S&W39

East Brunswick Police Training Facility

For about 2 years I've been questioning EB officials about the EB Police Range opening for public use.I've been informed that a study is in progress on this becoming a reality in the near future.This is way past the rumor stage.If this passes a Town Council vote,and it appears that it would,then its up to the shooting community to show their interest.All those interested should go the the EB web site and let members of the town council know there's genuine interest in making this happen.You don't have to be a EB resident to participate. All NJ shooters would benefit from this facility.This is the first time in 2 years I,ve actually gotten positive feedback from council members.The details have to be worked out of course,but with enough support this can happen.In NJ you can never have enough places to shoot. I urge all fellow shooters to step up and voice your support. Thanks

• Like 1

This whole thing was a huge joke. They spent all that money and it was approved partially due to the ability to "rent it out" to other LE orgs and then... Nothing.... Typical gov't waste. Hope this works out for you guys!

If done right it can work out for all NJ shooters.

Where do we show our interest? EB is close enough to me that I'd go all the time.

East Brunswick Web Site ,just let council members know that you would be interested in seeing public use of the range. Keep it short and simple their looking for positive feed back.Thanks

This is interesting. The devil will be in the details. Cost, hours of operation, who R-O's & staffs the facility, developing a calendar and allowing the EBPD priority range time, will there be some sort of "test" to use it or will a newbie off the street be able to shoot the place up, what about the fancy (fun) gizmos that their supposed to have for PD training, insurance liabilities, additional maintainence, custodian, the list goes on forever. Running a range isn't as easy as it seems.....this "study" may take a while or the Council may re-think the entire thing. Mind you I'm not saying it shouldn't open. It's that there's a lot to consider and this "idea" is NOT a way to close a budget gap due to the State cutting the funds it sends to the towns.

I'd pay to visit there if I could make use of the fancy training gizmos that the Police use.

Dave

This is interesting. The devil will be in the details. Cost, hours of operation, who R-O's & staffs the facility, developing a calendar and allowing the EBPD priority range time, will there be some sort of "test" to use it or will a newbie off the street be able to shoot the place up, what about the fancy (fun) gizmos that their supposed to have for PD training, insurance liabilities, additional maintainence, custodian, the list goes on forever. Running a range isn't as easy as it seems.....this "study" may take a while or the Council may re-think the entire thing. Mind you I'm not saying it shouldn't open. It's that there's a lot to consider and this "idea" is NOT a way to close a budget gap due to the State cutting the funds it sends to the towns.

I'd pay to visit there if I could make use of the fancy training gizmos that the Police use.

Dave

Dave

It sure didn't take long for this type of moronic response.The basic part of the range is for the public. The gizmos are for trained professionals.You sound like a competing range owner trying to turn people off to the idea.Every point you mention is being addressed.If you're a dedicated shooter and sportsman you should be glad this will happen.This has been in review for 2 years. If discouraging people is your goal,its too late.People with more expertise than you are working on this issue.I guess you will need to find another place to use (fancy fun stuff),try Great Adventure.

I don't think they believe it would be a financial windfall for them. More of a sharing of the resources with the public and maybe cover the costs of additional wear and tear. I responded on the website.

• Like 1

It sure didn't take long for this type of moronic response.The basic part of the range is for the public. The gizmos are for trained professionals.You sound like a competing range owner trying to turn people off to the idea.Every point you mention is being addressed.If you're a dedicated shooter and sportsman you should be glad this will happen.This has been in review for 2 years. If discouraging people is your goal,its too late.People with more expertise than you are working on this issue.I guess you will need to find another place to use (fancy fun stuff),try Great Adventure.

Your childish name-calling and sarcasm aren't called for. If this "big idea" has already taken TWO FULL YEARS to review so far, it sounds like someone is trying to "push a rope". It sure wouldn't have taken me two years to get R Done! I don't have a dog in this fight, per se. Some of my County taxes went to pay for this as well. Contrary to your opinion of me, I hope it does open so that more people have some place to shoot.

