boxjeff

Stockpile ammunition in NJ? is it ok?

I was just about to buy significant quantities of .223, then someone suggested looking into NJ law on stockpiling ammunition before I purchase any.

Is there anything in NJ laws that prevents me from stockpiling ammunition?

I was just about to buy significant quantities of .223, then someone suggested looking into NJ law on stockpiling ammunition before I purchase any.

None that I have ever seen.

ETA: There are laws against specific amounts of powder/primers if you start reloading.

ETA x2: Disregard the earlier ETA, and see PK90's post.

I was just about to buy significant quantities of .223,

Just curious what the OP considers "significant quantities". Now, glennp.....he has significant quantities.

Advise from another gun forum which I agree with >

The NFPA regs only apply if your local government has adopted them. The majority of America simply uses the NFPA codes as a guideline rather than an enforceable code. And even if your local government has adopted the NFPA regs and enforces it as a code, the local fire marshal has the authority to grant variances when some performance criteria have been met (ex: sprinkler systems, proper egress, tidy storage, ect.) so you could end up legally storing more than the regs state.

But with that being said, the local fire marshal also has the authority to limit the amounts to whatever he or she feels like, especially if your local government has not adopted NFPA.

But when it really comes down to it, if it is not a commercial structure, the fire marshal will likely just say "Well, if it ever catches on fire, we just wont put it out." or something of that nature.

In all likelihood though, the only reason I could ever see somebody making a fuss is if you are a store with an overzealous fire inspector or your nosy neighbor reports you. and then again, its much easier to get forgiveness than permission.

My advice is to keep as much as you want as long as you use some common sense storage techniques.

10-3 SMOKELESS PROPELLANTS. 10-3.1 Quantities of smokeless propellants not exceeding 25 LB (11.3kg), in shipping containers approved by the U.S. Department of Transportation, may be transported in a private vehicle. 10-3.2 Quantities of smokeless propellants exceeding 25 lb (11.3kg) but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), transported in a private vehicle, shall be transported in a portable magazine having wood walls of at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.

10-3.3 Transportation of more than 50 lb (22.7 kg) of smokeless propellants in a private vehicle is prohibited.

10-3.4 Commercial shipments of smokeless propellants in quantities not exceeding 100 lb. (45.4kg) are classified for transportation purposes as flammable solids when packaged according to U.S. Department of Transportation Hazardous Materials Regulations. (Title 49, Code of Federal Regulations, Park 173.197a), and shall be transported accordingly.

10-3.5 Commercial shipments of smokeless propellants exceeding 100 lb (45.4 kg) or not packaged in accordance with the regulations cited in 10-3.4 shall be transported according to the U. S. Department of Transportation regulations for Class B propellant explosives.

10-3.6 Smokeless propellants shall be stored in shipping containers specified by U. S. Department of Transportation Hazardous Materials Regulations.

10-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) may be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), may be stored in residences if kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls or at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.

10-3.8 Not more than 20 lb (9.1 kg) of smokeless propellants, in containers of 1-lb (0.45-kg) maximum capacity, shall be displayed in commercial establishments.

10-3.9 Commercial stocks of smokeless propellants should be stored as follows:

(a) Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 100 lb (45.4 kg), shall be stored in portable wooden boxes having walls of at least 1-in (25.4-mm) thickness.

(b) Quantities exceeding 100 lb (45.4 kg), but not exceeding 800 lb (363 kg), shall be stored in non portable storage cabinets having walls of at least 1-in (25.4-mm) thickness. Not more than 400 lb (181 kg) may be stored in any one cabinet and cabinets shall be separated by a distance of at least 25 ft (7.63 m) or by a fire partition having a fire resistance of at least 1 hour.

© Quantities exceeding 800 lb (363 kg), but not exceeding 5,000 lb (2268 kg), may be stored in a building if the following requirements are met:

1. The warehouse or storage room shall not be accessible to unauthorized personnel.
  2. Smokeless propellant shall be stored in nonportable storage cabinets having wood walls at least 1 inc. (25.4 mm) thick and having shelves with no more than 3 ft (0.92 m) separation between shelves.
  3. No more than 400 lb (181 kg) shall be stored in any one cabinet.
  4. Cabinets shall be located against walls of the storage room or warehouse with at least 40 ft (12.2 m) between cabinets.
  5. Separation between cabinets may be reduced to 250 ft (6.1m) if barricades twice the height of the cabinets are attached to the wall, midway between each cabinet. The barricades shall extend at least 10 ft (3m) outward, shall be firmly attached to the wall, and shall be constructed of 1/4-inc. (6.4-mm) boiler plate, 2-in. (51-mm) thick wood, brick, or concrete block.
  6. Smokeless propellant shall be separated from materials classified by the U.S. Department of Transportation as flammable liquids, flammable solids, and oxidizing materials by a distance of 25 ft (7.63mm) or by a fire partition having a fire resistance of at least 1 hour.
  7. The building shall be protected by an automatic sprinkler system installed accordingly to NFPA 13, Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems.

