njitmetal

How do you transport guns, mags and ammo to the range?

How do you guys transport when going to the range?

I usually have my ammo in boxes or loaded mags in .30 cal cans (no locks on them)

Rifles will be in soft cases, unlocked.

Pistols will be in either softcases (pistol rugs) or Factory hardcases (again unlocked)

If I'm only shooting pistols, I'll use my Midway Range bag and put the softcased pistols in the bag along with boxes of ammo and/or loaded mags.

This is all just placed in the trunk of my car which is "locked" in that you can't open it from the outside of the car without the fob.

Do I actually have to literally lock my ammo and guns when in transit or am I good to go? I figure I'm good to go because it is all locked in my trunk - inaccessible to me, the driver.

What are your methods of transport?

You are fine. I would do the same if I had a lockable trunk. Instead, my firearms go in hard cases, usually locked just because. Most of my ammo and magazines go either in a range bag or ammo cans, depending on what I'm shooting and how much ammo I am bringing. If I have my pelican case, it has cutouts for some magazines, those magazines stay in that, usually loaded. It is easier that way.

Someone please correct me if Im wrong but in NJ you SHOULDN'T be transporting with loaded magazines even if they are seperate from the guns. Again, I maybe wrong but I was always under the impression that in the crappy republic of NJ loaded magazines were a no no.

-Scott

you are wrong :sarcastichand:

Thanks for the correction Paul. Learn something new everyday. Thats one of the things I love about this site. Most of the members know how to politely tell you if your wrong and guide you in the right direction. Thanks again, you always have good info.

-Scott

• Like 1

For my understanding you CAN'T transport loaded magazines because they are considered a part of the gun, so a LEO would say that is loaded and get you in trouble (A cop told me this)

<_<

128816193246706286.jpg

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

• Like 1

I was told by a Gun For Hire instructor that it was illegal to have loaded magazines even though they were in a separate container than the pistol. I can't imagine how it coukd be illegal. What's the worst you could do with a loaded magazine without the rest of the pistol? Use it to make a punch hurt more?

I carry my SD9 in the GunVault Micro that came with it as part of the home defense kit. I carry my Ruger 22/45 in the plastic case it came in. I carry my ammo, ears and eyes in a Pelican case with no foam. I plan on getting foam for the Pelican case that would allow me to carry both pistols and all my mags and then use a separate case for my ammo.

• Like 1

I was told that you had to transport the ammunition and firearms in separate vehicles that must be kept at least 3 car lengths apart and that the firing pins had to be removed, magazines disassembled, and the barrels filled with toothpaste or else it was illegal. I heard this from a LEO and a firearm instructor. I also heard hollow points were illegal and you could only obtain them by having them shipped via train to the nearest train station, the shuttled to your house via horse drawn carriage.

• Like 4

I was told that you had to transport the ammunition and firearms in separate vehicles that must be kept at least 3 car lengths apart and that the firing pins had to be removed, magazines disassembled, and the barrels filled with toothpaste or else it was illegal. I heard this from a LEO and a firearm instructor. I also heard hollow points were illegal and you could only obtain them by having them shipped via train to the nearest train station, the shuttled to your house via horse drawn carriage.

I had a Detective Sergeant tell me it was 5 car lengths.

• Like 1

classic! :sarcastichand::sarcastichand:

Well done! I was going to mention that I have heard from a few sources that loaded mags are considered loaded guns in NJ, based on a decision in a court case. But since I can't cite the case, I hereby retract my statement. :icon_e_confused:

For my understanding you CAN'T transport loaded magazines because they are considered a part of the gun, so a LEO would say that is loaded and get you in trouble (A cop told me this)

<_<

And a cop (PK90) just told you otherwise.

njitmetal, you're good to go.

Evan Nappen had a case that he will discuss in an upcoming GFH Radio show. Because the magazine is considered part of the gun a loaded one with no gun present can be construed as a loaded gun! Ah NJ. He advises that magazines should be kept empty when transporting for added legal protection. Believe it or not it Is not the same for speed loaders or speed strips because they are not part of the gun. We advise ALL of our students as an added measure to keep mags empty when transporting based on Nappens input.

Evan Napoen had a case that he will discuss in an upcoming GFH Radio show. Because the magazine is considered part of the gun a loaded one with no gun present can be construed as a loaded gun! Ah NJ. He advises that magazines should be kept empty when transporting for added legal protection. Believe it or not it Is not the same for speed loaders or speed strips because they are not part of the gun. We advise ALL of our students as an added measure to keep mags empty when transporting based on Nappens input.

fair enough... but I would be willing to bet there is a laundry list of additional "facts" in said case where a magazine was considered a gun... I am also willing to place a sizable amount of money on the following..

