n4p226r

so you have two handguns and no competition gear

For a holster just order a blade tech doh (drop and offset) to be done with it and get some cheap kydex double mag pouches. Later on you can order a competition belt but it certainly isn't necessary unless you know you will shoot in more competitions in the future. Get the holster for the 226 and I believe you should also be able to use the 229 in the same holster.

Since you said you are new to handguns and don't have a holster yet I would go with the 226 since is DA only.. If you do get a holster for the 229 be careful keeping it in single action in the holster. The sigs don't have safety's and that gun could go off on its way out. If you keep the hammer down and shoot the first shot in DA you will be good to go... just wanted to let you know..

Since you said you are new to handguns and don't have a holster yet I would go with the 226 since is DA only.. If you do get a holster for the 229 be careful keeping it in single action in the holster. The sigs don't have safety's and that gun could go off on its way out. If you keep the hammer down and shoot the first shot in DA you will be good to go... just wanted to let you know..

What? Please explain yourself, and at what point did the OP list the type of trigger on the 226 or 229

While Sigs do not have an external safety, they do have a decocker. If the holster covers the trigger, and your finger is off the trigger, you will not have issues. The double action on the sigs is pretty long.

In any case, as others have said, get stuff for the 226. It is a great gun, and many many people shoot them in IDPA/USPSA. Just on the forum, Pizza Bob, Bryan, and Jon shot the 226 very well the first time out at USPSA. Jon also made me sell him my Sig 226 USPSA.

What? Please explain yourself, and at what point did the OP list the type of trigger on the 226 or 229

While Sigs do not have an external safety, they do have a decocker. If the holster covers the trigger, and your finger is off the trigger, you will not have issues. The double action on the sigs is pretty long.

In any case, as others have said, get stuff for the 226. It is a great gun, and many many people shoot them in IDPA/USPSA. Just on the forum, Pizza Bob, Bryan, and Jon shot the 226 very well the first time out at USPSA. Jon also made me sell him my Sig 226 USPSA.

Im just trying to give the guy a heads up that a Sig with the hammer back in single action might go off pulling it out of a holster if he's not careful.. He said he was new to handguns and did not have a holster so i can gather its not something he's done a lot.

Im just trying to give the guy a heads up that a Sig with the hammer back in single action might go off pulling it out of a holster if he's not careful.. He said he was new to handguns and did not have a holster so i can gather its not something he's done a lot.

You are not starting in single action from any holster for any event. If the gun is DA/SA, gun is in the holster in DA, USPSA production, unless Limited/Limited10/Open where if the gun is SA and has safety, you start SA with safety on.

Both the 226 and 229 have da/sa, or DAK triggers. A sig expert will come in if there is something I am missing. But unless you seriously messed with the trigger, drawing a gun out of the holster, even in SA will not make it go bang. Pulling the trigger will.

In which case, if your treasure finding finger is in the trigger guard, on the trigger while you are drawing, it will not matter if your gun is SA or DA.

Edit, a P226 is not DA only. The DAO only is the DAK trigger which I personally do not like. However, it very much comes with a DA/SA, a DAK, or the DA/SA SRT (short reset trigger) which I am a big fan of.

wow...this got off topic fast.....:D

i am new to guns but well aware of how to properly handle them. i've had them for about 18 months now and put a few hundred rounds through each.

both sigs i have are exactly the same. DA/SA with decocker and SRT trigger

say you have two guns, a sig p226r in 9mm and a sig p229r in 357 sig. You have very little experience in handguns in general and you'd like to slowly get into the sport. do you buy a holster for the 226 or 229 first?

By sport if you mean practical shooting, ie: USPSA, IDPA, SCSA etc, for cost I would shoot the 9mm in production class. Production is going to get scored in Minor for power factor no matter what caliber you are shooting. I would also practice shooting shooting and being you don't reload I would consider picking up some custom ammo being it's not really that much more and in some cases maybe even a little cheaper than some factory ammo.

Take a look at Ammo they have 9mm in minor that will get you right around 130 power factor, meaning you will have less recoil and easier control for acquiring your next sight picture. I think the 9mm minor is 260 bucks for a case (1000 rounds).

