tony357

prepping for hurricane..

Were in the process now of evacuating Cape May County. The parkway and most of the secondary roads are backed up, so at best its stop and go. At this point thats about all we can do. From what I heard out of my District our real orders come after the hurricane passes. I pray its nothing like the hurricane of 62, which flatten our barrier island towns and grounded a USN destroyer on LBI. Most of us are are preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

Good luck everyone and batten down your hatches.

I'll be hunkering down at my facility(damn I hate working weekends) we are first responders. Need to stay and make sure those emergency vehicles get fueled yah know.. http://maps.google.c...013937&t=h&z=17 just to give you and idea where we're located at.

Going to be a fun night :locomotive:

You get tides there, I would assume...do you get storm surge?

You get tides there, I would assume...do you get storm surge?

Put it this way, we had that tropical depression hit us last year, the waves were coming over the dock...lol I'll see if I can video it this time around. It does get REALLY nasty there...

What sux about that entire area, it all floods.. every part of it. And I'm talking an easy 2-3ft with a regular downpour..

They survive this crap in Florida every year, a few times a year. The worst part here is not the hurricane, but rather the flooding of poorly designed towns. Prayers for anyone in a flood plane or who lives in north jersey, or anywhere roads flood after a little storm.

They survive this crap in Florida every year, a few times a year. The worst part here is not the hurricane, but rather the flooding of poorly designed towns. Prayers for anyone in a flood plane or who lives in north jersey, or anywhere roads flood after a little storm.

Town design has been the topic all summer around here because of the constant flooding. But then again look at it from the opposite side. Florida towns and houses are hurricane proofed, or at least to the best of their ability, but when it gets below freezing there they have nothing, most houses don't even have heating. its quite the opposite in comparison. We dont really worry about hurricanes up here and consequently were far less prepared.

After this year's spring season people should have a good idea of where they stand in respect to flooding.

Oh, the goodies of the aftermath should be the best part. All of this talk about getting generators, water, and all the ingredients to bake a hurricane cake, and has nobody thought of good bug spray? (If you don't have it already.)

Man oh man, I could imagine the mosquitoes will be the best part yet to come (plus anything else that decides to get into the water).

Oh, the goodies of the aftermath should be the best part. All of this talk about getting generators, water, and all the ingredients to bake a hurricane cake, and has nobody thought of good bug spray? (If you don't have it already.)

Man oh man, I could imagine the mosquitoes will be the best part yet to come (plus anything else that decides to get into the water).

Already have it :)

Town design has been the topic all summer around here because of the constant flooding. But then again look at it from the opposite side. Florida towns and houses are hurricane proofed, or at least to the best of their ability, but when it gets below freezing there they have nothing, most houses don't even have heating. its quite the opposite in comparison. We dont really worry about hurricanes up here and consequently were far less prepared.

After this year's spring season people should have a good idea of where they stand in respect to flooding.

the homes in FL, at least the ones I looked at, very much have heating systems. =)

Most of southern Florida barely has heating, i know my dad's has a heat pump. But the point i was making is that they aren't nearly prepared to deal with the cold like we are. and vice verse with hurricanes. When they get a strait week of freezing temps its a big deal, we deal with that all winter long..

Most of southern Florida barely has heating, i know my dad's has a heat pump. But the point i was making is that they aren't nearly prepared to deal with the cold like we are. and vice verse with hurricanes. When they get a strait week of freezing temps its a big deal, we deal with that all winter long..

But here is the thing... I dont think the hurricane itself is the biggest issue, I doubt many windows will break. Most of the damage will likely be the flooding and the horrid infrastructure to handle it.

Flooding is not something foreign to NJ.

Bug spray? Nope - Thermacell!

Flooding will surely be the issue. I heard that they are planning on closing 23 at the usual spots already. As we all were taught to sing:

Row, row, row your boat

Gently down the stream

Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily

Life is but a dream...

Bug spray? Nope - Thermacell!

Flooding will surely be the issue. I heard that they are planning on closing 23 at the usual spots already. As we all were taught to sing:

Hey, for those who never put their boats in the water this year... here is your chance, the water is coming to you. =P

But here is the thing... I dont think the hurricane itself is the biggest issue, I doubt many windows will break. Most of the damage will likely be the flooding and the horrid infrastructure to handle it.

Flooding is not something foreign to NJ.

Very true, but we seem to, well, run around with our hair on fire when it happens. This time at least they are taking per-cautions.

can anyone verify if Somers Point NJ is being evacuated or as any travel restrictions in place?

Don't plan on getting on the parkway. It's closed southbound of exit 98 in about 10 minutes.

My family has family in Absecon and they're under voluntary evac, AC is under mandatory evac and somers point isn't that far away.

If I were you I'd stay away, the traffic is going to be murder.

NEW JERSEY EVACUATIONS

(updated at 4:55 p.m. Friday)

MANDATORY

Atlantic City

Avalon

Barnegat Light

Bayhead

Beach Haven

Brick (barrier island)

Cape May

Cape May Point

Dennis Township

Harvey Cedars

Keansburg

Lavallette

Long Beach

Lower Township

Ocean City

North Wildwood

Point Pleasant Beach

Sea Isle City

Ship Bottom

Stone Harbor

Surf City

Toms River (beach areas and barrier island)

Upper Township

West Cape May

West Wildwood

Wall Township

Wildwood

Wildwood Crest

Woodbine

VOLUNTARY

Bayonne

Belleville

Berkeley Township

Hoboken

Jersey City

Lacey Township (east of route 9)

Old Bridge

Perth Amboy

Sayreville

South Amboy

Woodbridge

the homes in FL, at least the ones I looked at, very much have heating systems. =)

Just like my friends down there who bust my chops in the winter when I can't ride due to snow, they tell me they know it's winter when they don't hear the AC turn on for 2 days in a row. :)

Harry

My god, voluntary evac for Old bridge and areas? Sheesh.

In all seriousness, if anyone needs a place to stay, let me know. Don't have space at home, yet office in Princeton is open for anyone to hang out to ride out the storm. Besides, my fishes need company. :sarcastichand:

Ummm, nothing about this upcoming storm makes me think of blackhawks, little birds, or somali war criminals. :blink:

Haha, he's talking about [probably the most famous] go-word, "Irene"

ETA: Which, in my unit, was the alternative way of saying SNAFU

Well, this is gonna suck.

Yes it is...we got the recorded phone message from the mayor's office "recommending" that we evacuate. Still deciding if we stick it out or we pack up the van and head out to West PA...Pittsburgh?

Yes it is...we got the recorded phone message from the mayor's office "recommending" that we evacuate. Still deciding if we stick it out or we pack up the van and head out to West PA...Pittsburgh?

Dude, someone on 1st street boarde up their windows. Idiots