82ndAbnRVN

Transportation Question 3

Looking for thoughts on the proper method for transorting a handgun in an SUV . . .

I transport mine in the cargo compartment in a combination locked steel handgun case. Ammo and mags are in a range bag in the rear passenger seat.

Would it be acceptable to place the locked handgun case in the range bag and put the bag in the cargo area?

Any other suggestions or advice are appreciated.

Thanks!

Yes! The farther away the gun is from your Gorilla Arms, the better. Having to jump-over fixed rear seats to get to the gun is better than reaching behind your seat in the eyes of the law.

Dave

No issue at all. I believe as long as the pistol and ammo are seperated, your gtg. I transport with everything in the back of the suv.

I usually have my ammo in a seperate pocket of my range bag, with my pistol in another pocket of the range bag.

Gun not loaded is all...

Harry

I agree with one exception.... I am pretty sure the gun should be "inaccessible"

ideally in a trunk.. but if no trunk exists.. then locked in some capacity (just the gun not ammo.. unloaded.. ammo can be separate or not, but is not relevant to complying with the law)

the reason I say that is there is obviously a line.. where at some point the gun is "too close" as in "readily accessible"

Yes, accessibility is the lynch-pin. That's why putting your range bag on the back seat or floor in the back seat isn't exactly a great idea. With a simple reach you have access. Thus my Gorilla Arms comment previously. In a pick-up, the gun should be as far away from you as you can reasonably store it, I.E.: behind the back seat in a pick-up or in the storage area near the floor away from the driver. Now if the pick-up has a watertight cap, the firearms should be transported in the bed area instead of the crew compartment.