As far as holsters, belts and mag pouches. I would say see what you can scrounge up from friends for a match and see if you like it and get an idea of if you really think you are going to participate in more matches. Some people don't like it but I would say from the people I have met who shot there first match, they are hooked. I'd probably rate that to about 90% who really enjoy it. Now if you find yourself in the 90% bracket, I'd say, pay once and cry once and get good gear, it won;t make you shoot better, sure hasn't worked for me, but having equipment not limiting you will greatly enhance the fun factor and let you concentrate on shooting and not trying to work around inferior equipment than can hold you up.

Harry

wow...this got off topic fast.....:D

I think what may have thrown the thread off topic was the holster comment, and also the mention of sport and that is why my some of the initial responders whet the way they did as well as my post to you above.

Now for just practice at the range you really don't need a holster, actually some ranges may not even like a gun that not of the shooting bench when your not shooting it. However practice, practice, practice a good start and focus on fundamentals of good trigger control and proper grip, but that all comes after proper and safe handling. There are plenty of schools that can help all shooters, from the new first time never held a gun person, to seasoned veteran.

As far as what gun, I'd still stick with the 9mm just for the cost of shooting factor, as you will find out, or may have already, guns are cheap, ammo is what's going to cost money.

FWIW, here's my take on the OP. First, the P226 in 9mm is, without question, the way to go. The P229 in .357 Sig, while a great defensive handgun/caliber combo, is worthless as a competition gun. It has high ammo cost (for non-reloaders) and while factory ammo makes major, USPSA does not recognize a bullet diameter of less than .40 for major caliber designation, so you are dealing with the expense and recoil of a major caliber, but getting scored as minor - this is USPSA we're taliking about, but the same holds true for IDPA where there is no scoring differential and you'd be competing against true minor calibers in the division for which your P229 qualifies.

The good news is that since the P229 is just a compact version of the P226 with identical controls and feel, the muscle memory you build by competing with the P226 will carry over to the P229, should you ever have the need in a defensive situation.

There are two disciplines from which to choose: USPSA and IDPA. For someone just getting into action pistol with little or no equipment, IDPA requires less of it than USPSA. Not sure that is as much of a consideration for you since you already have six mags for the P226 - which is one of the more significant costs.

The Blade-Tech DOH, as was recommended, is a good holster. It can be used, as is, for USPSA and, with the Drop/Offset component removed and the Tech-lok mounted directly to the holster, it can be used for IDPA also. A lot of people use a two-belt system for USPSA - that is an underbelt that gets threaded through your pant's belt keepers and an outer belt on which your holster and mag pouches remain attached with the two joined by a velcro facing. These belts are appx $55 and can only be used in USPSA (although you could utilize the inner belt only for IDPA, if you don't already have a good gun belt). In IDPA your holster and mags must be mounted on the belt threaded through your belt keepers. Also, for USPSA you may carry 5 or more mags on your belt. In IDPA you are limited to two.

You will find that the atmosphere at a shoot of either discipline, is a welcoming, constructive one, Don't be intimidated, just have fun. We are blessed by being in an area where there are numerous competitive events. If you desire, and are willing to travel a little, you can be shooting every weekend. Of course you have to safeguard against that if you have a life :icon_mrgreen:

I'd say come as a spectator, but that is wasted opportunity - bring your gear and dive right in.

BTW - your P226 would shoot in the production division in USPSA and the ESP division in IDPA. There is an IDPA match at SCFGPA this Sunday (8/21).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

See if you can borrow some gear to try out before you buy.

I personally like and recommend Bladetech products.

Like Brian said, get the DOH (dropped offset) with the teklok adapter.

As far as mag pouches go, you can get singles, doubles, and quads. Again go with Bladetech. It has been suggested by many shooters that you have 5-6 mags on your belt for production (single stack as well) so plan accordingly.

You don't need a competition belt in the beginning, but use a sturdy belt. The benefits of a competition belt are that they are super sturdy and allow you to place your gear on the belt and remain in the same place each and every time you use it.

Ask and shop around.