tony357

prepping for hurricane..

I'm not in a flood zone, so hopefully water wont be too much of an issue. I'm focusing on the necessities..

The insurance companies are probably biting their fingernails off with this one. I sure hope we don't have to use them!

Month of freeze dried food - check

Propane and firewood - check

55 gal drinking water container filled - check

water filtration devices - check

15 gal of gas for the genny, plus all cars filled - check

siphon to get gas out of cars - check

generator working - check

Ham radio working - check

tie down/put away crap in the backyard - will do soon

guns and ammo - do I really have to say?

Wow - I really hope he's wrong!

I'm not in a flood zone, but have enough old trees around me that hurricane force winds are troublesome... :nono:

Wow - I really hope he's wrong!

I'm not in a flood zone, but have enough old trees around me that hurricane force winds are troublesome... :nono:

Yes, those winds are a problem. I imagine my Chainsaw will get some use although the end of the world ice storm we got 3 years ago really cleaned out a ton of stuff.

Watch for the news reports showing people buying 5 loaves of bread, 5 gallons of milk, 50 gallons of water and 200 rolls of toilet paper. As if they're going to subsist on a bread and milk diet and crap themselves dry with dysentery.

The problem I have with this forecast is that the current radar is already showing the center of the storm quite a bit west of the track shown above.

See http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/southeast_loop.php for actual radar data updated every 10 mins.

If it makes land in Savannah GA for instance instead then we will see some rain - whoop dee do.

OMFG!!

ITEOTWAWKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (It's the end of the world as we know it)

http://www.app.com/article/20110825/NJNEWS10/308250042/Hurricane-Irene-heading-straight-New-Jersey?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage

Gov. Chris Christie today declared a state of emergency in New Jersey, clearing the way for state officials to deploy resources, including the National Guard, and other resources to counties and towns.

Look - I know that Hurricanes are nothing to fool around with but don't you think that we're blowing this way out of proportion people?????????

Dan,

Declaring the emergency now allows various resources to get in place and have everything firing on all cylinders before the storm gets here.

If this is like Hazel or 1821, it's going to be a big problem.

If it's nothing, it's nothing. If we didn't prepare and it turns out worse than expected, the damage will be much greater.

I'm gonna try hitting up Coscto tonight. I hope it's not too mobbed!

Edison's Costco was a nightmare and the water is going fast..

and just think, im supposed to drive to SC shortly! wtf am I thinking?

now, considering cancelling my vacation! damn!

Feel bad for me, my whole family has a vacation scheduled for next week in Corolla, NC (Outerbanks) lol We still might go late, depending

on how much havoc the storm causes.

You don't need bottled water, you just need containers. You have good drinking water from your faucet right now. Fill up some containers

and you good to go. I seriously worry about the people in this state sometimes. I don't think they are going to survive the first day of the apocalypse lol

Crap - gonna hafta go for an alternate source then.

You don't need bottled water, you just need containers. You have good drinking water from your faucet right now. Fill up some containers and you good to go.

I want bottles anyway since I use them for work. I can't take big containers with me so I use the regular ones.

OMFG!!

http://www.app.com/article/20110825/NJNEWS10/308250042/Hurricane-Irene-heading-straight-New-Jersey?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage

Gov. Chris Christie today declared a state of emergency in New Jersey, clearing the way for state officials to deploy resources, including the National Guard, and other resources to counties and towns.

Look - I know that Hurricanes are nothing to fool around with but don't you think that we're blowing this way out of proportion people?????????

Honestly, if you've been following the weather the past year or two you wouldnt be saying this... first off this is expected to be one of the worse hurricanes to hit the east coast in the past century. Add the fact that we have had severe flooding episodes in NJ just this past year, and they werent even hurricanes. People have already been evacuated on town scale levels and i personally know people that were stuck in hotels for an entire week just this past spring. Many towns in my area are doomed right now, luckily i live on top of a hill.

Feel bad for me, my whole family has a vacation scheduled for next week in Corolla, NC (Outerbanks) lol We still might go late, depending

on how much havoc the storm causes.

You don't need bottled water, you just need containers. You have good drinking water from your faucet right now. Fill up some containers

and you good to go. I seriously worry about the people in this state sometimes. I don't think they are going to survive the first day of the apocalypse lol

Growing up the Caribbean,I've lived through 5 Hurricanes,earth quakes just about monthly,bush fires,monsoon floods and a waterspout. Just about the only thing we stocked up on was water,kerosene for lamps and a small cooking stove,rum and maybe some canned goods.