*any "non prohibited" individual who has in his possession several loaded magazines traveling within the state with a firearm as allowed by law, would not encounter any issues while having said magazines should he encounter LEO for any reason..*

preloading multiple magazines is a huge range convenience.. so unless cold hard fact dictates that I can not.. I will continue to travel with them... but hey I appreciate your response to this thread.. the only thing I would ad is Evan is an excellent authority on the law.. but he is NOT the law.. if you want to error on the side of caution and recommend things like unloaded mags.. then by all means recommend them.. but make sure that individuals know it is a RECOMMENDATION and NOT the actual law.. there is nothing wrong with being cautious.. but one thing we do not need more of is confusion?

fair enough... but I would be willing to bet there is a laundry list of additional "facts" in said case where a magazine was considered a gun... I am also willing to place a sizable amount of money on the following..

*any "non prohibited" individual who has in his possession several loaded magazines traveling within the state with a firearm as allowed by law, would not encounter any issues while having said magazines should he encounter LEO for any reason..*

preloading multiple magazines is a huge range convenience.. so unless cold hard fact dictates that I can not.. I will continue to travel with them... but hey I appreciate your response to this thread.. the only thing I would ad is Evan is an excellent authority on the law.. but he is NOT the law.. if you want to error on the side of caution and recommend things like unloaded mags.. then by all means recommend them.. but make sure that individuals know it is a RECOMMENDATION and NOT the actual law.. there is nothing wrong with being cautious.. but one thing we do not need more of is confusion?

Oh I agree with you there must be more details and we shall see. Gotta love NJ!

I guess I'll just travel with them unloaded. It's not that huge of a deal to me to load at the range. Itll help me moderate the number of rounds i shoot! :)

I agree with you...sad but true I rather travel with unloaded magazines and have less of an issue if one occurs then legally travel with loaded magazines and fight the uphill battle.

I agree that our rights in this crappy state are being hindered day after day but I am not the one to go to jail for the cause. This day n age I personally have too much to loose. If this was 10yrs ago I would say screw it I will roll the dice, but now a days I am not willing to take that risk. Sad but true...hence the reason I want to get out of NJ!

-Scott

Agreed to all four of the previous posts. It is hardly ever a bad thing to err on the side of caution, I just didn't want others to think they have to legally.

I can't see how a loaded magazine in any way could constitute a loaded firearm unless that magazine was actually inserted into the firearm. Then even without a round chambered, I could see that as being construed as loaded.

Which leads me to another question. Does NJ have a definition of loaded? I know the term is defined in various states and depending on the state can mean different things. If I had to wager, it probably isn't defined in NJ, so it is left up to the powers to be to make it mean whatever they feel like it at that moment. So with that said, I retract my previous statement about not understanding how a loaded magazine (not in a firearm) could be considered a loaded firearm.

The bar is lowered everytime someone accepts something that is not law and just follows along because something might be construed as unlawful.

Examples:

Ammunition must be seperate from the firearm when transporting.

Magpul PRS stocks are collapsible.

All AK types are illegal.

You can't use a gun not registered to you while in your home.

You can't leave the state with your handgun unless it is for one of the exemptions.

Etc....

The law is there for you to read and follow. By all means, comply fully with it. One has to interpret it and decide how far one is willing to go that extra step. BUT, everyone suffers in the long run.

• Like 2

Paul,

I am with you 100% but we live in a police State with arbitrary gun laws that are designed to entrap law abiding citizens so it is always better to be extra cautious. If everyone was to get off there a** and become as active as they should be NJ might be in a different position. When you were on the job and you discovered a knife on someone you could make the decision how to or how not to charge based on the persons attitude, etc. This is a police State and until the masses wake up mobilize we are screwed.

• Like 1

Loaded mags have been spoken about for years now, so this subject is nothing new to me. As far as I'm concerned, I travel with mine unloaded, just to be on the "safe side". It also helps me to not put additional wear on mag springs when I leave a mag loaded too long, so there is some practical benefit to just being "careful".

The bar is lowered everytime someone accepts something that is not law and just follows along because something might be construed as unlawful.

Examples:

Ammunition must be seperate from the firearm when transporting.

Magpul PRS stocks are collapsible.

All AK types are illegal.

You can't use a gun not registered to you while in your home.

You can't leave the state with your handgun unless it is for one of the exemptions.

Etc....

The law is there for you to read and follow. By all means, comply fully with it. One has to interpret it and decide how far one is willing to go that extra step. BUT, everyone suffers in the long run.

you are starting to sound like me.. I have stated time and time again who is the biggest enemy of NJ gun rights...