Sign in to follow this  
J201

Operation Fast and Furious

Hey guys,

I want to preface this by saying I don't want this to turn into your views on our current administration. This isn't meant to be political, so lets try and keep it away from politics. We all have our opinions of this administration, right wrong or indifferent. My question is with this scandal involving operation Fast and Furious. I'm sure most of you guys are aware of what has gone on, but for those who are not, here is a little bit of background. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Fast_and_Furious .

How do you guys feel this will impact the gun owners of America? I have two schools of thought on this, the first of which, is that this will have a negative impact, and this will be held against us and support the anti gun movement as so many gun related stories are. However in recent days, my opinion has been shifting. This story has been getting a lot of attention from the media, and for once, they are highlighting the fact that these guns were purchased illegally. What really helps our cause, however, is that they are emphasizing the fact that these gun sellers did back ground checks are would not have sold these guns, if not for the ATF forcing them to do otherwise. I think the American people are being shown that these gun shops DO in fact do their jobs and work to enforce gun laws, and that the problem doesn't lay with the gun shops, but rather with a handful of government officials responsible for initiating this.

So what are views? What do you think this will do for us? It seems like republicans are *TYPICALLY* pro gun, and democrats are *TYPICALLY* anti-gun, and it seems encouraging that we have people from both sides actually doing their jobs and conducting a seemingly intelligent and in depth investigation into this, which will hopefully promote common sense legislation from these people.

Jim

There's a big white box at the top right of your screen with the word Search... try that first please.

repost.

While I appreciate your enthusiasm in your reply, the search terms "Fast" and "Furious" return a handful of threads, most of which contain little intelligent discussion, but plenty of complaints or comments that, while pretty funny, don't really provide any insight. My question was posed in such a way so that it would stimulate some interesting discussion. Of the ~6 or so threads that came up, none of them were specifically relevant to my question, and so I asked it. Im not sure if your reading comprehension is sub-par, or you just like to beat up on people who mainly come on here to read posts, but it wouldn't kill you to be civil.

• Like 1

While I appreciate your enthusiasm in your reply, the search terms "Fast" and "Furious" return a handful of threads, most of which contain little intelligent discussion, but plenty of complaints or comments that, while pretty funny, don't really provide any insight. My question was posed in such a way so that it would stimulate some interesting discussion. Of the ~6 or so threads that came up, none of them were specifically relevant to my question, and so I asked it. Im not sure if your reading comprehension is sub-par, or you just like to beat up on people who mainly come on here to read posts, but it wouldn't kill you to be civil.

it IS political, it was a blatant attempt to create a situation that would "Force" the administration to implement sweeping Gun Control... Unfortunately for the Administration, the FFL's who were being pilloried in the media had enough and fought back, exposing that they had attempted to report these straw purchases, and were ORDERED to allow them to go through. It was a criminal act perpetrated by the USDOJ, that caused the deaths of Mexican Citizens as well as US Citizens and LEO's in both Mexico AND the US. The Antis are very openly ignoring the TRUTH of Gunrunner/F&F and still trying to spin it their way.

• Like 1

It's not going to change anything. Americans have been exposed to so much scandal by our elected officials that nothing surprises us anymore. I do believe this thing brewing in the backround for awhile has prevented our current administration from pushing for any significant stricter federal gun control laws. I also hope that if the fecal matter does go through the rotary cooling device, Eric Holder gets left holding the bag on this one. :roulette:

I think it will make it easier for us to buy guns in Mexico than in NJ... oh wait.. it is probably already like that..

but as far as a serious reply...

as far as the impact? law abiding gun owners did nothing wrong.. some of the buyers were prohibited people who should not have even been allowed to purchase.. the government is never accountable for anything.. so don't expect much there.. but you have a situation where the government ALLOWED the WRONG thing to happen... I fail to see how that could reflect poorly onto gun owners..

It was a criminal act perpetrated by the USDOJ, that caused the deaths of Mexican Citizens as well as US Citizens and LEO's in both Mexico AND the US.

[/thread]

it portrays the government as crooked and unaccountable.... end of story..

• Like 1

I am somewhat hopeful that the people that dreamed this up and implemented it will get convicted of some crime, but who knows. The run of the mill lifer bureaucrats would never have made waves like this, its all political appointees' doing. It's also a very illustrative example of how a Big Government Conspiracy (9/11 Truthers, JFK assassination, space aliens, etc.) comes apart---too many people know or are involved in some way, and many can see that they will be the ones left holding the bag, as the top guys/girls get all the credit/glory and the dupes do the time.

I chalk it up to naked ambition along with the bumbling ineptitude that is the hallmark of the Obama Administration thus far. At the very least, it will stifle any big gun control efforts for some time, IMHO--

Blame me for being suspicious of trolls and troll like behavior if you must.

The facts are:

You have selected a name that antis often use on sites such as this.

This was your first post...

If you had an opinion, you could have posted it in any of the other ~6 "unintelligent" threads, no one would have considered it "off topic"

You really don't have a strong opinion and you fail to mention that the vast majority of the media is not vindicating the gun dealers nor are they vilifying the Justice Department. Don't worry, this crisis will be used by the current administration to their advantage.

As for impact - I think it will impact us negatively as all events do in NJ.

So yeah - I'm skeptical of you. I AM from NJ...

Blame me for being suspicious of trolls and troll like behavior if you must.

The facts are:

You have selected a name that antis often use on sites such as this.

This was your first post...

If you had an opinion, you could have posted it in any of the other ~6 "unintelligent" threads, no one would have considered it "off topic"

You really don't have a strong opinion and you fail to mention that the vast majority of the media is not vindicating the gun dealers nor are they vilifying the Justice Department. Don't worry, this crisis will be used by the current administration to their advantage.

As for impact - I think it will impact us negatively as all events do in NJ.

So yeah - I'm skeptical of you. I AM from NJ...

Im at Rutgers/New Brunswick. I'll meet you there anytime. And no, I don't have a "strong" opinion as to this, I clearly stated my opinion has been shifting in recent days.

Also, if anybody is interested, the "official" report came out yesterday.

http://grassley.senate.gov/judiciary/upload/ATF-07-26-11-Report-on-Impact-on-Mexico-2.pdf