Today was the first outing with my brand new Marlin 795. I shot about 200 rounds or so, with the occasional fte. This same thing happened to my Marlin 60 last year, but it eventually got over it, so I was not too concerned.

A few times, the bolt did not close all the way on a round and I needed to assist it forward.

I pull the trigger, something sounds weird, and I see a shell that had a fte. It was barely stuck in the bolt so I flicked it free. The bolt went forward, I aim, pull and then, this happened (see photo).

Shell on left is the one that failed to eject. The shell on the right is the one that followed. Ammo is American Eagle by Federal.

I am new to this, but I am guessing that the bolt was not fully in battery but far enough along to drop the hammer. I knew not to continue shooting as a bullet may be stuck in the barrel, and sure enough, 3 inches from the muzzle is the bullet. I can't budge it and don't want to deal with it.

Now I get to send my new rifle back to Marlin in NY.

Not feeling very good about the rifle. After the ejecting and jamming issues my 60 had, and now this, I may try a lever or bolt gun next.

post-2278-0-67386400-1313088504_thumb.jpg

My 795 has never been terribly reliable. Out of a brick (525 rounds) I've had maybe 10-15 FTE's. On a .22 that I'm just using for plinking, it's not that bad.....but it doesn't put much of my confidence in the rifle. Let us know how it goes.

I've had dozens of these with my Spike's .22 upper and sometimes I see a little fireworks or gotten a little burned here or there but never anything that even required a bandaid. I'm not saying it's OK or safe. I'm saying it personally doesn't bother me. But I'm also shooting a firearm heavily modified for use far beyond its originally intended purpose and 10x its design spec. If it were anything other than .22 I would take it more seriously… for a moment or two ;)

• Like 1

Glad that this didn't have a worse outcome, like an injury.

Absolutely contact Marlin and include the photo. It also may have been the ammo, which is something they might say. What the hey, might as well CC everything to Federal also.

I did the wrong thing after buying my 795 and shot it out of the box. Had all kinds of failures. Did a full strip, clean lube and reassemble and it shoots fine now.

It's hard to say the ammo is bad, but rather your gun may not like that type of ammo. I haven't herd of cci being more reliable then federal, but i have herd that it is more consistent and shoot better groups. If you have trouble with any firearm and ammo, best bet is to try another type. I use the federal bulk in my Mark III and it goes bang every time, but i have herd numbers of issues people have with it in other guns.

Which AE ammo are you using? I don't use the HP ammo to avoid feeding issues.

It does sound like an issue with the rifle tho if your having both fte and ftf.

I cleaned it thoroughly before shooting. I also used some 400 grit on the bolt. It was super rough in certain spots. Lets see if Mr. marlin has an issue with that.

I was using lead round nose AEs. My other guns, including my 60, seem to like the federal stuff. They all like CCI, but I balk at $10 per 100.

I will ship the gun out on Monday and keep you all posted of the results. I do like the rifle and have already bought too much stuff for it. I am hoping they can get up and running properly.

Never liked Federal ammo in any of my guns. The only ftf/fte I've experienced have been with Federal. Try CCI Blazer - great stuff. Watch Dunns (http://www.shopdunns.com/products/Ammunition/37/1//) for their case specials - $159 including shipping, no tax. You'll have it in 2 days. Only thing I use now in my 22's.

Never liked Federal ammo in any of my guns. The only ft/fte I've experienced have been with Federal. Try CCI Blazer - great stuff. Watch Dunns (http://www.shopdunns...munition/37/1//) for their case specials - $159 including shipping, no tax. You'll have it in 2 days. Only thing I use now in my 22's.

I always keep an eye out for that deal, isn't been a few months now that they had it for that price, was nice bought a case of 22LR 2 times for $159 so I have some stock at home, but the best I have seen lately is 189 or in that ballpark, still not bad total price when you factor in shipping from other places.

Harry

Update...

UPS guy came today with a brandy new in the box 795. Old rifle was too busted to fix. That is pretty decent service if you ask me. Of course, the 795 probably only costs Marlin about $26 to make, but I am pleased. Now off to shoot it and hope for the best.

Update...

UPS guy came today with a brandy new in the box 795. Old rifle was too busted to fix. That is pretty decent service if you ask me. Of course, the 795 probably only costs Marlin about $26 to make, but I am pleased. Now off to shoot it and hope for the best.

New one with a different serial? :blind:

Use better ammo like CCI's.

Reviving an old thread here, but I have to agree on this one... I have used nothing but CCI Mini-Mag's in my Marlin 795 and haven't had a single problem. The rifle shoots like a dream and is super accurate... Never had a single FTE or FTF in over 1000 rounds.

They all like CCI, but I balk at $10 per 100.

You can get CCI mini-mags for about $35 per 500... And if you find any deals, can probably find for less than that. I know it's not the cheapest, but the rifle will shoot great and will be very accurate.

I only have problems with my 795 when using cheap ammo.

No problems with Federal Bulk, 525 or 325 pack through both on my 795's and I haven't done any work on them either, and they are HP's also..

Could be luck of the draw with a 100 dollar gun anyway, but any 22LR ammo that doesn't fire right get tossed in my golden 39A bag of ammo and she fires it'

UPS guy came today with a brandy new in the box 795.

Your UPS guy brought you booze? :icon_mrgreen:

I know you can get super-cheap $20 bulk Federal or Remington 22s, and I've shot quite a bit of it myself. But the cost to get excellent 22 ammo is only $10 more per 500. If you shoot 500 rounds per week, every week, for one year, your ammo bill is $1,000 or so shooting bulk and $1,500 shooting near match grade ammo. For me, it's worth it.