tony357

prepping for hurricane..

started removing things from my garage, claened up low level shelving at marina, gathered up customers dock boxes, pulling customers boats and blocking them in their yards this list will grow over the next two days.

going to put my car in storage or on my property inland.

thinking about caulking the door shut on my gun safe rather than move them all to my moms for the storm which is what i have done in the past.

and all the usual storm stuff... the gen is in t he back of my truck so it is with me all the time.

Viking Marina usually does all that stuff for us although the boats stayed in the water last time the Hurricane blew through...09 or was it 08?

I heard that the storm surge can go up into the parking lot at the Marina but maybe they were just worried that it might, I don't recall.

Yeah, water is your biggest enemy here in Jersey.

It seems this place floods at the slightest rain and the news reporters don't hesistate to squeal about 2 inches of standing water in the road.

I was in south FL for Andrew (1992) and central FL for Charley, Frances and Jeanne (2004). Other than Andrew (landfall with 130 mph winds), rain is the problem. I am doing nothing to prepare for this storm, except, I will avoid parking under any trees and will make sure that I have a fresh 6-pack to last the weekend.

I got a note from my rep, Scott Garret.

Preparing for Hurricane Irene

With Hurricane Irene tracking towards New Jersey this weekend, I wanted to make sure residents of the 5th District were prepared for the storm.

If you haven’t already, I encourage you to visit the American Red Cross’s website to review the precautionary steps you should be taking ahead of the storm. While we may not face the brunt of the storm, that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t prepare for the worst. After all, preparation is the best protection against the dangers of a hurricane as powerful as Irene, which may bring flooding, tornadoes and high winds to North Jersey.

I encourage all 5th District residents to take three quick steps to prepare for Irene: 1. Build a kit; 2. Make a plan; 3. Be informed. In addition, please review the Red Cross’s Hurricane Safety Checklist.

If you need anything at all, please don’t hesitate to contact one of my district offices for assistance.

Sincerely,

(signed)

Scott Garrett

Just in case it turns out to be like Katrina - loading up on Ammo!

Loaded in mag already, 225 rounds of 9mm, 160 of .40 and 48 .380 and plenty of backup. Oh food water and other supplies for a month are on hand, just another normal day at my house.

While the above was said with some joking connotations, we are really looking at this storm, We have our next conference call for a lot of the FAA facilities on the east coast in another 35 minutes but some of our forecasters are saying this may be a good category 2 storm as it passes us and not diminish to a tropical depression until it's well inland through CT into MA.

Tony your doing good, as we do at the airports and other facilities, plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Harry

I tried starting my Genset last weekend and it wouldn't run. I have to drain all the gas out and try some fresh. I wish I knew what I could do with old gas. I have probably 10 gallons of the stuff.

I need a gas burner that will just burn it off.

• Like 1

I've been through four storms in Puerto Rico (Hugo, Marilyn, Hortense, Georges) and three storms in Florida (Charley, Frances, Jeanne), but I never thought I'd be facing a hurricane in Jersey. I guess Irene thinks otherwise...

Alaska is looking real nice right about now...

and just think, im supposed to drive to SC shortly! wtf am I thinking?

now, considering cancelling my vacation! damn!

When are you supposed to leave? If it's today, you're fine. Just get there before mid-day Saturday.

The weather will probably start clearing up by mid-afternoon on Sunday so if you're leaving then, you're fine. If your transit involves being on a road on the Eastern Seaboard after early AM Sat through Noon on Sunday, re-think your path. Obviously, the further south you plan to be, the earlier you have to revise the time. It's scheduled to hit the outer banks NC early to mid day on Saturday so you don't want to be near there.

Wife and I were planning on going to our boat in New Gretna this weekend but we cancelled. The Marina is going to lock everything down today and tomorrow and it looks as if the storm is either going to hit right at Atlantic City or just skim nearby off the coast, but either way, that whole part of NJ is going to be in the shiznit. Our marina is 10 miles north of AC off of Great Bay. It's very sheltered as far as marinas go but it can still get storm surge and wind.

083814W5_NL_sm.gif

• Like 1

I tried starting my Genset last weekend and it wouldn't run. I have to drain all the gas out and try some fresh. I wish I knew what I could do with old gas. I have probably 10 gallons of the stuff.

All gas containers I have have Stabil in them, I do that as soon as I get home from the gas station, I then use that for whatever I use it in, also I use it for my 2-stroke mix also.

Also for vehicles or engines that don't see a lot of use, either for winter storage, or you just don't use them for a while I also run the engine for a while to make sure the gas in the carb and bowl have gas with the Stabil in it. While the gas we have today isn't like it was years ago but you still can have problems.

I would say if it doesn't start with fresh gas right away, pull the bowl and clean as much as you can and try that, if thats a no go, you might need to pull the carb and do a little more detailed job on it.

Hopefully just some fresh gas will get you running.

Harry.

...at what point do windows become a concern?

Cat 3 and you're going to get hit with the eyewall.

Even 20 miles off the eyewall and windows aren't that big of a concern unless it's a 3-4-5 and this will be a 2 when it hits NJ.

Debris can take out anything but if you're inland there's not really that much to worry about.

...at what point do windows become a concern?

Depends on the building code....down in Florida all new construction since Andrew required windows to be able to resist 120 mph winds. The problem is not necessarily the wind, but the crap that starts flying around....a 30 mph wind is enough to pick up debris and slam it through windows rather easily.

All gas containers I have have Stabil in them, I do that as soon as I get home from the gas station, I then use that for whatever I use it in, also I use it for my 2-stroke mix also.

Also for vehicles or engines that don't see a lot of use, either for winter storage, or you just don't use them for a while I also run the engine for a while to make sure the gas in the carb and bowl have gas with the Stabil in it. While the gas we have today isn't like it was years ago but you still can have problems.

I would say if it doesn't start with fresh gas right away, pull the bowl and clean as much as you can and try that, if thats a no go, you might need to pull the carb and do a little more detailed job on it.

Hopefully just some fresh gas will get you running.

Harry.

Yeah, I messed up when I bought the gas last year. I bought it before a big snow storm and the General store was out of Stabil so I planned to do it the next week...and I forgot.

I put a new carb on the Generator last year so I don't think it's messed up. I usually try to run my motors once every month or so but I've been so busy this summer, I don't think I ran the Genny since maybe May and thats with bad gas in it so I suspect it's just crappy gas. I have one full can of it that I don't know what to do with.

Cat 3 and you're going to get hit with the eyewall.

Even 20 miles off the eye-wall and windows aren't that big of a concern unless it's a 3-4-5 and this will be a 2 when it hits NJ.

Debris can take out anything but if you're inland there's not really that much to worry about.

Best part is it looks like all of us in NJ and south of us will be on the East side of the eye wall. the western tip of LI and RI MA may be a different story.

Harry

nothing special just checking on the existing suplies....mostly......Water......

Guarentee up here in Vernon power will be down....again..........

No AC no well pump....

Good thing I have 50Gallons stored for drinking/cooking and another 100 for bathing... decent short term amount....

I call that a "Lawn Mower" usually they will burn the crappiest of the crap.