(d) Smokeless propellants not stored according to (a), (b) and © above shall be stored in a Type 4 magazine constructed and located according to Chapter 6.

Reprinted with permission from NFPA495-85, Standard for the Manufacture, Transportation, Storage and Use of Explosive Materials, © 1985, National Fire Protection Association, Quincy, MA 02269. This reprinted material is not the complete and official position of the NFPA on the referenced subject, which is represented by the Standard in its entirety.

• Like 1

Do you have ammo crates stacked to the ceiling and along an entire wall?

LOL! I forgot to post a smiley face next to my response. I'm sure that compared to most of you my 10,000 or so rounds (about half of it .22LR) would be considered "insignificant quantites." On the other hand, in the extremely unlikely event that I broke the law and the police raided my house, I'm sure the newspapers would report that I had a "stockpile" of ammo. :icon_mrgreen:

But when it really comes down to it, if it is not a commercial structure, the fire marshal will likely just say "Well, if it ever catches on fire, we just wont put it out." or something of that nature.

I am not a firefighter and have never played one on TV or on the internet. I have observed the results of ammunition cooking off from 22 LR to 175mm gun powder canisters and the following has been my observations. When metallic ammo is in a burning structure cooks off due to the heat the cartridge is not contained so the round goes off without much pressure being built up and usually doesn't travel far. The liklihood of it injuring someone is small and bunker gear would provide protection as its pretty heavy stuff. A cooked off round may break skin 50-100' away but most likely will not penetrate. The most likely injury is getting hit in the eye with a cooked off round and that can do serious damage. Something like a 50 Browning round going off will do more damage at a greater range than a 357 or 45 acp.

I have seen lead bullets melt in the case before the powder went off.

A 175mm powder canister is another animal. You have 99 pounds of powder contained in a metal cylinder with a screw on cap a one end (the weakest part of the container). If a powder like this cooks off it blows off the cao and takes off to travel several hindre feet. The canister weighs maybe 35-40 pounds and can do significant damage on the way up or down.

This was the reason driving the powder truck in a convoy in a combat zone is only one step below a gas truck.

Smokeless powder tends to flare up rather than explode. If you keep it in factory containers the pressure will be released early minimizing the flare up.

. A cooked off round may break skin 50-100' away but most likely will not penetrate.

I didn't think a cooked off round would even travel 5 to 10 feet let alone 50-100 and break skin. (this would be for lose ammo not loaded in the chamber)

Harry

• Like 1

I didn't think a cooked off round would even travel 5 to 10 feet let alone 50-100 and break skin. (this would be for lose ammo not loaded in the chamber)

Harry

I'm being overly generous here. I've seen rounds (7.62 NATO) go 50' but the velocity would be something like me throwing it at you.

Too many people think that small arms ammo would kill everyone in a half mile radius.

Harry

If you think about the physics and characteristics of a cartridge a number of things could be considered, a loose cartridge is different then a packed cartridge. If the cartridge is upside down or right side up. Either way once the two separate there is no more force, so one could say a HG cartridge would be different then a rifle which burns longer. My overall guess would be that in any scenario you get all the flash and bang, but no real force behind the projectile, distance is not the issue as one could fall 3 feet or one could be projected 100, but the overall speed would be fairly low as there is a tremendous amount of initial extremely quick force with no direction or stabilization.

I can store it for you if that would make you feel better... ;)

I'm being overly generous here. I've seen rounds (7.62 NATO) go 50' but the velocity would be something like me throwing it at you.

Too many people think that small arms ammo would kill everyone in a half mile radius.

There's more danger of a cut from a ruptured case than from the projectile itself.

Posted Today, 08:43 PM

GRIZ, on 26 July 2011 - 10:22 PM, said:

There's more danger of a cut from a ruptured case than from the projectile itself.

True. Possibility a burn as the projectile (bullet or cartridge case) would be a bit hot.