palkema

Shooting without FID Card

Nope she does not need it.

Here's a NJ statute to read for fun:

2C:58-3.1. Temporary transfer of firearms

1. a. Notwithstanding the provisions of N.J.S.2C:39-9, N.J.S.2C:58-2, N.J.S.2C:58-3 or any other statute to the contrary concerning the transfer or disposition of firearms, the legal owner, or a dealer licensed under N.J.S.2C:58-2, may temporarily transfer a handgun, rifleor shotgun to another person who is 18 years of age or older, whether or not the person receiving the firearm holds a firearms purchaser identification card or a permit to carry a handgun. The person to whom a handgun, rifle or shotgun is temporarily transferred by the legal owner of the firearm or a licensed dealer may receive, possess, carry and use that handgun, rifle or shotgun, if the transfer is made upon a firing range operated by a licensed dealer, by a law enforcement agency, a legally recognized military organization or a rifle or pistol club which has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent and annually submits to the superintendent a list of its members and if the firearm is received, possessed, carried and used for the sole purpose of target practice, trap or skeet shooting, or competition upon that firing range or instruction and training at any location.

A transfer under this subsection shall be for not more than eight consecutive hours in any 24-hour period and may be made for a set fee or an hourly charge.

The firearm shall be handled and used by the person to whom it is temporarily transferred only in the actual presence or under the direct supervision of the legal owner of the firearm, the dealer who transferred the firearm or any other person competent to supervise the handling and use of firearms and authorized to act for that purpose by the legal owner or licensed dealer. The legal owner of the firearm or the licensed dealer shall be on the premises or the property of the firing range during the entire time that the firearm is in the possession of the person to whom it is temporarily transferred.

Oh, and WELCOME TO THE BOARD!

• Like 1

Hi,

I recently got my FID card and was wondering if I wanted to take my wife out shooting at a range, does she need an FID card to shoot or should she be fine since she'll be with me and I have one.

Thanks,

Paul

It's a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card . You don't even need one to own a gun.

So as BRaptor said taking wife to the range and letting her shoot is Good to Go.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2011 at 11:09 AM, palkema said:

Hi,

I recently got my FID card and was wondering if I wanted to take my wife out shooting at a range, does she need an FID card to shoot or should she be fine since she'll be with me and I have one.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul I think your wife needs gun training and a NJ FID Card because it's better to be safe than to pay the price for accidents that'll cost both of you. I'm a NJ FID Card holder for 6 years now and I shoot a lot on Sundays for 6 years going on 7 years I have 12 years experience from the full time overseas Army I know about putting bullets in people's bodies because my body suffered the same faith bro in Iraq and Northern Korea, it's your choice. good day.

• Disagree 3

18 minutes ago, Jay Jay said:

Hi Paul I think your wife needs gun training and a NJ FID Card because it's better to be safe than to pay the price for accidents that'll cost both of you. I'm a NJ FID Card holder for 6 years now and I shoot a lot on Sundays for 6 years going on 7 years I have 12 years experience from the full time overseas Army I know about putting bullets in people's bodies because my body suffered the same faith bro in Iraq and Northern Korea, it's your choice. good day.

Hi Jay Jay! Welcome to the forum.  I think the OP got his answer about 8 years ago!  You do NOT need that stupid card to shoot. Only to buy in the PRNJ!

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Jay Jay said:

okay Paul and I'll stick my NJ FID and Carrying permit sir. 

You have a NJ carry permit? Not likely unless your a cop. 

1 hour ago, Jay Jay said:

I see different she must possess a NJ FID Card and gun training like I do since the U.S. Army in which I'm trained for carrying and shooting why put a powerful weapon in a person's hand without mentally being prepared. 

What law are you seeing that says someone must possess a FID card and have training to shoot? 

5 hours ago, Jay Jay said:

Thank you for your service.

As someone who took the oath to defend the constitution you would surely appreciate people wanting to trample rights... including the 2nd Amendment.

I am all for encouraging firearms training,  but "should" does not mean "must".

6 hours ago, Jay Jay said:

I see different she must possess a NJ FID Card and gun training like I do since the U.S. Army in which I'm trained for carrying and shooting why put a powerful weapon in a person's hand without mentally being prepared. 

Much like I do not require you to take and show proof of public speaking and grammar classes before posting on this community,  it is very silly for a gun owner to suggest someone must possess an NJ FID card to shoot, especially when it is 100% wrong!

You need an FID card to PURCHASE in NJ.  However, if one spouse has FID and brings family member to shoot, they do not need an FID especially if they are merely shooting with you.

Or I suppose we need to have our kids get an FID card too before they ever pick up one of our guns? lol.

Again on the gun training... quite silly again.

Better yet, do I need gun training if I am merely collecting firearms?  And who is to say what training is enough?

How do you know that the OP may not be a former Operator who is now an NRA Instructor and is a USPSA Grand Master shooter?

We do have all types of community members here, lots of veterans, many LEO, mostly conservatives, some liberal but most definitely many open minded individuals.  Just trying to understand your point of view because from what we have seen over the past 10 years,  something is getting lost in translation.   OR at the very least, people do not revive posts from 10 years ago to make their first replies... A good place would be to make an introduction post introducing yourself to the community here...

https://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/forum/67-introductions/

• Agree 1

Maks.  You are a gentleman.   With my age.  I have less patience daily with ignorance.   Maybe i should work on that.  Hmm.  Iraq and north korea?   Really.  12 yrs in the US army.  Holes all over his story.  Jay jay.  Please post something that will make me apologize to you.  I would be more than happy to make amends.  

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

Maks.  You are a gentleman.   With my age.  I have less patience daily with ignorance.   Maybe i should work on that.  Hmm.  Iraq and north korea?   Really.  12 yrs in the US army.  Holes all over his story.  Jay jay.  Please post something that will make me apologize to you.  I would be more than happy to make amends.  

The north korea part got me too... then read "Northern Korea" so somewhere near DMZ... but yes...a few things getting lost between the original message and actually typed...

Possible that he is quite elderly as we do have a few 80+ members as well. 

Next thing ya know some idiot will say going door-to-door raiding the collections of folks with macular degeneration is appropriate cause "if it only saves one chiilun'" we should violate 2A rights over it!

People really need to wrap their heads around the fact that SOME gun rights are actually PROPERTY RIGHTS.

Blind people can own car collections AND guns.  The Constitution isn't nullified for quadriplegics.

Show me where rights of INDIVIDUALS are limited in the Constitution.....over 40 years ago, when I was in HS, I was taught that the USCON limited our GOVERNMENT, NOT US!

"DON'T FEED THE TROLLS" is about where I'm at.

Rosey

Jay Jay’s comment reads to me like someone from a different country who learned everything they know about NJ gun laws and gun culture from 5 minutes of googling and is “grooming” their user account on NJGF so they can unleash spam at some point.

It’s been the case with the last 2 years-old-thread resurrections.

10 hours ago, Maksim said:

Possible that he is quite elderly as we do have a few 80+ members as well. 

More possibly he is a troll. Members here need to back away from their keyboards when a new poster shows up, and let this new poster establish some posting history, to see if they're legit...

Too many here are too quick to the draw...

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

More possibly he is a troll. Members here need to back away from their keyboards when a new poster shows up, and let this new poster establish some posting history, to see if they're legit...

Too many here are too quick to the draw...

Jay Jay profile:

Joined 20 hours ago

Last on 19 hours ago

The definition of a hit n run troll

• Like 1