Silphidae

Wife wants to learn how to shoot

My wife wants to learn how to shoot and I’m probably not the best person to teach her considering I'm still learning and we’re opposite sexes.

Two questions – any suggestions for a facility that would make my wife feel comfortable for her first training? She’s hasn't shot a lot of handguns and wants to learn the basics of how to shoot from someone qualified. She’s not really into giving up an entire weekend for a two day course so a one day training or even a private training would be great if you have suggestions.

Second question concerns the guns that she should be looking at. She can rack a slide but finds my G17 a little uncomfortable to shoot. She wants something that is simple to operate, lower recoil so she can train with it and not get beat up and is of an appropriate caliber for self defense.

I know she should try a lot of guns before buying, just want to give her a list of 5 or so guns that she can rent to start her on the right track. I'd like her to give both revolvers and semi-automatics a chance before selecting one. If you know that Shore Shot has them for rent, all the better because that’s probably where we’re going to rent from. I had a great experience with them when I was trying out guns for my purchase. Thanks for your help!

I would say if the G17 is a little more than she want AT THIS TIME, I would say pick up a Ruger MK III or similar 22LR handgun. They are very low in regard to recoil, and they are also very very cheap to shoot. Also she will build more confidence shooing a gun she can easily control and keep her more interested in shooting and they will give you more of an opportunity to move up from there.

Ask around, how many guys said, hey Honey you would be great to start with this .45 or 44 because he would also like to shoot that and turn her off from shooting completely.

Harry

Hey Brother,

Women on average have less physical hand strength then men, and often times smaller hands, as well. Most have less upper body strength then their male contemporaries. What that should mean to you is a handgun with a trigger requiring a relatively short reach and having a lighter weight pull. Think something in the single action/ safe action range of weight and travel and preferably in a single stack profile. For training purposes, she'd be very well served learning to shoot on a .22 handgun. Her hands will not be conditioned as a new shooter, and asking her to pull a heavy and long double action trigger, particularly if it's attached to a handgun bearing some weight, will not endear her to shooting. It will quickly fatigue her, and become an exercise is endurance and frustration as she fails to achieve the desired outcome due to the heavy weapon drifting around under fatigue and the heavy trigger being jerked and snapped due to the same fatigue. A lighter single action trigger with a low recoiling caliber in a mid weight handgun will show her that shooting is, or at least can be "fun". As she develops an appreciation her desire for more power will follow. I started my then girlfriend on a .22. Now my wife of many years, she has a Sig Sauer P226 with the short trigger, in 9mm in her night stand and she shoots it very well.

I don't mean this to say that a woman can't shoot or be taught to shoot on a full sized, full power handgun. As a LE Firearms Instructor, I taught several female Officers in the Academy. They learned to shoot our issue H&K USP in .40 S&W, but it wasn't ideal for them by any stretch of the imagination, and many had difficulty picking it up. However, I should note that they also had the motivation of having to learn in order to pass the Academy and get the job; something your better half doesn't...Just some food for thought.

I hope it helps...

Respectfully,

Harry

Two questions – any suggestions for a facility that would make my wife feel comfortable for her first training? She’s hasn't shot a lot of handguns and wants to learn the basics of how to shoot from someone qualified. She’s not really into giving up an entire weekend for a two day course so a one day training or even a private training would be great if you have suggestions.

Second question concerns the guns that she should be looking at. She can rack a slide but finds my G17 a little uncomfortable to shoot. She wants something that is simple to operate, lower recoil so she can train with it and not get beat up and is of an appropriate caliber for self defense.

Gun for Hire has a First Steps program that is targeted to women. This would probably be a good place to start.

As to what gun? I would also recommend a .22 or a .38 special, both of these are fairly easy to

handle and won't scare her from continuing to practice. If you really want a SD gun for first gun go with a 4" .357,

She can learn with the .38 loads (and use them for SD) or later on if she can handle them, use .357 loads.

