Sign in to follow this  
SMT85

Making the Sully stock better. pics

dont know if this is the right section for this if not i apologize.

sorry if their is to much reading, the pics explain it all more or less.

i am no gunsmith but just another civilian shooter trying to improve.

in hoping that one day someone would release a great fixed carbine length stock that i would like

but no one seems to have done that yet. i dont want to pin a collapsible for my own reasons and prefer the feel of a fixed stock.

( i have an ace entry feels cheap to me imo not saying that it is but that is my preference)

some that lurk in the ar15 section may have seen my sully stock in the pictures thread.

i had cut it up to save weight, while this is my preference some may find it useful for their application as well.

heres some pics of the cut out and sanding i did.

IMG_03821.jpg

IMG_02811.jpg

now, anyone that has this stock knows that the butt of the stock has a very slick checkered pattern on it

that gets slippery being the polished type polymer plastic material it is.

for me this is far from ideal. some like it but not me.

i have issues with the stock sliding around when wearing a chest rig and it slides all over the shoulder strap.

i have looked online and couldnt really find anything that would help witht the issue. i thought about skateboard tape

but wanted something that was apart of the stock.

i run the stock with the extended butt plate. so i did some thinking and took it off and went into the garage to begin.

i found an old rubber car mat in the garage that looked useful, colored the back of the stock with pencil and pressed it on paper to get a pattern.

cut it out and ended up with this.

IMG_06811.jpg

its about 1/4 thick

iphone789.jpg

i wanted it to recess in the stock so i grabbed the extended butt plate put her in the vice grabbed a dremmel with a cutting wheel an went to work.

iphone782.jpg

checkered it

iphone783.jpg

chiseled it out

iphone788.jpg

iphone787.jpg

sanded the edges of my rubber pad and back side of my rubber pad

iphone794.jpg

used some clear liquid nail after using rubbing alcohol to clean everything and dropped her in

iphone796.jpg

• Like 1

iphone795.jpg

let it sit over night with weight to apply pressure

iphone797.jpg

next day took it out of the vice. some excess liqid nal oozed out a little tried to clean it up the best i could but not really a big deal.

i accomplished what i wanted to accomplish. put her back on the stock. problem was solved, i now have a rubber butt pad with out adding length to the stock.

iphone801.jpg

iphone802.jpg

iphone803.jpg

im happy with the end result and am confident its not peeling off or coming out unless i cut it out.

the liquid nail is set and it feels great when shouldering the weapon. no more sliding around for me.

hope someone finds this usefull and maybe can give someone a way or an idea on how to improve their sully stock if they have the same issues.

• Like 1

( i have an ace entry feels cheap to me imo not saying that it is but that is my preference)

I have this stock.. and mine feels like it is capable of smashing through a door.. can you elaborate on what you mean by cheap? I am just curious because compared to all the plastic stocks I have handled.. the ACE is by far the most durable.. so I am just curious as to how we have such dramatically different opinions.. I could understand if you just didn't like it.. but you saying it feels cheap has me worried.. and maybe concerned that you are aware of some weak point I am not..

I have this stock.. and mine feels like it is capable of smashing through a door.. can you elaborate on what you mean by cheap? I am just curious because compared to all the plastic stocks I have handled.. the ACE is by far the most durable.. so I am just curious as to how we have such dramatically different opinions.. I could understand if you just didn't like it.. but you saying it feels cheap has me worried.. and maybe concerned that you are aware of some weak point I am not..

cheap may have been the wrong word to use being as every one sees cheap as something different.

i think the foam cheek piece can be easily torn,wear easily,foam gets in the way of charging handle when new, i dont like that the stock just uses the foam to protect the buffer tube and is just cheesy imo. and i dont care for how the extended rubber recoil pad is attached. i feel like they didnt leave enough meat for the screws to grab and can be ripped off etc.

alot of people have them here and like them and thats great. im not trying to bash the stock and put any other on a pedestal above it because they all have issues when it comes to personal preferences by different people.

cheap may have been the wrong word to use being as every one sees cheap as something different.

i think the foam cheek piece can be easily torn,wear easily,foam gets in the way of charging handle when new, i dont like that the stock just uses the foam to protect the buffer tube and is just cheesy imo. and i dont care for how the extended rubber recoil pad is attached. i feel like they didnt leave enough meat for the screws to grab and can be ripped off etc.

alot of people have them here and like them and thats great. im not trying to bash the stock and put any other on a pedestal above it because they all have issues when it comes to personal preferences by different people.

fair enough..

the foam IS terrible.. I did not use mine.. replaced with para-cord.. never had an issue..

while everyone's experience is going to be different.. I can tell you I am VERY rough on my gear and the pad was never a problem..

the cut out you did looks really good.. and like I said was not knocking your mod.. just wanted some clarification on what you meant in regards to the ace..

thanks guys i appreciate the compliments.

no big deal, i completely understand where your coming from on the ace stock.

sorry if i made something sound like its not.

no worries you did a really really clean job shaving that thing.. I am impressed..