njitmetal

How do you transport guns, mags and ammo to the range?

Loaded mags have been spoken about for years now, so this subject is nothing new to me. As far as I'm concerned, I travel with mine unloaded, just to be on the "safe side". It also helps me to not put additional wear on mag springs when I leave a mag loaded too long, so there is some practical benefit to just being "careful".

springs wear out by being cycled.. not compressed.. as much as that may not make sense.. it is in fact the case as far as I have been told..

The bar is lowered everytime someone accepts something that is not law and just follows along because something might be construed as unlawful.

Examples:

Ammunition must be seperate from the firearm when transporting.

Magpul PRS stocks are collapsible.

All AK types are illegal.

You can't use a gun not registered to you while in your home.

You can't leave the state with your handgun unless it is for one of the exemptions.

Etc....

The law is there for you to read and follow. By all means, comply fully with it. One has to interpret it and decide how far one is willing to go that extra step. BUT, everyone suffers in the long run.

Paul,

I agree completely, in pricipal. But when it comes right down to it, if I get pulled over by a PO who himself doesn't know the laws then I'm screwed, if even temporarily until real facts are sorted out. Like a previous poster said, there is just too much to lose to push a silly point about loaded mags. Of all the oppresive laws in NJ, traveling with loaded mags won't make me feel "free" or unrestricted... it's pretty trivial in the end. I wish things weren't this way. I'd love to be the hero or the martyr but I'll let one of you folks have the privelege.

Like I said, I agree with you (and respect your knowledge of the law)but don't see the harm (for me) in just waiting til I get to the range to load up. :)

Paul,

I agree completely, in pricipal. But when it comes right down to it, if I get pulled over by a PO who himself doesn't know the laws then I'm screwed, if even temporarily until real facts are sorted out. Like a previous poster said, there is just too much to lose to push a silly point about loaded mags. Of all the oppresive laws in NJ, traveling with loaded mags won't make me feel "free" or unrestricted... it's pretty trivial in the end. I wish things weren't this way. I'd love to be the hero or the martyr but I'll let one of you folks have the privelege.

Like I said, I agree with you (and respect your knowledge of the law)but don't see the harm (for me) in just waiting til I get to the range to load up. :)

there are enough regular laws and regulations to go around...

worrying about laws that do not exist is futile...

in fact... it is almost paranoia..

springs wear out by being cycled.. not compressed.. as much as that may not make sense.. it is in fact the case as far as I have been told..

I respectfully disagree. I am the victim of leaving a mag loaded for a long period of time. The mag was hardly used, but yet developed a "memory" of being compressed for an extended period of time. The last round in the mag would jam or not feed at all. I changed the spring and the problem was fixed. For my HD auto, I always rotate my mags now and no longer suffer the consequence of not doing so......

Dave

I respectfully disagree. I am the victim of leaving a mag loaded for a long period of time. The mag was hardly used, but yet developed a "memory" of being compressed for an extended period of time. The last round in the mag would jam or not feed at all. I changed the spring and the problem was fixed. For my HD auto, I always rotate my mags now and no longer suffer the consequence of not doing so......

Dave

springe.jpg

Sorry, I just can't drink the Koolaid on this one. You're quoting me something out of a book. I on the other hand have been shooting longer than you've been on the planet, and this mag was practically brand new before it was left loaded for a long time by me, so my first-person experience trumps the book. Mind you that I harbor no ill will towards this Digest or you, and please don't be offended. The Author's OPINION is what's highlighted. That means this whole thing is what he THINKS causes weakened springs, whereas I had to replace a new spring that had little use from being cycled.

I'm not trying to create a "situation" between us, so let's just agree to disagree on this one, O-K?

Dave

Sorry, I just can't drink the Koolaid on this one. You're quoting me something out of a book.

I tried to resist, honestly, I did.

http://www.acewirespring.com/Images/properties_of_common_spring_materials.pdf

Notice the compressive duration ratings?

i travel to the range with my firearm, ammo, and magazines all in the same bag, just in different compartments.

As long as you don't drive like an a-hole, you really shouldn't get pulled over. And if you do get pulled over, why would the topic even come up that you have a gun in the car? unless of course you're acting all nervous and shady. I'd tell him i'm going to a friend's house (keep the answers simple). And if he asked to search your car (again, i don't know how bad the situation is to get this far into the stop where you and your car gets searched) and sees the guns, just say you were on your way to pick up your friend so you can go shooting at a range.

certain states have defined the magazine as being part of the weapon. NJ does not! In order for the gun to be considered loaded it must have a round physically inside it. I personally use a carry bag for ammo which fits inside my bag where the guns are located.

I think the problem is the laws are unclear and you may have an officer that arrests you and figures you can sort things out at the police station. If you think the police know the laws, in my town, Parsippany, a 19-year old was arrested and taken to the police station and charged with the illegal possession of a firearm for an AIR SOFT pistol. That's right AIR SOFT, not a pellet pistol. I go along with the "better safe than sorry crowd" in this state (PRNJ).

PS: Here's the article if you think I am full of it: http://parsippany.patch.com/articles/lake-hiawatha-man-with-airsoft-pistol-charged-with-handgun-possession

The ironic part is he had a loaded magazine!

i travel to the range with my firearm, ammo, and magazines all in the same bag, just in different compartments.

As long as you don't drive like an a-hole, you really shouldn't get pulled over. And if you do get pulled over, why would the topic even come up that you have a gun in the car? unless of course you're acting all nervous and shady. I'd tell him i'm going to a friend's house (keep the answers simple). And if he asked to search your car (again, i don't know how bad the situation is to get this far into the stop where you and your car gets searched) and sees the guns, just say you were on your way to pick up your friend so you can go shooting at a range.

This is why it's better to say nothing anqd never consent to a search as per Evan Nappen. The law says you have to go to and from the range without unnecessary deviations. If you said you were going to pick up your friend, you just admitted you were going to break the law. Plus, lying to a police office is a crime. I think it's called interferring with the administration of justice.

Disclaimer: I could be totally wrong here. Always seek legal advice from an attorney.

The law says you have to go to and from the range without unnecessary deviations. If you said you were going to pick up your friend, you just admitted you were going to break the law.

Disclaimer: I could be totally wrong here. Always seek legal advice from an attorney.

So, who decides what's considered "unnecessary deviations"? if a friend lives 20 miles south of you, and your home range is 20 miles north of your home, is that an unnecessary deviation? i should be able to drive anywhere to pick up a friend and go drive to the range of my choice anywhere.

So, who decides what's considered "unnecessary deviations"? if a friend lives 20 miles south of you, and your home range is 20 miles north of your home, is that an unnecessary deviation? i should be able to drive anywhere to pick up a friend and go drive to the range of my choice anywhere.

My guess is the jury at your trial.

You would be better off, in this hypothetical scenario, driving to your friend's house, picking them up, driving back to your house to get your gun(s), and then driving to the range. If everything were in a straight line, more or less, there wouldn't be any difference in mileage.

initially the police officer.... if that doesn't work out... then the state.. and if that doesn't work out.. a jury of your peers..

if you are going to a range.. and your friend is also.. and picking him up is 20 minutes outside of the normal trip.. I think most normal people would find that reasonable.. if your friend is 4 hours away.. then they would likely not find it reasonable...

is it reasonable to pick up your friend and drive back home.. and then to the range? if that will take an extra hour and a half.. then I would say it is far more reasonable to pick him up on the way....

\when laws are vague.. it is all about what an average normal person would perceive.. because worst case scenario (jury) thats whos opinion matters..