mikeyboyeee

What's your fav .40?

.40 guns I've owned... Beretta Centurian 96, Gen3 G22, CZ75SA, M&PF, Gen4 G23

.40 guns I've fired other than owning... Sig P229/P226/P239, Gen3 G23, Beretta PX Storm, XDM, USP40 F & C.

Of them all, I like the Sig P229 and Gen4 G23. My buddy owns the P229 and it is a superb .40 pistol. Only downside is that it's heavy. The Gen4 G23 that I recently picked up is really nice as well. Those subtle ergo differnces, new texture and dual recoil spring turn it from a snappy, hard to control pistol, to a perfectly ergo'd (for me) pistol that tames the .40 snap just enough to be controlable. I also find the Gen4 easier to be accurate on.

Have to say, I've been lukewarm on the .40 for awhile. The Gen4 G23 rekindled my .40 love. Seriously thinking of a Gen4 G22 or G35 now.

The original 40, before it became Short and Weak - 10mm.

Chris:

The "original" 10mm was the Bren Ten (even though only very limited production was achieved - and no production magazines saw the light of day), it was for this gun that Col. Jeff Cooper designed the cartridge. And if you really think about it the .41 magnum (1964) preceded that by almost 20 years - and there was the .41 Colt before that (although I don't know the actual bullet diameter of that cartridge).

Just sayin'.....

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Chris:

The "original" 10mm was the Bren Ten (even though only very limited production was achieved - and no production magazines saw the light of day), it was for this gun that Col. Jeff Cooper designed the cartridge. And if you really think about it the .41 magnum (1964) preceded that by almost 20 years - and there was the .41 Colt before that (although I don't know the actual bullet diameter of that cartridge).

Just sayin'.....

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Hey Bob,

I was actually going for the caliber when I made my post. The picture was just because I own a 1066. 10mm was the first autoloading 40 caliber round. 41mag and even 44mag (.429") can make the claim on being the first 40 caliber handgun rounds though. The Dornaus Bren Ten is the Holy Grail of 10mm fanboys. I am on the list for VLTOR's new Bren Ten that has supposed to have been released for two years now. It is looking a lot like vaporware though.

I like my Glock 23 (gen ?), but I can't really say I love it. I have a couple of other HG's (in 9mm) that are more fun to shoot.

Is anyone familiar with the M&P's in .40? In particular, are they less snappy than the earlier G23's?

Greetings OGG,

Yes, the M&P40 provides less snap than pre-Gen4 G23's. Having both an M&P40 and a Gen4 G23, I'd say they are very similar. I'd go out on a limb and say the Gen4 G23 has slightly less snap, but I think that's because the Gen4 G23 fits my hands better. I've shot my Gen4 G23 against my buddy's Gen2 G23 w/ Hartz recoil reducer and we both agreed the Gen4 handles the snap of the .40 better.

I have permits coming, one of which is spoken for (M&P45). I'm contemplating a Gen4 G22 or G35, since I'm so impressed w/ the Gen4 G23. Let me know if you'd like to do a comparison. I shoot at the Bullet Hole and will be there the Saturday after Labor Day.