Hello, a friend of mine bought a house and moved to NJ from NY a few years back. Along with his furniture he brought with him an air rifle which he owned for about 10 years (hence no paper work). He just found out that they are illegal in NJ if not registered just like a long gun. He has several long guns and pistols purchased and registered in NJ and would obviously like to comply with the air rifle laws. His question is, what would be the process for registering the air rifle in the state if 1. its already here and 2. he has no paperwork for it?

he appreciates and thanks you for your comments.

Hello, a friend of mine bought a house and moved to NJ from NY a few years back. Along with his furniture he brought with him an air rifle which he owned for about 10 years (hence no paper work). He just found out that they are illegal in NJ if not registered just like a long gun. He has several long guns and pistols purchased and registered in NJ and would obviously like to comply with the air rifle laws. His question is, what would be the process for registering the air rifle in the state if 1. its already here and 2. he has no paperwork for it?

he appreciates and thanks you for your comments.

NJ has VOLUNTARY registration of long guns - there is no need to register any gun he bought legally in NY when he was a NY resident providing the guns are not "illegal" in NJ (ie are not prohibited by the assualt weapon ban or are semiautos and have magazines which hold more than 15 rounds).

He needs to do NOTHING to make any of his guns "legal" in NJ.

• Like 1

Your friend is mistaken. There is no long gun registration in New Jersey. He is perfectly within his rights to own the air rifle here. If he were to buy a new rifle or air rifle, he would need to go through NICS. Itcs not the same as a pistol where there is an individual permit attached to that particular gun.

Great news! That rifle was given to him by his wonderful wife as a birthday gift about 19 years ago. has alot of sentimental value and is beautiful gun. "he" will be sooooo happy once i tell "him" the great news.

thank you all!

Not to highjack the thread, but I have a crossman pump-up pellet gun.

I'm assuming it's legal here, though it's internal magazine holds dozens of bbs at once.

I am correct right?

I've always wondered this....

I have always reasoned that an BB gun is a pump rifle and doesnt have an internal mag limit.

I've seen CO2 rifles that are semi-auto, but they have 8 or 6bb holders(forget which), kinda like a full moon clip.

hand guns bought legally dont need to be registered or permited as long as they are not banned here.I dont think you do a nics on air guns or most black powder guns

What handgun is banned in NJ? I'm not sure what your saying about them being legally purchased, maybe i'm missing something... Not sure about the NICS check, but it looks like you dont need one.

What handgun is banned in NJ?

Many. Title 13, Chapter 54. NJAC 13:54-1.2 Definitions:

"Assault firearms" means:

ii. A semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(1) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(2) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;

(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;

(4) Manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded;

and/or (5) A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm;

Not to highjack the thread, but I have a crossman pump-up pellet gun.

I'm assuming it's legal here, though it's internal magazine holds dozens of bbs at once.

I am correct right?

It's legal because it's not semi auto.

There is a federal law that prohibits states from banning airguns outright, so I wonder if NJ can claim semi auto airguns with mag capacity over 15 rounds are illegal. I haven't heard of any cases of this going to court.

ii. A semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(1) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(2) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;

(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;

Based on the above, it should be ok to have a C02 semi-auto BB pistol that holds 20 BB's (loaded in the slide area and not a detachable mag), correct?

So I was at the NJ state fair a few weeks back and this one rip off game was about shooting the star out with an automatic BB air rifle. The gun is attached to an air compressor but it's fully automatic.

Why are these legal? On a federal level, they're legal because they are air rifles...on a NJ level, they seem to be assault weapons.

So I was at the NJ state fair a few weeks back and this one rip off game was about shooting the star out with an automatic BB air rifle. The gun is attached to an air compressor but it's fully automatic.

Why are these legal? On a federal level, they're legal because they are air rifles...on a NJ level, they seem to be assault weapons.

I've asked this before on here, never got an answer.

And those damn things don't shoot straight either!!!

I don't think they are assault weapons. I THINK Machineguns are not considered assault weapons in NJ. Only semi-auto.

They are probably unlicensed machineguns to NJ.

I remember those same games as a kid in NJ.

I would agree with mipafox, if they are considered illegal, it would be because they would be construed as machine guns.

It's possible that federal law is overriding NJ law - but I'm just speculating.

I remember a story told to me by a fellow collegiate rifle coach from NY that it is illegal to discharge an air rifle in NYC proper but they got around it by applying for a carnival permit which provides an exception to this law.  They would renew their carnival license for their collegiate rifle team each year in order to be in compliance.  So I think the carnival apply for an exemption/license for these games.

I don't think they are assault weapons. I THINK Machineguns are not considered assault weapons in NJ. Only semi-auto.

They are probably unlicensed machineguns to NJ.

I know this is old, but let me explain. I read over ten years ago that Nappen got a guy off on a magazine charge because it was for a machinegun, which is not an "assault weapon" under NJ law because it is not semi-auto.

I understand some people here speak with him from time to time. Ask him about it.

So a GLOCK 17 is illegal since a GLOCK 18 is full auto?