Prax

Anyone have a non-resident FL, VA, and/or Utah CCW?

I live in the Trenton area so I'm close to Bristol, PA and there's a facility there that gives courses for 31, 33, 35 state CCW... basically you pay them to take NRA safety courses (Utah is separate from the FL/VA), they help you with all the paperwork, and then you just mail the documents yourself... I'm thinking of just doing the FL/VA since that will let me carry in 33 states (not including this lib craphole of course) but it's better than nothing... anyone do this course by any chance? It'd be nice to CCW when I'm traveling out of state in PA, VA for example.

Plenty of us have them here.....

and just to be clear.... Florida does not designate between Resident and Non-Resident on their permit.... Virginia does....

Oh, ok good to know. I understand there is some kind of shooting test at the end of the instruction to get certification... any idea how accurate I have to be? LOL I'm fairly new and have fired mostly glocks (which is what I am buying) but they say that they provide the gun/ammo for the shooting portion... I was hoping to just get these ccw's out of the way since they're good for a few years each.

I did a similar course for Utah, it was well run and nicely done. Everythig was done by the time I left, photo, finger prints, notorizing, all I had to do was write a check and pay for postage (the envelope was already addressed). The Utah class had an optional live fire to meet other state requirements. The instructor wanted to see that people could safely handle a gun and could hit a target, he wasn't concerned with pinpoint accuracy.

Oh, ok good to know. I understand there is some kind of shooting test at the end of the instruction to get certification... any idea how accurate I have to be? LOL I'm fairly new and have fired mostly glocks (which is what I am buying) but they say that they provide the gun/ammo for the shooting portion... I was hoping to just get these ccw's out of the way since they're good for a few years each.

FL, VA, UT and AZ - gazillions of us have these permits. There are several vendors here in the forum - notably but not exclusively GAPP and GunForHire - who provide all the training paperwork etc, plus insight from an NJ gun owner perspective. This latter point is key and I thoroughly recommend you get training/paperwork from someone in NJ for that reason alone.

Regarding carry in general, please pay careful attention to the legal aspects of CCW and the ramifications of being involved in a shooting before you decide to carry. Remember that the laws in states that allow CCW have individual quirks burps and gurgles that you need to be aware of.

Finally, please consider getting training (as opposed to permits) for CCW. Again, several vendors here in the forum - notably but not exclusively ShootNJ and GunForHire (and disclosure, I am one of the ShootNJ Instructors) - offer a range of courses, including the NRA ones. Look at them, consider them, take them over time.

Good luck and happy shooting!

G

• Like 1

Take a look at AZ. They are very fast. I mailed my application and had my permit in about 5 business days IIRC, it was amazing. It was the time for mailing back and forth. Normally they can take up to two calendar weeks, or sometimes up to a month in rare cases. Which is still pretty darn good.

They accept DD214 as training, and I think any hunter training course that involves live fire. They also accept any NRA course. Last time I looked, that is. There seemed to be a little confusion about it last time I looked.

EDIT: The only bad part is AZ will not cover a Jersey dude in FL. FL does not recognize non-res permits except for their own non-res permit.

I will follow up and find out, however your best best, go to an NJ2AS meeting. GunforHire does a table at the meetings for you to get everything out of the way for the course, and most of all, only $25 if you are an NJ2as member, or $50 if you are not. This includes your paperwork, finger prints, photo, and notary. All you need is the firearms training requirement which can be completed a number of ways.

Take a look at AZ. They are very fast. I mailed my application and had my permit in about 5 business days IIRC, it was amazing. It was the time for mailing back and forth. Normally they can take up to two calendar weeks, or sometimes up to a month in rare cases. Which is still pretty darn good.

They accept DD214 as training, and I think any hunter training course that involves live fire. They also accept any NRA course. Last time I looked, that is. There seemed to be a little confusion about it last time I looked.

EDIT: The only bad part is AZ will not cover a Jersey dude in FL. FL does not recognize non-res permits except for their own non-res permit.

This. if you don't need the coverage in FL, AZ is the way to go. It's half the cost of the FL license initially, and 1/3 the cost for renewals. The law say hunter safety and any NRA class...doesn't specify live fire...yet. Or if you have a license from another state...that will suffice.

Anyone have a non-resident FL, VA, and/or Utah CCW?

