................................ 3 years on operating mechanism

Dimensions

Length ............................................... 4.7 inches (119 mm)

Width ................................................ 1.0 inch (25 mm)

Height ............................................... 3.3 inches (84 mm)

Approximate weight ............................ 4.2 ounces (120 grams)

Exactly this

I'm liking this one...

Kimber JPX

The JPX Jet Protector Frame is a reloadable high-tech OC delivery system. Each cartridge (two per magazine) fires exceptionally potent liquid OC at 405 mph with effective distance of 23 feet. Warning: The MINIMUM safe discharge distance is 5 feet from the tip of the magazine to the target. This package includes the JPX Jet Protect Frame, One High Powerered Yellow OC Cartridge with 2 separate shots. The Combined savings of buying this package is well over $100.00. •Measures: 7.28” L x 1.38” W x 3.46” H •Purchaser is certifying they are of legal age to purchase and possess the device. Weight (charged): 12.5 ounces (350 grams) Operation: Double-action only trigger with automatic switchover. Content: 2 charges per magazine, filled with liquid irritant. (Magazines with OC irritant must be purchased separately. Volume per charge: 0.39 fluid ounces (11 ml) Irritant agent: 10% OC (oleoresin capsicum) Charge velocity: 405 MPH / 396 FPS Effective Range: (law enforcement model) Up to 23 feet (7 meters) Operating temperature range: -5°F (-20°C) to +176°F (+80°C) Drop safety: Drop tested up to 5 feet (1.5 meters) Water resistant: Yes Holster Kydex belt holster Warranty: One year operating mechanism, 2 year expiration from date of manufacture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olsl23gNK2A

Kimber sells training cartridges for it, so that you can actually practice with it to develop some proficiency...

Sorry to re-visit this thread, but I was about to order one of these, but read the description, which, after reading I now remember someone stating this in this thread. This device is activated by a pyrotechnic device. As such it exactly fits the definition of a firearm as set forth in the NJ Administrative code:

"Firearm or firearms" means any handgun, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, automatic or semi-automatic rifle, or any gun, device or instrument in the nature of a weapon from which may be fired or ejected any solid projectable ball, slug, pellet, missile or bullet, or any gas, vapor or other noxious thing, by means of a cartridge or shell or by the action of an explosive or the igniting of flammable or explosive substances.

Given how "gray" our firearms laws usually are, this would seem pretty black & white. It meets the letter and intent of the definition.

I think we all got so hung-up on the 3/4 oz of spray thing that we overlooked (except for s8n) the obvious.

fishnut: How did Kimber rationalize the alleged legality of this device? Again, did you only ask about volume of contents? Curious to know what they said. I tried the e-mail form on their website, but Maks must have beat me to it, as it seems to be broken :icon_mrgreen:

Let's explore this a little further.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob - there's no explosive - it's a regular pepper spray AFAIK.

Nick:

Midway catalog says: "Pyrotechnic device" and Kimber's website makes a big deal about the contents not being pressurized. Also, it's not a spray, but a gel.

I did a lot of research and hashed this out with a friend (also a poster on here, and well respected when it comes to legal matters), and his read, and after looking it all over, mine too, is that 2C:39-6(i) - see below - is a blanket exemption that covers you for the ownership and carrying of one of these devices. The deciding factor (quoted verbatim from my friend's analysis) is:

"Nothing in N.J.S. 2C:39-5..." That's the key language. That means that 2C:39-5(b) does not apply to the kind of device described in the exemption. It does not say, for example, "...unless the device meets the definition of a firearm..." The word device appears in both the exemption and the definition of a firearm. So it is clear that the exemption applies to devices, and devices may be firearms. The fact that it specifically exempts you from 2C:39-5, means that you are exempted from the "unlawful possession of a firearm/handgun" charge. If pepper spray devices were not considered firearms, then you would not need to be exempted from that statute.

Here's the satute:

Nothing in N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent any person who is 18 years of age or older and who has not been convicted of a felony, from possession for the purpose of personal self-defense of one pocket-sized device which contains and releases not more than three-quarters of an ounce of chemical substance not ordinarily capable of lethal use or of inflicting serious bodily injury, but rather, is intended to produce temporary physical discomfort or disability through being vaporized or otherwise dispensed in the air. Any person in possession of any device in violation of this subsection shall be deemed and adjudged to be a disorderly person, and upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not less than $100.00.

I'm comfortable enough with this that I intend to go ahead with an order. That being said - the usual disclaimer: I, and my quoted friend, are not lawyers. Any NJ law is open to interpretation. The final arbiter is the courts. At your own peril....

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

I looked at you tube videos of this today to see what it would do. It looked as if the first shot was always low and the second shot (likely the top charge) was dead on when aimed.

I was looking at getting a few to keep in the car and for my wife to commute with to the city.

I did a lot of research and hashed this out with a friend (also a poster on here, and well respected when it comes to legal matters), and his read, and after looking it all over, mine too, is that 2C:39-6(i) - see below - is a blanket exemption that covers you for the ownership and carrying of one of these devices. The deciding factor (quoted verbatim from my friend's analysis) is:

"Nothing in N.J.S. 2C:39-5..." That's the key language. That means that 2C:39-5(b) does not apply to the kind of device described in the exemption. It does not say, for example, "...unless the device meets the definition of a firearm..." The word device appears in both the exemption and the definition of a firearm. So it is clear that the exemption applies to devices, and devices may be firearms. The fact that it specifically exempts you from 2C:39-5, means that you are exempted from the "unlawful possession of a firearm/handgun" charge. If pepper spray devices were not considered firearms, then you would not need to be exempted from that statute.

Here's the satute:

Nothing in N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent any person who is 18 years of age or older and who has not been convicted of a felony, from possession for the purpose of personal self-defense of one pocket-sized device which contains and releases not more than three-quarters of an ounce of chemical substance not ordinarily capable of lethal use or of inflicting serious bodily injury, but rather, is intended to produce temporary physical discomfort or disability through being vaporized or otherwise dispensed in the air. Any person in possession of any device in violation of this subsection shall be deemed and adjudged to be a disorderly person, and upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not less than $100.00.

I'm comfortable enough with this that I intend to go ahead with an order. That being said - the usual disclaimer: I, and my quoted friend, are not lawyers. Any NJ is open to interpretation. The final arbiter is the courts. At your own peril....

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Something else to consider, this device is not capable of killing or causing serious or permanent injury (under usual circumstances).

If I recall correctly, I believe this is how paintball guns were not construed as firearms in NJ.