71ragtopgoat

Concealed carry to mail box

Lets say you have a FL and UT concealed carry permit. You also just received your milt sparks VM2 in the mail this week and were wearing your CCW rig with your empty 1911 commander sized 45 around the house to get used to it. The mailman delivers so you walk out to the mailbox and open it. Just then the local PD drives by and sees you are printing (long shot).

Are you going to be in troughble?? Empty gun and chamber+saftey on ??

Empty or loaded. Printing, concealed or open carry. They do not matter. You are allowed to carry loaded on your own property. Is the mailbox on the same side of the street? Do you have to walk across the pavement to get your mail? Did you leave your common sense in bed this morning?

• Like 4

Empty or loaded. Printing, concealed or open carry. They do not matter. You are allowed to carry loaded on your own property. Is the mailbox on the same side of the street? Do you have to walk across the pavement to get your mail? Did you leave your common sense in bed this morning?

In many towns, the 6' or so from the street to some part of your lawn, often including all the sidewalk if you have one, is actually town property and not yours. For example, my front property line is actually around 2' closer to my house than where you might guess if you were to look at where the lawn hits the street.

So, your mailbox could easily not be on your actual property.

I used to cut MY grass on the front lawn on a VERY busy street in North Brunswick.. no one ever pays attention.. and as stated your on YOUR property..

you sound a little tooo paranoid.. going to guess your just askin' because.. you wanted to see how many different answers you'd get.. ^^^^^^^^^^ this is the correct ^^^^^^^^^

Hey, cut him some slack.

This is NJ after all, where just allowing a friend or spouse handle your unloaded pistol in your own home is a crime.

No, it's not. And we've established this quite a few times already. Reader's Digest large print edition so that everyone can read it:

Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.

For the record, here's the sections that the above paragraph exempts you from DIRECTLY:

2C:39-5 Unlawful possession of weapons.

b.Handguns. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any handgun, including any antique handgun, without first having obtained a permit to carry the same as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-4, is guilty of a crime of the third degree if the handgun is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person. Otherwise it is a crime of the second degree.

c.Rifles and shotguns. (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

(2)Unless otherwise permitted by law, any person who knowingly has in his possession any loaded rifle or shotgun is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

d.Other weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any other weapon under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for such lawful uses as it may have is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

I'm not sure how zoning laws work, I know the town/municipality owns or has power over a certain distance from the curb but not sure which or how much, i'm sure it varies. The bottom line is where your mailbox is located... is it on your door? the street? or like mine across the street? All the mailboxes in my neighborhood are on one side of the street. Then, if it falls under your property you safe, if not.. you screwed. On a side note, i dont think anyone would arrest you over exact zoning details, but if your in the street you could have a problem.

I think I'm going to start mowing the lawn with the P220 in a thigh holster and the AR slung across my back. Just for kicks. My one neighbor would probably join me, the other is a staten island transplant, that could be fun. :icon_mrgreen:

Keep an audio recorder on you when you do this, you could probably give the guy from Philly who got taken down by Philly PD for open carrying a run for the money.

The first time I went to Pauls he walked out of his house carrying. I made sure to tell him exactly who I was, I had called him earlier! I, among most people in this state, are not used to seeing ANYBODY except for Police Officers and similar types openly carrying weapons. That is just one of the many facets of being raised in anti-gun NJ.

I now know what the laws are in this state and know that I can carry on my own property if I want to. My one neighbor is totally into guns, not sure of the rest, so I only take the guns from the house to the garage to clean them, I don't walk-around with them, though I like the idea of mowing the lawn with my AK slung across my back! :icon_mrgreen:

• Like 1

I hate it when terrorist ninja pirates try to kill me while I'm checking the mail!

Seriously though, if you're scared to check the mail unarmed, you should probably call a realtor.

The antis use this same argument all the time..."Why would you need a gun at {fill in the location}?" Bad guys don't have a schedule. They can strike anytime, anywhere. :icon_e_wink:

• Like 1

The first time I went to Pauls he walked out of his house carrying. I made sure to tell him exactly who I was, I had called him earlier! I, among most people in this state, are not used to seeing ANYBODY except for Police Officers and similar types openly carrying weapons. That is just one of the many facets of being raised in anti-gun NJ.

I now know what the laws are in this state and know that I can carry on my own property if I want to. My one neighbor is totally into guns, not sure of the rest, so I only take the guns from the house to the garage to clean them, I don't walk-around with them, though I like the idea of mowing the lawn with my AK slung across my back! :icon_mrgreen:

You realize Paul is covered under LEOSA right??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Enforcement_Officers_Safety_Act

This thread is weird.

This thread is good.

Back to the topic I open carry all the time on my own property even to just put out garbage and get mail. Why you ask because only a few miles from where I live there is a big concentration of gangs and gang activity and many of my neighbors in my development have been robbed and the police force here has been cut back by 30% due to budget cuts. My neighbors used to look at me weird but now with how things have changed its welcomed. The PD has seen a increase of almost 300% in application for FID'S and PP's I was told by a lieutenant and he welcomes it as well cause they know they cant be everywhere. The only issue I see with the original post is why was the gun empty.

• Like 1

I think it's about principle. And/or exercising what little rights we do have so they don't get taken away as well.

I fail to see how carrying concealed to and from his mail box will prevent the ability to do so from being taken away.

• Like 1

I hate it when terrorist ninja pirates try to kill me while I'm checking the mail!

Seriously though, if you're scared to check the mail unarmed, you should probably call a realtor.

Not scared just using caution. Remember this is a state where you cant make a stop for coffee when on your way to the range. You also cant take it next door for a friend to take a look at it. And you need a permit for a stinking BB gun !!

I live in a very nice gun friendly place.But the state is not so friendly to gun owners if you have not noticed.

Hey, cut him some slack.

This is NJ after all, where just allowing a friend or spouse handle your unloaded pistol in your own home is a crime.

Handgun owners are especially twitchy legally-speaking...and for good reason.

Ok..I'll play Cite the statute chapter that details this......

I guess I still don't understand the purpose of carrying. You can't legally use it outside of your home to defend yourself, regardless of whether you're allowed to carry on your property or not. Yes, you may be able to use it to distract an attacker, and then retreat inside.....use it outside and you're in for a world of hurt. Honestly, a little bit of caution will go a long way. Know your surroundings. Know what should and shouldn't be in your neighborhood. Keep an extra eye out when you go outside....you'll be fine.

• Like 2