Dave

• Like 5

Your childish name-calling and sarcasm aren't called for. If this "big idea" has already taken TWO FULL YEARS to review so far, it sounds like someone is trying to "push a rope". It sure wouldn't have taken me two years to get R Done! I don't have a dog in this fight, per se. Some of my County taxes went to pay for this as well. Contrary to your opinion of me, I hope it does open so that more people have some place to shoot.

Dave

[/quote

Fellow shooters you read it here first,Smokin50 could have gotten it done quicker.Who knew? Don't let this side bar be a distraction I'm just havin some fun.Lets stick to the issue at hand,present our case simply and with respect to all.

• Like 1

Gotta love the internet, huh Dave? Seems like S&W39 thinks you own a range. If you do, can I come over and shoot?

Dave brought up many valid points that must be considered by the EB Town Council.

I've seen some scary shyt at some public ranges. Shore Shot is pretty safe when an RO is watching. Brick Armory, well, we never have RO's there. I have seen people sweeping-around with guns, loaded or unloaded I do not know. And that is when I was actually standing-back watching my wife shoot. Who knows what was happening behind me when I was shooting........

I would love to see the EB range open to the public, it is two miles from me. I am already a member at Old Bridge, as is Dave (he doesn't own a range). Never have can too many places to go shooting.

Gotta love the internet, huh Dave? Seems like S&W39 thinks you own a range. If you do, can I come over and shoot?

Dave brought up many valid points that must be considered by the EB Town Council.

I've seen some scary shyt at some public ranges. Shore Shot is pretty safe when an RO is watching. Brick Armory, well, we never have RO's there. I have seen people sweeping-around with guns, loaded or unloaded I do not know. And that is when I was actually standing-back watching my wife shoot. Who knows what was happening behind me when I was shooting........

I would love to see the EB range open to the public, it is two miles from me. I am already a member at Old Bridge, as is Dave (he doesn't own a range). Never have can too many places to go shooting.

ll

Are you under the impression that the EB range would be unsupervised? There will be a police presence and I tend to think it would be a tight ship. I've seen some scary things at ranges also,i.e. the indoor action league at OBRPC.Who monitors shooters at the OBRPC outdoor range during weekdays? C'mon, I've seen crazy stuff there also.Actually the OBRPC indoor range is opened 24/7 who's monitoring that? Your outdoor range never had a way of knowing who's coming and going.Now you're skeptical about a range run by the police? I don't get it.Input from other NJ police ranges open to the public is being studiedby EB.Do you really think the police are going to let people run wild if the range opens. Are you concerned that if this range opens OBRPC will lose members.You guys still have the outdoor range and you clean up on all the steel matches thats your bread and butter.I had the feeling Dave owned a range or was an active member of a nearby club.He might be the guy who runs the PPC league at OBRPC.With so much anti gun sentiment in this state I wish everyone would stick together on this, alot of people are working hard on this issue.Lets stay positive, I trust the EB council and police are very capable of doing the right thing.

I'm not saying that the EB range would be run rampant. I am wondering who would be running it. If a police officer is assigned to it (or maybe a rotating duty) that is fine with me. I would hope for the EB taxpayers that people would be charged a fee to use it to pay for the officer(s) running things there, plus any equipment, clean-up expenses, whatever....

I seriously doubt Old Bridge or Jackson would lose any members over this.

We have cameras inside OB, just like any other indoor range I have ever been to. You are not going to get-away with much for long at any of these indoor ranges. Now the outdoor ranges, I have no idea who does what or who watches whom.....

I have only used the outdoor range at Old Bridge once so far, had no issues there and saw nothing unsafe taking-place, but there are a lot of pits to use and I did not walk-around looking to see who was doing what.

If you are a member of a club and see something unsafe taking-place then it is your right and your duty to say something about it. It is for your safety as well as anyone else around. Maybe the person(s) doing something incorrectly don't even know they did something wrong.