Now all these years later,I still stock up the same but now include ammo. And yes New Jerseyites do tend to panic somewhat with every snow storm,nor Easter and now hurricanes.

The unfortunate part is a lot of the flooding is due to stupid people. For instance the dam on hamburg turnpike. They know every spring that there will be flooding. Yet they do not open the gates and let the water down in that huge lake to then allow the water run off to run into the lake and refill it. Instead they leave the lake at capacity so this way as soon as we have rain, the lake starts to flood. Then they go ZOMG'S we can't flood out oakland, so lets open the gates and flood all of pompton lakes, pequannock, pompton plains, and all of route 23 in the wayne/pequannock area and are you ready for the reason MONEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. That's right gentlemen the reason they don't use common sense is money because that lake is in fact a reservoir and they get paid for every drop of water that goes over that dam. So if they let the lake down in preparation they view it as throwing away money.

Isn't this country grand?

Makes me sick

Save money on bottled water. Its a rip-off disaster or not. Unless you are out to eat and get some fancy bottled mineral water, that stuff is great. ;p

As others have said, fill containers with tap water, if it hits bad, start filling your bathtubs up with water. Make sure your drain doesn't leak of course. You'll even have time during the hurricane to do this, municipal water supplies have backup power.

Honestly, if you've been following the weather the past year or two you wouldnt be saying this... first off this is expected to be one of the worse hurricanes to hit the east coast in the past century. Add the fact that we have had severe flooding episodes in NJ just this past year, and they werent even hurricanes. People have already been evacuated on town scale levels and i personally know people that were stuck in hotels for an entire week just this past spring. Many towns in my area are doomed right now, luckily i live on top of a hill.

ha

ha ha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

Oh son - I've been following the weather since before (censored for my own sanity). I "lived" through Gloria. I "lived" through a tornado that touched down in my town and ripped roofs and walls off of houses a block or so from mine.

Let me say this to you:

WHEN IT'S YOUR TIME TO GO, IT'S YOUR TIME TO GO!

NJ just has a tendency to blow EVERYTHING out of proportion. For instance ZOMG IF WE ALLOW CCW THEY'RE GONNA BE BLOOD FLOWING IN THE STREETS. ZOMG THEY'RES GONNA BE 10 FT OF SNOW ON THE GROUND WE NEED BREAD AND EGGS AND MILK AND TOILET PAPER AND OH YEAH SNOW SHOVELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Save money on bottled water. Its a rip-off disaster or not. Unless you are out to eat and get some fancy bottled mineral water, that stuff is great. ;p

As others have said, fill containers with tap water, if it hits bad, start filling your bathtubs up with water. Make sure your drain doesn't leak of course. You'll even have time during the hurricane to do this, municipal water supplies have backup power.

A little late to order his now, but a friend sent me this a while back. It would be perfect for a situation like this:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/CAMP205-1.html

OMFG!!

http://www.app.com/a...|text|Frontpage

Dude, I've been through SEVEN hurricanes...it's best to be prepared for them, than not to be prepared. The declaration of a state of emergency is just a necessary thing to get all the appropriate agencies up and running and in some cases to release funding in case this thing does hit us head on. I was in Puerto Rico for Hurricane Hugo, and the local govt. down there was a f'ng disaster...we went 21 days without power and nearly a month without running water. I'd rather Christie get everything ready in the face of a "possible" emergency, than to sit on his (fat) a** and do nothing...or worse go play golf like the jackass-in-chief.

Dude, I've been through SEVEN hurricanes...it's best to be prepared for them, than not to be prepared. The declaration of a state of emergency is just a necessary thing to get all the appropriate agencies up and running and in some cases to release funding in case this thing does hit us head on. I was in Puerto Rico for Hurricane Hugo, and the local govt. down there was a f'ng disaster...we went 21 days without power and nearly a month without running water. I'd rather Christie get everything ready in the face of a "possible" emergency, than to sit on his (fat) a** and do nothing...or worse go play golf like the jackass-in-chief.

No problem with that at all. Just a point of fact, PR normally has power problems. The only place I ever designed a generator for 100% backup of an auto parts store...

OMFG!!

http://www.app.com/a...|text|Frontpage

MAYBE IT'S TRAINING

I for one only find amusement in the panic.

Scurry, you grasshoppers, scurry!

Oh, and I'm with the others about just worrying about containers. Bottled water is a joke, unless you're the type that drinks with the pinky sticking out. Hey, if that's your prerogative, that's cool, and I respect your need for sparkly water.