Sign in to follow this  
MedicYeti

Suggestions, family activities with 2 year old.

I'm looking for ideas for things my wife and I can do with our 2 year old son. Outdoor and indoor activities in the south/central NJ area. We live 2 miles from the Cape May County Zoo and spend a lot of time there. We also bring him to the boardwalks and piers in the county quite often. We have done Wheaton Village a few times. This week will likely consist of Batsto and an Aquarium (AC or Camden). This exhausts my ideas for the area. I know there are many parents on te forum so I'm looking for new ideas to add to my activity list. Thanks. Ron

I second storybook land.

Also, the cowtown rodeo in Salem County is awesome for kids. I took my son a few years back and he still talks about. Camping nearby, too.

The Surflight Theatre in Beach Haven used to have kids plays during the day in the summer. Follow a show with the ice cream shop next door, an evening of rides at Fantasy Island and Burgers at Buckalew's. Ah, Buckalews. Many a wasted evening........

Keep away from that rip-off tourist trap Sesame Place...Its outrageously expensive to get in...and they will charge adults full price...even though you arent going to go on any of the friggin kiddy rides...plus most of the rides are not appropriate for a 2 year old....You and your wife and child will spend at least $150 ...and be very dissappointed....ask me how I know... :angry:

Hey dont forget a nice trip to CABELAS !!!!!!!!! The wife could look at the furniture / kitchen stuff , the kids can admire all the animals and you could just happen to re-stock your ammo and gun cabinet !!!!!! ;)

Hey dont forget a nice trip to CABELAS !!!!!!!!! The wife could look at the furniture / kitchen stuff , the kids can admire all the animals and you could just happen to re-stock your ammo and gun cabinet !!!!!! ;)

The wife joking calls you a sexist. She wouldn't mind a Cabelas run so she can restock her own 45 ammo.

Ok, from Anastasia... (she has alot of experience with babies, was a live in nanny)

Are you bored with the places or the kids? Kids actually prefer to go to the same places over and over again. Just the regular stuff, go to playgrounds, hang out, play.

Edit: Petting Zoos

I have (3) of them and your two-year-old just wants to play with you. Get down and dirty in the sandbox with him. Get an electric car that he can move by himself. Get a kiddy pool and a boat. A lot of money isn't necessary. Exotic places aren't going to be that exciting. Make him a rocket out of a soda bottle. Go for a walk. Relax and play with him. Get him Buzz Light Year pajamas and you be Zurg. He probably really doesn't need that much extra stimulation. Go on a picnic.... etc. Just keep moving with him until he gets tired and drops.

Liberty State Park, Staten Island Ferry to Battery Park, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island

If you decide you want to do this Liberty Science Center has a triple header ticket, LSC, Statue of Liberty, and Ellis island for $25 each. Keep in mind that to go into the base or crown of Statue of Liberty thats a special ticket. These tickets are usually not available for months ahead of time.

The Statue of Liberty will be closing in October for at least a year for renovations.

The wife joking calls you a sexist. She wouldn't mind a Cabelas run so she can restock her own 45 ammo.

Hahahaha just joking , actually my wife would be the one looking around upstairs at the kitchen and furniture stuff !! :firstmove:

2 year olds are quite happy doing things with their parents at home or at a playground. They won't remember going to Batsto for that it will be because you were with them. Keeping with the park theme, you can go to Allaire SP, or go apple or other fruit picking. And the good old boardwalk in Wildwood/Seaside. My kids love the crane machines. Or the local playground. My 6,3 & 2 year olds are thrilled with that. You can do a pool in your backyard or go to somene elses. That gets them tired out quick. Best yet, have more kids, they will love playing (and fighting) together!

My 22 month old daughters favorite place is Walmart or Lowes to sit on the lawn mowers lol. They are easily entertained at this age.

Some other places you could go to are North Landz (worlds largest model railroad) in Flemington or Popcorn Park Zoo (petting zoo) in Forked River

The way my schedule works, every other week I can burn 1 vacation day and get 7 off in a row. Every 4 weeks my 7 days off coenside with my wifes 10 day off stretch so we have a lot of time to do things as a family. Our normal activities include Walmart, the Cape May County Zoo, playing on the beach and around the house. We Will hit the big stuff like the Statue of Liberty in a few years when he will remember it. In the mean time some fun and fairly inexpensive places are our goal.

dajonga: we loved the surflight theatre, saw Winnie the Pooh and my little guy loved it.

Thanks.

Thanks for the ideas my friends.

A trip to Knoebels Amusement Park in Elysburg, PA could be fun: lots of stuff there for a child that age, plus free parking, no admission fee (pay as you go rides), arcades, great food and tremendous water park.