I have FL but there is no "non-resident".. a permit is a permit is a permit.. (res or non-res) is only relevant in some states that ONLY honor it if obtained through your home state..

flccwvladtepes.jpg

this is good stuff, here is the link to get the Florida application.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/FORMS/FormsRequest790.html

Arizona

http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/Forms/

they both will have to mail the packet as they both require fingerprints. FL required prints be done by LEO, AZ doesn't care who does them.

One of the reasons I have multiple states is they each have different dates that they expire and also different years, so for piece of mine if I ever forgot to renew would still have at least another 1 or 2 states covering me, just one reason I keep multiple states.

Harry

Also, if you are going to be spending a lot of time in another state on a regular basis, it might make sense just to go ahead and get a license from that state even if you are already covered by another state. Might cause less of a delay if you run into LEO. Plus, the Gun Free School Zone B.S.

Personally, I don't really believe in the Gun Free School Zone stuff. I doubt local police are pinching people for being in school zones on out of state licenses very often. But, it can't hurt to get a license from a state you spend a lot of time in.

Also, if you are going to be spending a lot of time in another state on a regular basis, it might make sense just to go ahead and get a license from that state even if you are already covered by another state. Might cause less of a delay if you run into LEO. Plus, the Gun Free School Zone B.S.

Personally, I don't really believe in the Gun Free School Zone stuff. I doubt local police are pinching people for being in school zones on out of state licenses very often. But, it can't hurt to get a license from a state you spend a lot of time in.

When I move to PA I plan to get the actual PA LTCF as soon as I have a permanent residence.. but there is no way to get one prior to having permanent residency? I ask not so much out of any urgency to get it.. but simply because I know I will be there at some point and would like to be carrying on a PA LTCF as opposed to FL... but I figured I would probably need a PA DL?

When I move to PA I plan to get the actual PA LTCF as soon as I have a permanent residence.. but there is no way to get one prior to having permanent residency? I ask not so much out of any urgency to get it.. but simply because I know I will be there at some point and would like to be carrying on a PA LTCF as opposed to FL... but I figured I would probably need a PA DL?

Well, if you are going to live in a state (or Commonwealth), it definitely makes sense to have a license from that state.

For you, the answer is, probably not. PA gives non-res permits only to people that have permits from their own state, if their own state does indeed issue permits. It may be a joke, but NJ does issue permits, so you need to have an NJ permit as an NJ resident to get a non-resident PA LTCF.

Well, if you are going to live in a state (or Commonwealth), it definitely makes sense to have a license from that state.

For you, the answer is, probably not. PA gives non-res permits only to people that have permits from their own state, if their own state does indeed issue permits. It may be a joke, but NJ does issue permits, so you need to have an NJ permit as an NJ resident to get a non-resident PA LTCF.

no worries then I will just wait till I move..

carry on FL until I get back my PA.. where I am moving it should literally be a non issue anyway..

I live in the Trenton area so I'm close to Bristol, PA and there's a facility there that gives courses for 31, 33, 35 state CCW... basically you pay them to take NRA safety courses (Utah is separate from the FL/VA), they help you with all the paperwork, and then you just mail the documents yourself... I'm thinking of just doing the FL/VA since that will let me carry in 33 states (not including this lib craphole of course) but it's better than nothing... anyone do this course by any chance? It'd be nice to CCW when I'm traveling out of state in PA, VA for example.

I'm pretty sure I went to the same course you are planning to do and I would recommend go to see one of the forum vendors. I know they are a little more expensive and further away, but it's worth it. My class had close to 60 people in. It was pure chaos. It was overcrowded, disorganized and took 3x the amount of time it was suppose to. I wouldn't do it again.

I have Florida, Arizona, Virginia & Maine! I need to take a class before I can get CT!

What did you use for training to get the other 4? CT probably accepts the same training.

I'm pretty sure I went to the same course you are planning to do and I would recommend go to see one of the forum vendors. I know they are a little more expensive and further away, but it's worth it. My class had close to 60 people in. It was pure chaos. It was overcrowded, disorganized and took 3x the amount of time it was suppose to. I wouldn't do it again.

I would recommend going ANYWHERE else than the guy in Bristol...assuming it is Eimer. I can't find the PAFOA thread now...but not too long ago on his website he had it that FL was no longer accepting the DD214. When asked about his source for that info all he would reply back with was "check with FL." FL had no such change.

ETA: Found it

I used my 1st Steps cert for the other ones. CT require the actual handgun class, not 1st steps.

Yeah...CT won't accept that one. I'm surprised FL did though...they want range time for NRA courses as well.