It will all come down to the gun that "fits" her hand size. The 6" revolver may be a little nose heavy for her. If you are looking at revolvers S&W is the way to go. A 4" K frame with light loads has very, very, low recoil. They have a smoother lighter trigger pull than most others. Charter Arms and Taurus have a trigger pull that is similar to breaking a chicken leg every time you squeeze off a shot. As far a semi autos go she may tire of a 22 real fast if she is into the sport. Since women are usually less interested in mechanical things then men I believe a striker fired pistol is the way to go. The G19 may fit her hand better then the 17. The S&W m&p also has a better trigger in my opinion. If you are on a budget the Ruger SR9 is also very good.

Good Luck

Thanks for the suggestions, she's not a researcher like me so it will be good to giver her a list of "suggestions" to take a look at and make the process a little easier. She can handle herself well so she'll just have to try different size barrels and see how she likes them. I'm trying to stay away from a .22 just because it doesn't really fit the bill for home defense and I just got rid of one. Not really that fun for ME to shoot! I'll contact GFH and see abour thier ladies programs - didn't see it listed on their site. Thanks everyone.

We do not have a dedicated ladies program. We found the ladies did not want to be in one room together! LOL We offer the 4 Hour NRA First Steps class that is co ed with female and male instructors. We also supply a selection of firearms to shoot with the class.

With regards to a .380, most are small guns and tend to kick pretty hard. Remember Anthony's rule for a .380. "If you are going to carry a .380 make sure it is a heavy gun so you can throw it at the bad guy after it is empty". Just Sayin.

Give her a hug for me. My wife and I are arguing night and day since I took up the sport.

That's been my situation as well. Not exactly arguing, but certainly not a topic that I can bring up very often. I would love for her to be interested, and I have a feeling that if I could get her to try it, she might like it.

Thanks for the suggestions, she's not a researcher like me so it will be good to giver her a list of "suggestions" to take a look at and make the process a little easier. She can handle herself well so she'll just have to try different size barrels and see how she likes them. I'm trying to stay away from a .22 just because it doesn't really fit the bill for home defense and I just got rid of one. Not really that fun for ME to shoot! I'll contact GFH and see abour thier ladies programs - didn't see it listed on their site. Thanks everyone.

Just a point of interest for me, is your G17 a fourth gen?

Just a point of interest for me, is your G17 a fourth gen?

Yes, it's the fourth generation. I have the largest grip on it and made it smaller for her to shoot. I'm really happy that she didn't like it - I'd prefer her to have her own so I don't have to mess with changing the grip all the time, even though it's pretty easy to do! It wasn't that she couldn't get a good grip on it, just wasn't very comfortable for her.

She does throw like a girl so maybe we'll skip the .380.

I see. I read it as the felt recoil was the problem. Grip is a little different.

One thing to consider, Most of the people I know that love Glocks dont like the grip on the Sigs and vice versa. Maybe that would be one to try.

Also, how does she rack the slide? Over the top with mostly the palm is easier than with the fingers.

Lastly, although it isn't considered a self defense calibre, see if you can get her hands on a Walther P 22. Those are a hoot.

Also, how does she rack the slide? Over the top with mosty the palm is easier than with the fingers.

Lastly, although it isn't considered a self defense calibre, see if you can get her hands on a Walther P 22. Those are a hoot.

Thats a good point on racking the slide, my wife can rack the slide on my Glock with her fingers but with the palm it's a lot easier. One thing I do with my daughter (12 years old) and wife is when they rack it with there palm, I have them turn there body 90 degrees from down range while holding the muzzle pointed down range and rack it that way. A lot of time with people with less strength and new to shooting they will automatically point the gun 90 degrees to get the leverage and without turning the body they can break the 180 rule and sweep other people.

Now as far as the P22, you your right I sure like shooting mine, but to tell you the truth, my wife has a Ruger MK III Hunter that I like a lot better, just wish I could take it and shoot it when she isn't with me.

Harry

I would say if the G17 is a little more than she want AT THIS TIME, I would say pick up a Ruger MK III or similar 22LR handgun. They are very low in regard to recoil, and they are also very very cheap to shoot. Also she will build more confidence shooing a gun she can easily control and keep her more interested in shooting and they will give you more of an opportunity to move up from there.

