jermz1987

When The SHTF!!

This is a little old and I am sure most have read it. This is an account of a man who went through The Argentina Economy Collapse.

He talks about eveything he needed to do to survive. He covers a lot including firearms, water, food and just what was needed in general to get through the economy collapse. I was surprised by some of it. Its a good read.

http://www.survival-spot.com/survival-blog/argentina-collapse/

• Like 3

When I saw the topic, I was fairly certain it was going to be Ferfal. I bought his book a year or so ago and it has some very interesting information and I can recommend it to anyone.

You can follow him on twitter. http://twitter.com/#!/Fer_FAL He's not one of those super prolific tweeters and I appreciate that. If you search the forums for "ferfal" you can see where others have commented on his information.

• Like 1

When I saw the topic, I was fairly certain it was going to be Ferfal. I bought his book a year or so ago and it has some very interesting information and I can recommend it to anyone.

You can follow him on twitter. http://twitter.com/#!/Fer_FAL He's not one of those super prolific tweeters and I appreciate that. If you search the forums for "ferfal" you can see where others have commented on his information.

+1, thought the same exact thing when I saw this thread in passing right before I headed to bed last night.

Which, btw thanks J, I ended up having a dream about living in a post-apocalyptic US due to a failed economy. Having just woken up from it, I'm still trying to make some sense of it, haha.

As for the documents, I can attest that it is a pretty interesting read. It dismisses "speculation" (like most people who write about this stuff), and focuses on the givens.

Meh... No thanks to buying a .308/7.62NATO, it's way too expensive to stockpile effectively (for me anyways), and most firearms shooting that round tend to be quite heavy.

I like to keep a good combo of 5.56mm and 7.62x39. One is plentiful in our nation and reasonably priced, and the other one is plentiful and dirt cheap. The 7.62x39 can be used in hunting as well. Sure, it's no Remmy 700 bolt action, but you can still hunt most medium sized game with it.

Anyways, it's always good to keep at least two calibers for rifles and handguns... any more and the costs of maintaining stocks for each end up hurting you financially.

Also: buy lots of .22lr, tons of it. It's just so useful for so many things.

As essential and useful the information presented may be to anybody of any country, I do believe strongly that there are caveats that need to be remembered. The one that stands out the most is that Argentina at the turn of the millennium is not the United States. Sure, that's obvious, but it has to be understood at so many different levels. To me, where the information provided lacks is the personal conjecture. Personal conjecture degrades the overall information due to the fact that a lack of relativity is thrown out the window-- whereas relativity is "the devil in the details."

I do agree that the overall aspects of the breakdown of society would be comparative, whether we're talking about the US, Argentina, Greece, Spain, England, etc. The rolling effect of mob mentality is obvious and knows no cultural boundaries, as well as systematic response from first responders/governments. But where I do think the change occurs is at the localized level-- which is where all disasters ultimately have their effect. This is also where people react, whether it's good or bad-- and really what dictates this is, IMO, a person's surroundings (vs. nature)... a type of "normativity" if you will.

So, this leads to the fact that I think Americans, at least as individuals (beyond the mob mentality) would react a bit differently then say an Englishmen, Japanese, or Israeli (all of whom have had a type of incident in the past few years). To me, what differentiates Americans from others is our fierce need to be individuals, and yet somehow having a strong community bond (albeit the latter has degraded since the birth of GWOT). It's an interesting thing to observe, as it is contradictory, and yet makes so much damn sense (at least coming from an American's perspective).

With that said, I still do believe that the information provided in the writing is valuable and an insightful read for anybody interested (or remotely interested) in the topic.

I am halfway through his book. It's a good read, I appreciate his sarcastically blunt remarks around the skills that are really needed during SHTF scenarios.

He did go into extensively saying that although rifles are useful, and how he read all the stuff about "handguns are meant to fight with to get your rifle" type things, but he is is pretty adament about HG, knife, and unarmed fighting skills. He basically says over and over that in almost all cases you will not have your rifle with you (going to work, shopping, etc), and most encounters will be well within HG range.

"A LOT of water has to go under the bridge until the situation gets to a point where you can calmly walk down the street with a rifle on your shoulder. People, if you are interested in real world SHTF situation and you want to prepare for the real deal, then understand that this isn’t black or white. You wake up one day and listen on the radio that the economy collapsed and that the stock market closed indefinitely. What do you do? You still have to go to the office/work/whatever .Kiss the wife good bye and walk to the office with your AR across your back, or across your chest, Israeli style, and ready to shoot? You won’t get far. Someone will shoot you or throw you in jail, or in a mental institution."

what are the good carbine length 308 rifles?

Sa. Socom16