I'm not saying that the EB range would be run rampant. I am wondering who would be running it. If a police officer is assigned to it (or maybe a rotating duty) that is fine with me. I would hope for the EB taxpayers that people would be charged a fee to use it to pay for the officer(s) running things there, plus any equipment, clean-up expenses, whatever....

I seriously doubt Old Bridge or Jackson would lose any members over this.

We have cameras inside OB, just like any other indoor range I have ever been to. You are not going to get-away with much for long at any of these indoor ranges. Now the outdoor ranges, I have no idea who does what or who watches whom.....

I have only used the outdoor range at Old Bridge once so far, had no issues there and saw nothing unsafe taking-place, but there are a lot of pits to use and I did not walk-around looking to see who was doing what.

If you are a member of a club and see something unsafe taking-place then it is your right and your duty to say something about it. It is for your safety as well as anyone else around. Maybe the person(s) doing something incorrectly don't even know they did something wrong.

I'm glad Old Bridge finally got indoor cameras, it must be just the last few years.Anyway lets hope EB becomes a reality.

Mike,

Yeah, the internet is really something else! You better be careful, as you've sided with me on the list of issues that needed addressed over the last two years, for you now may incur the wrath of S&W39 too, LOL!

As far as OBR&PC goes, we have eyes everywhere, so we're O-K. And our Indoor Action League turns-away some of our own members, advising them to get more familiar with their equipment and it's operation prior to entering our friendly competition. We also offer friendly advice on what to do, buy, etc. That's why we have such a good safety record (but you know this already Mike).

As for this EB range, I think that any place that wants to help newbies learn to shoot is a good thing. But I'd be willing to bet that the hourly rates will have to be more than at SS or BA cause those two ranges don't have to pay a $60K-$100K salary & benefits package for a Police Officer to be the R-O! So that means that the Forum Members and the public will have to just SUCK IT UP and pay what's necessary so that on paper, the place can at least "break-even"! In the economy we now have, you know some of the El-Cheapos that shoot will be bitching about the difference that they will be asked to pay, "that somebody's watching their every move", that the rules are too strict, etc. I can almost see it in a thread now! How many R-O's they'll need will depend upon the hours that they're open and other factors. Then there's the public relations aspect of a media event to be handled. Like spending money fixing-up the range so that none of the AD's from over the years can be seen. And then does every whackado get to shoot or is there some sort of multi-hour orientation that the public must pass (NRA First Steps?) before they're allowed to use the range, and if so who gets paid to run that?

I sincerely wish this new endeavor well and look forward to shooting beside some of the safe shooters that they'll produce.

And to S&W39: "Sticking together on this one" is a great idea, so how about an apology for the sarcasm & name calling? After-all, you want me to be on your side, right?

Take care Mike & see you soon!

Dave

• Like 2

Dave, you guys (and gals) at Old Bridge are all-about safety first! When I went to your PPC event I watched the first session to learn what you were all doing. Then you stood right beside me and Alec and made sure we did everything safely. Trying to learn to drop brand-new $30 mags on the floor and treat them as a "turd" was a strange lesson to me, but I understand why (from a safety aspect).

I watched a verteran shooter get DQ'd outdoors without ever firing a single shot one day due to the way he drew his weapon from the holster.

Safety is the #1 Priority at Old Bridge, I have seen it myself. Yes, people get-away with things that RO's may not see, but their fellow-shooters see what happens and do call them out. It is always done in a friendly manner though, not confrontational.

• Like 1

Smokin50 whats your deal with the negativity you keep throwing at EB range.There are plenty of whackos at your club also,so whats your point.You keep injecting negativity towards this whole plan.Whats your motive for painting bleak scenarios?Are you so concerned or are you trying to be discouraging?Do you think the cost of joining at EB would cost more than OBRPC? I have a great idea, if EB opens up you don't have to use it.Some shooters like to have choices.You're becoming a bore.

• Like 1