Ask around, how many guys said, hey Honey you would be great to start with this .45 or 44 because he would also like to shoot that and turn her off from shooting completely.

Harry

this sure didnt work for me. i really didnt think of it this way . i have all 3 my wife loves to shoot the big guns so much i have a hard time getting them away from her so i can shoot . Bob

this sure didnt work for me. i really didnt think of it this way . i have all 3 my wife loves to shoot the big guns so much i have a hard time getting them away from her so i can shoot . Bob

That's actually a good thing Bob. At least you can enjoy time shooting together, well when she lets you shoot that is, does she make you load them for her while she is shooting??:icon_mrgreen:

Harry

I think a Ruger MKII or MKIII or a quality .22 revolver is the perfect choice, for the reasons everyone else more eloquently stated.

Since I know you said you want to stay away from a .22; I was curious which one did you get rid of, and why?

FWIW, my wife loves MY Ruger. I can't tell you how it is; I never get to shoot it when we're at the range...

That's actually a good thing Bob. At least you can enjoy time shooting together, well when she lets you shoot that is, does she make you load them for her while she is shooting??:icon_mrgreen:

Harry

yes i have to do that also. this one thing she dont want to learn. DUH i mis read that .. I thought it meant reloading .yes it is fun to get the time togather. Bob

I think a Ruger MKII or MKIII or a quality .22 revolver is the perfect choice, for the reasons everyone else more eloquently stated.

Since I know you said you want to stay away from a .22; I was curious which one did you get rid of, and why?

FWIW, my wife loves MY Ruger. I can't tell you how it is; I never get to shoot it when we're at the range...

Sold my Ruger Mark III about a month ago when she really didn't have an interest in shooting. I only shot it 3 times before getting rid of it, just wasn't my cup of tea. We'll definitely put a few .22s in the rental mix, I'm just looking for other guns for her to try as well. Her girlfriend just came home with a S&W 686 that they're going to take out together, we'll see what she decides after a class and a few rentals. I'm pretty sure she'll only buy one gun and I'd like it to be as good as possible for "most purposes". If it ends up a .22 fine, it it's something else even better but I'll let her make the final choice in the end. There have been some good suggestions in this thread so thank you all.

Sold my Ruger Mark III about a month ago when she really didn't have an interest in shooting. I only shot it 3 times before getting rid of it, just wasn't my cup of tea. We'll definitely put a few .22s in the rental mix, I'm just looking for other guns for her to try as well. Her girlfriend just came home with a S&W 686 that they're going to take out together, we'll see what she decides after a class and a few rentals. I'm pretty sure she'll only buy one gun and I'd like it to be as good as possible for "most purposes". If it ends up a .22 fine, it it's something else even better but I'll let her make the final choice in the end. There have been some good suggestions in this thread so thank you all.

To me, you sold one of the nicer 2LR's when you got rid of the MK III but there are many others that can fit the bill. I understand large calibers being a lot more fun to shoot, but 22's can be a lot of fun, and as you know, a lot lot cheaper to shoot also. I may be different but I really like 22LR guns, only have a few, a Marlin 39A, and 2 795's, Walther P22, MK III Hunter and a Taurus wheel gun in about a month from now. Maybe I'm cheap, but 15-20K of 22LR on hand are a lot easer on my wallet then the 5K of 40 S&W in my ammo cabinet. I guess to me one of the reasons I am partial to the 22 is cost if you haven't noticed, If my wife, Daughter and I didn't shoot the 22's and substituted say 9mm, for the same round count of 22 to 9mm I would be have spent probably a grand or more on ammo last month.

They even have USPSA style matches for Rimfire guns to add a little spice if your into that, I will be shooting my first one this Saturday at OBRPC myself, people say some of the most fun you can have with a 22.

One last thing, you mention that she may only get 1 gun, well if she likes it a 22 and than another larger caliber gun is the way to go, Guns are like potato chips, you can't have just 1.

