Zell959

Are FFP reticles beneficial/detrimental/moot at known distances?

I'm still pretty green with a lot of subjects regarding firearms, and optics are one of them.

So, I've been in research mode for a new scope I'm looking to eventually buy and use on a Remington 700 in .308 [that I also haven't bought yet because I need a change of address on my FID].

Anyway, some of the scopes I've been looking at have slightly more expensive models available that include first focal plane reticles. I've read about what they are and understand the surface level basics. Reticle grows & shrinks based on magnification and remains constant in size relative to the target.

It sounds really cool, but what I'm not really sure of is whether or not it's something worth getting for the shooting I'm going to do. My primary range is Cherry Ridge, so I'm going to be using the scope for shooting at 50, 100, 200 & 300 yards. Given that I'm generally not shooting over an unknown distance, is there any benefit to a FFP reticle? Without ever having had a lot of scopes, or a long range shooting background, I don't really have a full appreciation for when something like a FFP reticle is and is not useful.

If you are only shooting known distance and not shooting any movers or performing any ranging functions.... then it doesnt sound like it holds any benefit for you. In fact, if your just benching it all the time, you dont even need a mildot reticle. With that being said you might find yourself snared into wanting to be able to do more tacticle type shooting and less bench type shooting once you get out there in which case you will wish you did.

If you are only shooting known distance and not shooting any movers or performing any ranging functions.... then it doesnt sound like it holds any benefit for you. In fact, if your just benching it all the time, you dont even need a mildot reticle. With that being said you might find yourself snared into wanting to be able to do more tacticle type shooting and less bench type shooting once you get out there in which case you will wish you did.

Thank you for the feedback.

So, perhaps I don't look to spend the extra money on a FFP, but I do opt for a scope that at least has mil dot reticle and/or comparable increments built in for ranging? Here are some scopes I'm considering at present:

Sightron SII Big Sky

http://swfa.com/Sightron-6-24x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9172.aspx

Sightron SIII

http://swfa.com/Sightron-6-24x50-SIII-30mm-Riflescope-P9151.aspx

Trijicon Accupoint

http://swfa.com/Trijicon-25-10x56-Accu-Point-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P12880.aspx

Vortex PST

http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Viper-PST-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P44564.aspx

I like the price point of the SII Big Sky the most, but I have this nagging voice in my head that's keeps saying "you get what you pay for" and leads me to think I should pony up a little bit more. The Trijion I'm looking at is a bit of an apples to oranges because it's got lower magnification than the other three, but I like the accupoint line based on my experience with the 1-4x TR24 on my AR, yet can't quite swing the price point of the 5-20 Accupoint.

Again,

Had to do some reading on the whole reticle vs. adjustment increments, but I follow now. Make sense, and I could definetly warm up to the Viper PST. The one I linked to is actually their less expensive non-FFP model. The same scope but with a FFP reticle would be $150 more.