Harry

• Like 1

Thanks, I do love my CZ 452 Varmint and 10/22. My 9 year old daughter and I shoot the heck out of them and have good fun with the metal swinging targets. We typically go through 500 rounds each time we go so I couldn't afford that in a larger caliber. The MkIII just didn't fit me, I'd take it to the range, try to convince myself it was a great gun, shoot 50 rounds and then hate myself for having to clean it with no enjoyment. The g17 is another story, I have to limit myself to 200 rounds when I take it out! Maybe she'll end up with a MKIII but I learned my lesson about trying as many guns as possible before purchasing. I just want her to do the same before she decides.

It is interesting to hear about some many people having such similar experiences with guns I own and not liking them.

I do own a MkIII Hunter and find it so excellent it might be a little boring. That said, I LOVE it!

I also own a third gen Glock 19C. But the economics of the rounds I fire got me into the .22LR pistols and hand loading.

I reload 9mm, I positively love shooting the Mk III. But I have a "shoot for fun but do not introduce bad habits," mantra.

Meaning, I Love the MK III but it can only be charged with the finger tips.

Most SD training I have read describes that the "gross motor skills," of the racking the slide with the full grip of the left hand (for righties) is good practice for if/when you are under a flull blown life/death situation with adrenaline flowing freely. The P22 racks like a home defense pistol.

So the 9mm reloads gives me enough gun time with the Glock without worry of the cost of bullets.

The .22 MKIII is very cheap to shoot and helps shoot no matter what (man I wish I could partake in the "hunter" art of the Mk III hunter).

With that in mind I like the P22 in that you can rack with the palm and shoot cheaply with .22, keeping all that straight in the muscle memory of the new shooter.

Basically, strictlty for the ammunition economics, I think most should have a .22 pistol AND their serious HD handgun of choice. Practice being the most important part of your reaction to a real L/D situation, you don't want to have your practice suffer because your SD gun's ammo is too expansive.

The MkIII just didn't fit me, I'd take it to the range, try to convince myself it was a great gun, shoot 50 rounds and then hate myself for having to clean it with no enjoyment.

I knew it - the cleaning thing :icon_mrgreen: Understand though - some people swear by Glocks while I've tried and just don't get them. Personally I like taking apart the MKIII, but I also enjoy the agony of working on impossible PITA mechanical things, like restoring old cars.

Anyway, if you and your daughter already shoot, sounds like you're ahead of the game. Good luck and I'd like to know what you end up with.

I would suggest she start with a 22.. no recoil and can get some fundamentals down without being intimidted.... my wife got the Sig 229 22lr with a 9mm conversion.. she now shooting a lot of 22s amd then working in the 9mm...alot of the 22's have issues with feeding but this one has been flawless with several types of ammo

I have done a lot of training with Gun for Hire...they are superb and do a great deal with women...

Good luck and enjoy

I train women to use my revolvers. 4" K & L frame S&W in .357 with .38 Spls. They can shoot it double-action if the SHTF or they can have fun and learn to hit a fly's behind on single action. Can't be any simpler, very tame recoil (as was mentioned eons ago by glennp) and you can teach them to swing-out the cylinder and clean it themselves because you don't need hand strength to operate a slide or do a field-strip. It's really a no-brainer and all other discussion is moot once they hit with the .38!

Any other decision is just avoiding the inevitable. Wheelguns are much better trainers, and at 6 rounds in a cylinder, the ammo price isn't bad. More over, it doesn't take more than a box or two to get the average woman deep into the black when she's using a revolver, especially one with the white outline rear sight and the red/orange front ramp. They all seem to get the concept of "put the red front in the white rear and just squeeze". No trigger creep to deal with. No safe-action long pulls to deal with. Just pull the hammer back and touch the trigger. No jams, no stove-pipes from limp-wristing, the list goes on and on.

Once she masters the revolver, you'll find she can more easily transition to anything else.

Dave

I took my girlfriend (now wife) shooting for the first time with my Taurus PT92 9mm shooting 115gr factory rounds. At the time she was really tiny, like 104 lbs. She took to it right away. Don't underestimate women, they are tougher then they look.

Don't underestimate women, they are tougher then they look.

Agreed. As I've told the half-dozen (very liberal) women & husbands that have gone with me & the wife to the shooting range: "Guns are gender neutral: firearms shoot the same no matter if it's a man or woman who pulls the trigger."